Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 195 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sreedevi9, agen, Postini, Phaedenit, babyrazia
    10900 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
    Topic Options
    #247871 - 12/30/20 11:06 AM Re: Looking for advice on how to proceed... [Re: sj4iy]
    aeh Offline

To be clear, I had no sense that you had plans to medicate...I was more concerned that, in my experience with school systems, the knee jerk response of the school to this diagnosis is to hint either subtly or openly at medication, which sometimes is accompanied by resistance to seek any other solutions...but it appears that you are already rather near that point regardless.

I hope you are able to connect with an appropriate advocate, and to get a referral for an evaluation expeditiously.

And thinking back over your earlier post, it occurs to me that some of the school personnel might benefit from some additional inservicing on ASD, if they are that quick to label rigidity (a known characteristic of ASD) as defiance. And they have a history of responding weakly to behavior.

I would discuss with your advocate the value of adding a functional behavioral assessment (FBA) to a request for independent educational evaluation (preferably conducted by a BCBA or psych), given the testing behaviors, and the evaluator's interpretation of classroom-observed behaviors (writing problems, and being dropped down a level in math for his behaviors) in that light.

I think this is a pretty open and shut IEE request, actually. The referral question included writing difficulties. They didn't successfully assess his writing skills. He has a history of behavioral problems, and the evaluator ascribed additional academic problems to his behavior, but they didn't formally assess his classroom behavior. Based on the information you've provided, it seems clear that it is a defective evaluation, and the district should pay for (or contribute to, depending on your state) the independent eval as an appropriate remedy.

#247872 - 12/31/20 03:07 AM Re: Looking for advice on how to proceed... [Re: sj4iy]
    sj4iy Offline

I understand what you mean about some parents feeling pressured into putting their child on medication by the school...but it's not something we would consider.

I really appreciate the advice and the specificity of your answer, because it will help us when we are talking to the advocate about what is happening and what we are hoping for. At this point in time, school feels more like a daycare and we end up doing all of his missing assignments after he gets home. It's not a sustainable solution.

I will look into getting an FBA and IEE and I'll ask about the procedure for reimbursement when I talk to an advocate. I'll update once I have. I'm thankful for all the advice I've beeng given.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Ivy League Admissions.
    by cricket3
    30 minutes 0 seconds ago
    College Board discontinues SAT subject exams
    by Wren
    01/21/21 09:17 AM
    Open college classes to everyone
    by cricket3
    01/21/21 06:58 AM