It seems silly, but I realize that I don't really have a good idea of what a typical non-gifted 2nd grader would be reading. Magic Tree House?

The reason I am thinking about it is that my very mathy DS8 has finally gotten the reading bug, just at the point where I was becoming concerned about how far his reading lagged behind his math (although I have always been told that his reading is at or slightly above expectations). Over the course of the last month, my kid who would resist reading anything with more than 4-5 lines on one page has suddenly started reading Osborne's version of the Odyssey and just told me that he checked out the Lightning Thief from the library and read the first 20 pages right away (yep, here's the Greek mythology obsession!). I am thrilled that he is starting to read books that are closer to his comprehension level, which has always been very high. However, I don't really know how this fits with what typical 2nd graders do. I have a p/t conference in a week and I had planned on going in with a request for more math differentiation, but now I am wondering about reading. Should ask for something in that area or will he be ok with the typical curriculum? I'm just not sure? I don't want to go in with too many demands, but I also want to make sure he is getting what he needs. TIA for any ideas on this.