Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Does anyone know if there are studies about ways ASD may show through in achievement testing, specifically in this case with particular "feel" of writing in the WIAT essay? I would be interested in any sorts of patterns or features of results associated with ASD in both WISC and WIAT tests (or other tests which are not specifically being used to assess ASD) that may be of note to an assessor. And of course particularly in relation to the gifted child.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 11/06/19 06:28 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Caveat: these are my anecdotal clinical observations over years of experience, not necessarily based on a deep, sturdy, objectively sampled and analyzed data set.

That being said, I find that learners on the autistic spectrum often do struggle with the open-ended nature of the essay, especially with certain aspects (not necessarily every aspect in every individual), including idea generation, organization, elaboration, and the personal narrative qualities of the prompt. GT students (and 2e GT/ASD even more so) sometimes get hung up on the absolute factual accuracy of the essay.

I did find this research reference (it's a meta-analysis, so you can poke through the citations, too):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29164435

Last edited by aeh; 11/06/19 07:58 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks AEH, so in this case the child scored 4th percentile for handwritten essay and 99th percentile for a second typed essay. Clearly many things went well with the essay. The suggestion that something about the essay implied ASD is fuzzy, clearly far fuzzier than what can be captured by the standardized scoring system of an academic test. Is perhaps related to drawing the reader in (or not), ie forging social connections... Perhaps that is captured by "personal narrative qualities of the prompt".

This is an observation I have not ever heard before with relation to this sort of testing so I am quite intrigued.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM