Originally Posted by islandofapples
That is kind of what I am thinking. Since I am writing articles along these lines, I am thinking that parents would appreciate knowing what kinds of things they can do to help their child develop optimally.
Around here often the idea is to know what sorts of thing notto do in order to avoid the child developing 'optimally.' ((Humor Alert))
Raising IQ must be a concern somewhere on the Internet, but I come here to find out how to get the rest of the child (EQ, fine motor, gross motor, work ethic, organizational skills) to stay sort of caught up to the high IQ.

Actually I feel guilty enough about my genetic contribution, which I couldn't help, but I have to admit that I do think I provided an enriched environment by making seeing patterns a ton of fun. And singing for joy. Human brains are usually built to be pleasure seeking, so adults who enjoy 'brainy' things are going to share that fun with their kids if conditions are decent. Here's another thought - learning is easier than teaching. I listend to an audio program about Primate learning, and one has to get quite close to humans before much thoughtful teaching goes on.

In teaching there is a difference between demonstrating a skill, and demonstrating a skill, observing the student perform the skill and giving a 'just right' bit of babystep instruction. I'm currently listening to a book that says humans have many more 'mirror neurons'than other primates that allow us to form a virtual model of an other person based on observation.

So I think that people with high skill in the teaching process are going to help their kids enjoy learning more and that lots of high IQ parents will fit into that catagory.

Yeah, so I did lots of attachment parenting things, but fed him lunch meat and 'crap' (if one really doesn't want to ruffle feathers, than it's worth taking an extra minute to edit and replacing words like crap with conventional - BTW)
We also know that if a child is exposed to toxic chemicals (all kids are today) and eats a crap diet, this can lead to health problems.

and let him play with anything - mouthing and all, plus daycare from age 7 weeks, 'cause I was back to work. To be honest, I think that every decision has good and bad outcomes. Being more careful than cultural norms isn't risk free.

I'll tell you what I'm still curious about - we didn't let him sleep on his stomach for fear of SIDS. I think all those extra startles were bad for him in the long run. I wonder about the science and politics behind that whole 'back to sleep' movement.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com