I have a 6yo son who was diagnosed with Asperger's last year. I do struggle with that a bit as a diagnosis, to my mind he's not got the obsessiveness & ritualistic type behaviours, though he does have other traits. I'm no expert of course. It's been a label that's accessed him a lot of help smile He's had a few different tests performed, and nobody really seems to be able to tell me just what is going on. Any insights would be very welcome.

He is in Year 1 and achieving at a high level at school in both reading (5th grade level with great understanding) and maths (not extended at all, but all results usually in the top 1-3 of his year), but struggles with written tasks, maintaining attention & following instructions.

WPPSI-III (perf at 5y11m) - I haven't been given subset scores, just the following:

PIQ 98th percentile
VIQ 50th percentile
PSQ 37th percentile

He is visibly slow in processing & responding to speech. His speech lacks the correct rhythm. We have worked heavily on his social language, and he's improved dramatically over the past year, but it was an enormous issue. Under all that though he has an amazing vocabulary, and good general ability with language.

He had LiSN-S (Listening in Spatialized Noise) assessment today, and the results indicated that he has difficulty understanding speech in background noise (>3 SD below the mean), but that his spatial processing ability is within the normal range (1 SD below the mean). Apparently had he showed spatial difficulties it would have pointed towards CAPD, but as it was they couldn't give us a reason for his troubles.

Raven's Matrices - above 98th percentile (this was conducted by school this year to determine selection for the gifted program. They begrudgingly told me the result verbally when I asked why he was not included).

Conners Rating Scales for ADHD indicated attention problems, hyperactivity, impulsiveness & social problems.

In short there's an amazing little guy in there. He struggles in many ways, but his school achievement is great considering the deficits. I'm not exactly sure where we need to go next or what we can do for him. He doesn't receive any support or extension at school, though he's with an excellent teacher who has been amazing for him. Learning support seem to see him as not needing help.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking, but I'd appreciate any thoughts.