I am in Australia too, and I think I know where you had teh tests done. If my guess is right, we used the same testers and we are very happy with them, the report and the service provided. We have not had any school look at the report and say he requires further testing (yet).

27 is very large for a kindy or yr 1 class. It would be very hard for the teacher to provide any level of differentiation to such a large class. Isn't the maximum for kindy 24 students, or is that a NSW rule?

In your place, I too would be frustrated.

My suggestions is to speak to the principal, with or without the school psych present, and explain that the testing has been done through an external well regarded psych practice. Arm yourself with a table of how the results translate, and an FSIQ in the 99.5th percentile means that that people of his capability or above occurs only 1 in 200 at most. You can use the hoagies table (though I would not say that is totally accurate as I have seen others where the scores and rarity for SB5 and WISC4 are about 1 to 1). It's just a comparison to show what an FSIQ on SB5 would translate to on WISC4, eliminating the need to retest.

If you have samples of work that your child has done outside of school showing he is able to do much more than what is provided, perhaps you can bring that.

Lastly, is the testing done at the start of the year Best Start? If so, it will say nothing about your child's ability or achievement. teh testing, from what I understand, is basic - can he recognise some letetrs, shapes and colours? Can he count to 20? That sort of thing. It does not test the limit of his reading or comprehension, nor his math skills.

Last edited by mamaknits; 10/21/11 07:04 PM.