Today I dragged Mite to a gifted and talented meeting. I couldn't convince DS15 to go, and tonight I think he regrets it. Mite literally stomped (yes he is a stomper in spite of his mellow, easy going nature) his foot in the parking lot and said he wasn't going in to be with those "DORKS!!!"

Well, 3 hours later Momma saw a happy, laughing little fellow running through the hall (he who never breaks such rules!!) with other happy, laughing little kiddos. "Oh! Momma! This is so much fun. These kids are so COOOL!" He had, in those 3 hours, made a volcano, an ocean diorama and a pop bottle tornado (gee I wonder why he picked THAT project??!!! and I'm soooooo glad the parent coordinators were so discretely helpful in helping him accomplish those tasks). He, having OEs, insisted we stop by the USBORNE tables and buy the Volcano and Weather books! Tonight he's on the internet looking up the very topics.

Then the 3 hours in the afternoon found him a friend and chess mate! Now he wants a 4-player chess board and a chess club in the neighborhood!

I can't emphasize enough how wonderful it was to see him HAPPY in a LEARNING environment!!! He is always so stoic and serious at school. It was wonderful seeing him RUN THROUGH THE HALL with glee!!!

Being 2e isn't easy in the real world. It's nice to give them a chance to be themselves and have peers.

Willa Gayle