Originally Posted by Jenniferok
GAI 148 (does this seem right?)
I think 148 is exactly right based on
http://www.ksde.org/Portals/0/Special%20Education%20Services/gifted/WISCIVTechReport4.pdf

Which means the IQ score definitely is above the DYS cutoff.

I think a video of him talking about sports and some material, video with a white board, of him engaging the EPGY work would be a good course to take for a DYS application. You may get a 'we need more info' - but there is no penalty for that.

It may indeed by that this son is underachieving and will a bit of attention his achievement scores would come up a bit, or it may be that some kind of bottleneck is blocking his achievement, or developmentally it might just not be his moment.

I think working with the teacher to figure out how he can be 'carroted' into actually learning something during the school day with being able to present to a group of listeners would be good. If he loves sports there is a lot of reading/history/economics/statistics doors to open through that.

And now to sibling guilt. No parent can give every child everything - Parents of only children have more time and money to spend on a singleton, but those kids miss out on the very valuable experience of having a sibling. If you are self aware enough to feel bad, use that emotion to observe, plan and change. I've heard that airplanes are off course 90% of the time, but they get there, right?

Someday I'll invent a machine that you can strap on to each child's head before bed to measure if 'all is well' or not. Until then 'celebrate' your ability to feel that twinge of guilt, ok?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com