I wish school would of given her a speech about Multiplication facts over the summer. She was suppose to know them last year, with quick recall. That didn't happen.

Originally Posted by master of none
Somehow, you have to make her own the skill. If you are telling her she must do it, it's a battle of you and her. If you are telling her that school expects the kids to know these before they start school next year and then give her the choice, it's more likely she'll give it a try. Maybe not now, but when she encounters it in school and finds you are right. IMO it's more important to develop an independent motivated learner. Don't worry, Saxon is probably a little slow for our kids anyway.

If the kids haven't mastered math facts before 4th grade in your school, or the school hasn't told you she needs to learn them, then I might let it rest and let her come to her own conclusions. Then be there to support her when she is ready to learn them. If you make it too much of a battle, she's more likely to resist.

This is exactly the issue I need to overcome.

Originally Posted by master of none
Is it possible that this is her first time that answers don't just pop into her head, and she actually needs to work to remember? You may find talking to her about the process of memorizing useful- play memory games and point out in a positive way, the strategies she is already using, then suggest she try them with math facts.

I think this is very possible. When she doesn't know something like spelling words she wants to review on her own before I quizz her.

Could you tell me how to talk about memorization to her?

Last edited by onthegomom; 07/25/11 06:18 AM.