Originally Posted by laura0896
My 8 year old has been accepted into G&T public school system and JH CTY program.

Looking at his scores he was 99% on standardized MAP test.

I homeschooled one afternoon a week and got him a math tutor.

Now finished grade 2, I am advocating for him to be placed in grade 4 math only upon entrance into grade 3. I suggested the school pretest him to be sure he will demonstrate mastery.
Hi Laura -
Immersion programs can be a terrific way to help kids who are strong academically not get bored, but the structure can have ridgities that get in the way too.

I would encourage you to look at the 'overall' picture: "Are my child's learning needs being met in school overall? What can I do to 'tweak' the picture so that it will be a 'good enough' fit?"

Partial homeschooling might be the way to go, although if there are truely peers in his classroom, learning with peers has advantages.

I would want: The actual score of the MAP in Math and Reading, so you can look at those charts and ask - where would my child be barely in the top 10% of his class? Your local school system might be very different than the national norms - so ask to see 3 other MAP scores within 5 points of your child's score - not percentile!!! (They can black out the names of the kids)

Then I would request, in writing, an IQ test. This is to help 'predict' that his educational needs will continue to be more 'intense' than other children.

Subject accelerations are wonderful, but sometimes they need full skips or partial homeschooling or afterschooling in the mix to make them work. Sometimes subject accelerations create awkward situations later: My brothers and a few of their friends went up a grade in Math for 1st grade, and continued until 6th grade, when the 7th grade schoolbuilding was across town, so they just did 6th grade Math for a second time.

So I'm suggesting to step back and look carefully at the whole picture. It may be that something as simple as coming in once a week to do challenging Math problems with the top MAP scoring kids in 3rd and 4th grade will give your child what they need. Or not - you might really need a full skip, or more.

The fact that looking at the 3rd grade math workbook makes you want to cry is important data. But look at the 4th grade math workbook first before you make any wistful decisions. Even better, if possible - visit the 3rd and 4th grade Math classroom and observe.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com