Wow thanks everyone! I am both relieved and enlightened! We actually did put him in a handful of piano lessons at age 3.5 but he didn't seem to be motivated to practice at home, he just wanted to experiment on the keyboard, so we stopped.

I wonder if I should be nurturing this ability -- but when I called around for piano teachers at that time, they all had such different philosophies and I'm not sure how to find the teacher that would be right for him.

Also, I struggle with what to focus on with this kid! I have a French interest so from birth - age 4 I exposed him to French and he did formal lessons, Rosetta Stone and then lost interest. He was really good at one point but now since not practicing for a year+ he remembers NOTHING! We are shocked!

So I'm wondering what to enroll him in that will actually be worth it long term. He is interested in sports now so that's what we are focusing on with extracurriculars and gifts for holidays. I figure that is a lifelong thing and will help socially long term. I wonder if he will just want to quit music at some point and we will have wasted $$? Also the time commitment worries me and practicing might become a major chore/battle. He is very self motivated with what HE wants to do WHEN he wants to do it. You know?

Ugh, the joys and stresses of parenting! smile

Last edited by surfbaby; 05/23/11 06:15 AM.