Thanks for your suggestions! Revmom, yes ds missed the cut off by 4 days so he turned 8 the second week of school. He actually, mentioned to me that he thinks he could be in 3rd grade no problem! lol

But seriously, if it weren't for the visual processing concerns, we might consider it. He is still assessed at right above grade level in reading (so the school doesn't see a problem there) but I know he is underachieving for him. Reading is such a struggle for him physically, I think we'd have to make some serious progress there before I would consider a skip.

Honestly, what I really want I probably can't get. Which is an accelerated curriculum. Let him go on to the next unit if he has clearly mastered the current instead of hanging around doing worksheets and playing dice games until everyone else gets through it. But I recognize that this would be rather challenging for his teacher who is differentiating within the classroom (in 1st they switched classes for math, but 2nd has decided to keep the kids in their homerooms, which seems like a huge challenge to me).