Hello,

I wanted to pose a question to the group to see if anyone had suggestions for non-academic summer experiences (camp-like) for gifted kids. My 12 year old son is double grade skipped at school and taking multiple high school classes during the school year. He doesn't want to take more classes over the summer.

As I researched summer camp options, all I seem to be able to find for gifted kids are academic camps (university or other setting) that ultimately involve more academic classes (even if they are wrapped by some social/night activities).

My son enjoys being outdoors (boating, skiing, hiking, etc.) and would really like an "Outward Bound" kind of program, but all of these types of programs seem to be for troubled kids. It really seems like a mountaineering/wilderness program where gifted kids could do these kinds of outdoor activities with similar minded peers should exist.

The closest thing I could find are various "nature" camps. Not exactly what I or my son have in mind.

If anyone has some ideas, or knows of any options, I'd super-appreciate your thoughts!