For us, Belle, this was the biggest benifit of joining Davidson's Young Scholar Program. We got very lucky with that.
I would suggest attending some sort of gifted program, such as those organized by your state, or these:

www.hoagiesgifted.org/conferences.htm

and hand out 'business cards' with contact info, and bring a black book to set up future playdates.

Also ask the teachers (and Gifted Coordinator if there is one) for some possible names. Teachers might be willing to help by pairing up your son at school projects with likely other boys.

Also try local chess clubs and robotic teams and library book clubs (maybe start a parent/child book club if there is none)
Is there a local train enthusiast's club? Geology group? Coin group? Even if it's for adults, I would attend with your son to try and contact some 'likely' social sources.

Once you've chased down some possibilities, I'd use the book 'Friends Forever' to make the most of your hard work.

How are our kids supposed to practice their social skills when there are so few kids on their wavelength?

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com