I've posted before about being worried about DS now 5.5 and writing. He has made huge strides and now writes and draws for pleasure. His letters are not perfect but that's fine and they are getting better the more he does it. Numbers are now what the letters were, problematic. He's more interested in them so we are now noticing that he is having trouble in that he is reversing them. A relative said the dreaded d word, disappointed, so irritating, just because he was discussing prime numbers doesn't mean he can't have trouble writing them!!! Anyhow, I talked to him to make sure the relative hadn't undone all we had done and he knew we were super proud of the strides he made, his willingness to try, and is willingness to be corrected (which he is so much more open to).He is no longer resistant to learning it, which is awesome. What made me so pissed off with the relative is that he might have an LD like me, and they know that and are concerned so if he does, you would still say you are disappointed!!

But in talking to DS I noticed something, when he has something to copy, he is slow but does it correctly in terms of direction and overall look of the letter or number. But if he is trying to do it from memory, he is much slower, and often does it mirror imaged. I asked him what he thinks while he is writing without something to look at. First he thinks he won't be able to do it right (trying not to cry) then I said, no what does it look like in your head, like in a book, or like in a mirror. And he said in a mirror! But this is only with numbers now, he used to do it with letters but not anymore,although he is still pretty deliberate just not as slow.

Is this a concern, or am I just able to see, and he can describe, the development. Not sure what to make of it.

Thanks,

DeHe