Yes. I mean literally karate chopping! Allow me to explain...

My son is 5yrs old (starting kindergarten next year) and we've noticed the same pattern of behavior has been following him since preschool. He's always liked to play rough--nothing too crazy, just typical boy roughhousing, but never-the-less disruptive enough to be brought to our attention several times. We figured if he wanted to play rough, let him do it someplace where it is acceptable and positive--enter Jiu-Jitsu lessons. BUT, he does it outside of class (punching, kicking, etc) not in anyway that is malicious or mean, but more of a way that's playful or attention seeking
But it's also disruptive and potentially dangerous. He also likes to do his "crazy dance" which actually has caused a couple of injuries (accidentally clocked a girl in the face).

It's not something that he does ALL the time, but enough to be disruptive. Even now, during summer camp his counselors say they try, but it's a bit of a problem (they try talking to him, warning him, time-outs etc)

Okay, so here's my question:

Is this just a typical 5 yr. old boy acting out thing, a personality thing or a characteristic of being gifted and by that I mean the following: Gavin is several yrs. ahead of his peers academically and likes to engage in discussion that is beyond what typical 5 yr. olds talk about. Given that, might this be his way of connecting to his peers, kind of like class clown syndrome; subconsciously saying to himself, "well, I can't discuss the Periodic Table or Algebra with them, but I can crazy dance and play Jiu-Jitsu". Or, might it be all that energy that he wants to direct into something academically challenging has to be channeled somewhere.

We have discussed it with him, but all he can offer is that he's just practicing his Jiu-Jitsu (yes, we've also discussed appropriate time/place etc.)

We're not sure what to make of it (or what to do about it) especially considering that next year he will be in kindergarten where this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

Sorry this post is so long!! Thanks for reading--would love to get some feedback : )