Hi All,

We've just started a lego wall of challenge. DD7 runs from challenge. The moment she finds something remotely challenging she starts to meltdown... quickly. For the past 2 years I've been trying to explain why tackling difficult things is good but I haven't made any headway until.... THE LEGO WALL OF CHALLENGE. The other day she was starting her downward spiral and I said, 'It's like you hit a wall. I wish that you could see what's on the other side. It's actually really amazing over there!" For some reason she actually stopped and started to think about it. I suggested that we build a lego wall. Every time she perseveres, despite frustration she gets to take a brick off the wall. It is amazing how well this is working. As soon as she starts showing signs of frustration I say, "I think we've found a challenge for the wall!!" She then plows right through whatever was upsetting her and happily takes off a brick. Today (we homeschool) everything was going really well. She looked at me and said, but I want to take a brick off the wall:)

I just wanted to share this, maybe other kids will respond to this approach as well.

A.