Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
I'm back from the meeting. I would say it went great! We discussed ds5's scores on the spring MAP (he isn't in kinder yet but was compared to current kinder kids). He score well above the district average in reading just not quite (missed by 4 points and 10 percentile points) the grade skip. That being said... they will subject accelerate for math! Sheila
Yippee!
That is a wonderful commitment!
Be sure to send an email to everyone involved restating what you heard for the purpose of having a paper trail. It's really important. I sent one once and got a quick respose: "Oh, those were just ideas, we don't actually plan to do any of that!"

I was floored. Were we even at the same meeting? But that is the nature of humans, and so we must, must document.

Here's how I might do it in you situation:

Dear Mr. X,
Thanks so much for our meeting today. It was really clear to me how caring and profession you and your staff are - what a pleasure to be working with you.

I wanted to double check the current plan, because sometimes I misunderstand things.

I heard you say that in September, the incoming Kindergardeners will be MAP tested to look for a cluster group for my son in Math. (BTW, what are you planning to use for the cut off? 90%? 95%? 97%)

If there are kids 'near enough' then they will be taught 1st grade Math in a Kindergarten room by the 1st grade teacher.

If there are no kids 'near enough' then my son will go to the first grade room during Math time.

I think this a good plan, and will really help EJ succede at school.
Vry Sincerely Yours,

I think achievement testing to do the local programing sounds great, and a WISC at age 6 is a very good way to go. Did the school hint that they might do this? I sure hope so.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com