My son is extremely dysgraphic and received intense OT from age 2 to grade 3. Typing is difficult for him (he used type to learn program), but at least what he types is legible. I am a huge advocate for key boarding, but I want you to consider the down side.

Students need to attain some level of handwriting functionality. They need to fill out forms, do math problems, jot down notes. Handwriting like any skill is subject to regression if not used. "Use it or loose it". And, if it is a weakness, it is more likely to regress.

Although keyboarding is widely accessible - schools can even down load worksheets so they can be completed on the computer - there are times where a student needs to write. I'm not sure the "right" age to transition to technology, but I do caution to be thoughtful about the timing and the transition itself.

My son began keyboarding in 4th grade, and by 6th grade virtually all written work transitioned to the computer. (except math). He has not used Dragon - as others have mentioned, it is not as easy as it seems. The program needs to be trained (and pubescent voices are a problem), plus the child needs to be able to differentiate from "spoken" and "written" expression. They must also have the organizational, mechanical, grammatical skills in place to use the program. These are the skills my son has been working on and we plan to trial Dragon this summer (rising freshman).

There are Math programs that allow one to use the computer as Master of none mentioned. We haven't tried them yet - DS seems to be able to keep up with handwriting in math - but they are on our radar screen.

But, as always, we try to balance the need for traditional accessibility (ie handwriting) vs moving completely over to the computer.