Yep. That's my DS(newly)9 to a "T". It makes it impossible for me to get a handle on what he needs, or even whether or not he is gifted. With DD11 it was always obvious that she needed different work in school (not that it necessarily led to different work). With DS9, I think he would respond well to a different instructional approach with a high level of challenge, but I don't know for sure. He has two modes when it comes to learning and work: this-is-way-too-easy and this-is-too-hard! As a result, I haven't pushed for much in school.

What scares me about it is that I know part of it is that he knows his sister is advanced and is secretly worried that he is not. If he continues on like this, he will not be a top achiever, no matter smart he is, because the number of things he is willing to be "new" at will not allow him to keep up with the number of things learned by kids who don't share this trait. I believe that this will confirm all of his secret fears and make the problem even worse.

BTW, we did use ALEKS for awhile and it was not a good solution for him. He loved anything he could do quickly (e.g. vocabulary based learning: parallel, commutative, etc.) and anything he already knew how to solve. He had meltdowns when confronted by anything he wasn't sure he could do, and Quicktables...yikes! The whole timed response through him into all out panic.

He is a sponge for new information, and quickly picks up nearly any new academic skill once he stops melting down about it and looks at it (really--5 minutes of yelling or tears for a problem he finds himself able to solve in 20-30 seconds). It's exhausting.