Originally Posted by Deonne
I would just ask the school whether you could have that person work with your DS at the appropriate time during the day.

That sounds like a good idea, Deonne, though in our case I don't think it will work. The main problem is that it's a bit of a hike for the mentor to get to the school. But there's also a problem because the language of instruction at the school is not English, and the mentor teaches in English. So for both of those reasons we're mostly running this as a one-hour per week, after-school, extracurricular event. But without trying to cover the entire elementary school curriculum in that period, they are going very quickly over the central topics, with the goal of doing Algebra I as soon as possible. (The mentor is a physicist, and would like to get to some simple physics applications right away.)

We are very happy with what DS is learning through the mentor, and it is a bit like an apprenticeship relation, as Cawdor suggests it should be. But the question is what he should be doing at school. DS is social enough, that he may well enjoy just staying in his regular math class with his friends. As long as he doesn't become disruptive, and doesn't die of boredom, I suppose that's ok. But I would like at least for the school to have some sense for what he is doing.

I think.