DD8 is in a 2/3 split. She's in the 3rd grade part. Every instinct in me is SCREAMING that this is a TERRIBLE idea! But, we've never tried this, so I've gone along with it, thinking maybe, just maybe, this could be "the thing".

Pros-this teacher has been more willing to get to know DD and is trying harder than any other, communicating, etc...only 20 kids in this class, one with an aide and another with an aide is supposed to be leaving, so this class is like 6 kids less than the regular third grade.

Cons-it's not like this is a 2/3 gifted class. And I think my DD might be the only gifted in this class. ALL the other kids that I KNOW tested GATE last year are in the the regular third grade and that teacher is GATE certified. The 2nd graders are rather immature and push each other around and wiggle more, etc. One kid cries EVERY DAY, at least once!

I honestly think my DD has already earned a reputation as somewhat of a problem and the other teacher didn't want her. Other parents that I trust assure me that Mrs W (our teacher) IS the one who would be most likely to help the most, but how much can she give when she has TWO classes to teach?!

We're already starting with a gifted psych who was REALLY displeased when I told her about this. SHe said she would have taken her child right back home. I have been told they do not do ANY ability grouping in our District, except reading groups and the GATE cluster and seminar classes (we do not have seperate GATE program at our school). When I mentioned possibly moving my DD, it seems pretty clear that is NOT even on the table, though I don't think I want the other 3rd grade teacher now anyway...

I'm just wondering if anyone else can see any upside of this. I thought it might be DD's chance to be the example, maybe have more responsibility or something, but I think the 2nd graders just bug the heck out of her, you know?

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...