Here's a quote from that thread:

Originally Posted by knute974
We haven't done the high school but my kids did try the math program through their school. My kids (DD8 and DD10) both hated the program for what I will call aesthetic reasons. The program was not visually interesting and the man who lectured had a dry, droning voice. You might ask if you could see a sample before you sign up.

EPGY sent me a sample of the geometry course materials. Aesthetics are definitely lacking. The course materials were LaTeXed/TeXed (so, all black and white).

Now, I wrote my M.Sc. and Ph.D. theses with LaTex and know how powerful it is and how far ahead of its time it was. But for me, LaTex isn't a good choice for course materials. Color is generally a superior way to highlight important points and is definitely better for diagrams. Actually, I livened up my thesis by including colored graphs. I just left big blank spaces on my LaTexed pages and then ran them through the color printer to add the graphs. I also glued color photos into the thesis.

Re: the boring man. I think that part of the Khan Academy's popularity stems from the guy's voice and the way he speaks. He has a nice voice and he changes his tone when he lectures, which makes him easier to follow.