Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cincinnati25 Lost in CT - 02/01/19 09:40 PM
Hi All,

We are having a very difficult time finding a school which can fit our independent, sensitive and profoundly gifted seven year old daughter. She seems to want friends but is very slow to warm up in a group and connect with other children. She has a five year old sister who is neurotypical and extremely social and they are best friends. Are there any options in Fairfield County or surrounding area, within a reasonable drive?

Thank you to all in advance.
Posted By: llg12j Re: Lost in CT - 02/06/19 05:48 AM
Have you looked into FlexSchool in New Haven? I have no personal experience with it other than knowing it caters to gifted and 2e. Pierrepont in Westport may be another option. I looked into it years ago and they claimed to specialize in gifted education at that time.
Posted By: Pemberley Re: Lost in CT - 02/06/19 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by llg12j
Have you looked into FlexSchool in New Haven? I have no personal experience with it other than knowing it caters to gifted and 2e.

Unfortunately I DO have experience with FlexSchool. Not very good experience with it. (That is an understatement...) Feel free to pm for more info.

Cold Spring in New Haven is wonderful. It runs pre-k to 6th.

When we visited Easton Country Day (in Easton) we saw a 5th grader in the AP Biology class. They say they are 30% gifted, 30% sped and 40% NT, with significant cross over between sped and gifted. A true gem not many in the gifted/2e community seem to know about. I'm not sure if they start at K or Pre-k but they run through high school. Definitely worth checking out.

Fusion Academy in Greenwich and Fairfield is great for gifted kids but doesn't start until 6th grade.
Posted By: trimom Re: Lost in CT - 02/22/19 01:40 PM
Pierrepont School in Westport. Designed specifically for PG kids.
Posted By: Pemberley Re: Lost in CT - 07/26/19 12:44 PM
FYI A new 2e school is opening in Fairfield. They plan to run k-12 but are starting this year with a 2-8 focus.

I don't know too much but numerous people contacted me about it earlier this week. They seem to be starting off with a ton of therapeutic resources i.e. OT, PT, Speech, Reading, etc. People I respect *very* highly tell me the therapists they have brought in are top notch. Started by an attorney who is mom to 2 2e kids.

Price tag seems quite high but on their website they invite districts to contact them about placement. I don't know if they plan to become an approved special ed school which would make district placement much easier.

Cajalacademy.org
Posted By: Pemberley Re: Lost in CT - 12/11/19 03:09 PM
FYI For those who may have been following this thread.

FlexSchool has announced that they are closing their New Haven campus in January. (Yes, mid school year.)
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum