We have had people tell us that they get migraines and they don't have these problems. They don't come out and finish that by saying "therefore, thinking problems cannot possibly be caused by migraines" but that is what they were implying.

I have another example of how the migraines affect my son's "performance." We take videos of my son's musical theater performances. The first two performances of Once Upon a Mattress went well, no problems, but he started getting a headache before the third. He took medication in time to take away most of the pain in time to do the show, but then it came time to do one of his big solos that had a lot of parts to it. During the song, the princess had to perform certain actions in response to the lyrics my son. who played the prince, had just sung. He accidentally skipped one of the parts and they both had to improvise so that the paying audience could not tell that anything had gone wrong. If I hadn't known how it was supposed to go, I wouldn't have noticed it at all. I told him this but he still felt bad about it. When we played back the video he saw all the parts where the other kids (who have no disabilities) had also messed up. It was the performers' ability to improvise that allowed the show to go on and be as good as the performances where there were no problems.

My son's ability to compensate for so many things is one of the reasons people have a hard time believing that he has disabilities. When you add ability to compensate to his very articulate speech and his ability to memorize and the way he somehow knows more about things that are happening in the news than a lot of adults because he reads a lot and looks up things he doesn't know, it is hard for people to believe he has any kind of learning disability.