I am wondering if Ruf's LOG and their emphasis on early reading (what I personally view as overemphasis) has started to create unnecessary angst and perhaps hothousing of reading skills among the toddler/pre-school parent set. Or do you think this has always existed. It just seems like recently I keep coming across posts, conversations, emails, etc. where people feel like if their children are not reading by age [fill in the blank] they can't possibly be gifted, and that bums me out, because first, I think pushing isn't a good thing (of course I am all for child lead learning) and because I think there are plenty of gifted kids of all levels who don't fit into her LOG list.

I really like Dr. Ruf, but I am growing increasingly skeptical of the LOG early signs (not the fact that LOG exist) as well as the need to figure out at such an early age just where a child falls on the scale.

What do you think?

PS - this is intended to be a polite conversation about an interesting topic that I worry causes some parents to stress.

Cat