Originally Posted by nkh74
Hi everyone,

Some background: my eldest son is 10, with a Sept 17th birthday. It has always been very, very clear that he is an intelligent boy, though I didn't always realize it with him being my first.

<SNIP>

This year I had him take the NUMATS and he did really well. English: 23, Math: 21, Reading: 22, Science: 25.

<SNIP>

Are his EXPLORE scores high enough to warrant a grade skip? I read a lot about high school classes not being a good fit for gifted children. He does have classic Nutty Professor syndrome when it comes to being organized, etc. Strangely enough, the junior high has a class that is dedicated to Executive Function but the principal told me that was only for the kids who are behind in grades.

Your son was in 6th grade when he took the EXPLORE? You could read the thread "Need honesty...EXPLORE scores, how far to advance?" , in particular the message http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....d_honesty_EXPLORE_scores.html#Post102408 . According to the book "Developing Math Talent" your son in in the "C" group, for which grade skipping should be considered. Others wrote in that thread that they considered the book's recommendations to be aggressive.

I recommend having your son take the SAT. If he does well, high school courses may be appropriate. My eldest son, who entered KG at 4, has done very well on the EXPLORE as a 3rd grader. I think he could handle further acceleration intellectually, but we won't push for it because he is not especially mature. I want my son to get into the most selective colleges and want to give him plenty of time to become the academic "machine" he will need to be in grades 9-12 to acommplish that. I don't know if similar considerations apply in your case.

Last edited by Bostonian; 06/28/11 02:19 PM. Reason: typo

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell