I'm not sure whether to post this here or under twice-exceptional, but I'll start here first.

I have a 2e 4th grade boy, 9 years old. He has SPD, stealth dyslexia, dysgraphia and questionable ADHD. We are currently on a trial of ritalin and have been engaging in conversations about how he feels on the medication. He told me today that it helps him concentrate better on the easy, boring stuff, but makes it hard to think straight on the more challenging, interesting stuff.

His comment really made me think about the many times it has been brought up on this board that he may not have ADHD at all and his "inattention" may be due to a lack of challenge. In fact, he is a special math class this year that the gifted teacher decided to do at the last minute. She has only 10 students in the class and they are covering everything at a very accelerated pace. They hesitated to put DS in the class because of his 2e status, but decided to give it a try. The first few days, the teacher thought she had done the wrong thing...but then something clicked and he has an A+ in the class. He is doing better than almost every other student. She also says that he has absolutely no problem with maintaining focus in her class.

So, I guess my question is....has anyone ever grade skipped a 2e child? It is hard to advocate for more challenging work when it seems that the child can't do the "easy" work he is currently doing. How do you know if your child needs a grade skip?