I think there has to be balance of course, between what you love and putting food on the table. But some of the most successful people that we all know and the ones I know personally have found success in their passion.

For example, I always loved nature. My dad always took us to natl parks and hiking, etc. So I was pretty surprised when he discouraged me from pursing a degree in Range Management. He always pushed 3 career options at me...nurse, electrician/computers or engineer. I have wondered often, why not say "Why stop at nurse, why not go for doctor?"

Now that I am a parent myself, I'm not saying you should PUSH them at a non traditional career, but rather give them support and the tools to see how their passion CAN become a rewarding and fulfilling career. Not everyone's idea of success is the same. My husband finds his job extremely satisfying, enjoys the people he works with, but is still super happy to come home to us. Me, I bounced around from job to job, always having the same problem that people thought I was flip or insolent when I used advanced language or tried some problem solving. That is looked down upon in "cog-land". So, I chucked it all and follwed my first love of sewing and fabrics. And while I am not rich, I know I model job satisfaction and career/fmaily balance to my kids. I set my own hours and don't have to worry about performance evals, etc.

I personally know SEVERAL people who are even high school dropouts with very successful businesses, etc.

It's just supposed to be a fun thread about what your gifted kid and how their quirks might make them more successfun in a nontraditional career smile

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...