I love the "I see x # of errors" idea.

Merely circling the errors without correcting them can be useful, too. Not cheating.

You can help with content without directing too much, though it's a skill that takes a little finesse, and you do move out of strictly editing into tutoring when you do this. But if you're mom, I think that's perfectly fine.

I often helped students--the ones with no thesis statement, for example--to make substantial revisions. The trick is to ask questions only, tell them nothing, ever. Answer questions with questions, even.

"What's your point?" or "If you had to tell me your whole paper in just one sentence, what would that sentence be?" are good questions to ask to get them to a thesis.

"What are you trying to say?" or "What do you mean?" are great for helping students to clarify murky or overly complicated language, then write down their answers word-for-word, capturing it *exactly* as they say it. Most people speak more clearly than they write, and they can get all wrapped up in words to the point that they forget the meaning they intend. You wouldn't believe the number of times students I tutored said to me "You're a genius!" when I used this technique. (Literally dozens over the course of 5 years of teaching and tutoring...Once three students in a row said it. LOL!) It cracked me up every time, and I always pointed out that it was their words; I just wrote them down.

I've gone a little OT, but maybe it will help all those moms struggling with how to help a little, but not too much? smile

Kriston