Hi,

I am wondering what inattentive ADD would look like in a otherwise gifted preschool boy? Seems like non-hyper ADD is mostly seen in girls and is usually diagnosed in elementary or later school years as a result of unexepectedly poor school performance. What would it look like in a preschooler?

I've had a few experiences with DS lately where I thought, "Phew, he's acting so normal, maybe he's normal after all". But in retrospect one time was a day of airplane connections measured in minutes, and the other time that stands out was on his first trip to the ER. Those two days he seemed to me slightly eccentric but fully functional, whereas the rest of the time I question the latter part. So I'm thinking that if he's mainly normal at times when other people are stressed out then maybe I should think about ADD, which runs in the family except as ADHD. Since DS can concentrate for long periods of time such as listening to audio CDs, drawing things for hours, I had kind of assumed it wasn't an issue. But he isn't much asked to do things he didn't choose, and when he is he doesn't do them even though he thinks he will. Perhaps that is just the age and parenting style though.

Anyone have a ADD boy who they noticed as a preschooler and what did you notice?

Polly

Last edited by Polly; 08/30/11 09:26 PM.