Hello,

I am new here and just wondering if you guys think I should keep fighting to get my DS9 "formally identified" at his school.

Last year while in 3rd grade they gave him the CogAT, based on his score (135/99 percentile/9 Stanine)the school asked for my permission to have him take the OLSAT to see if he qualified for the G/T program. On the OLSAT he scored 123/95 percentile/8 Stanine. They sent home a letter saying he did qualify for the G/T program. For more information, his score on the MAP tests; Math 224/96 percentile, Reading 218/96 percentile, Language usage 222/97 percentile, General Science 211/94 percentile, Concepts and Processes 209/96 percentile.
His Score on the ITBS test; Vocabulary 240/9 Stanine/99 percentile, Reading Comp 246/9 stanine/99 percentile, Reading total 243/9 stanine/99 percentile, Concepts & Estimation 234/9 stanine/99 percentile, Prob. solv & data interp 234/9 stanine/97 percentile, Math computation 226/9 stanine/99 percentile, Math total 231/9 stanine/99 percentile. Lexile test; 1024/8 stanine/96 percentile.

I just had a meeting with his teacher, principal and the district chair of the G/T program. My problem is that they kept telling me, that at this time, my DS is not "formally identified" and could not offer him any services, until he was. I kept asking when they will, if they will, "identify" him, and their response was "the law states that they have to identify G/T in the fourth grade, so they have till the end of the school year." They also tell me that there is more than test scores and grades that go into identifying; i.e. teacher recommendations, social habits and leadership qualities, but wont tell me if he has gotten those.

I know that my son has gotten bored in his earlier grades and it has been brought to my attention that he finishes his work quickly (all correct) and then gets in trouble for playing or disrupting other students. So, I would like to have him challenged more in his classes.
But, right now I feel like the more I fight the more they drag their heels.
Do you think I should keep fighting to have him "formally identified"?

Thank you!!

Just an FYI, switching schools really isn't an option, there are very few private schools around and home schooling would not work with my husband's and my work schedules.