Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: CFK University affiliated online high schools - 09/02/08 01:30 PM

Any experience, positive or negative would be helpful! Feel free to PM if desired.

BTW, if interested, University of Missouri offers elementary and middle school classes beginning in the third grade. (I tried a link but it didn't work - google University of Missouri online high school, there's a link with course offerings beginning in the 3rd grade)

I'm interested in what you find, CFK. If y'all don't mind keeping whatever answers you can on the public forum, I'd be grateful. Obviously we're not there yet, but I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for info that might help us in the future. When DH and I have discussed what we might do for DS7 for high school, this hasn't been something we considered--or even knew about! So I'd love to hear more about it.

Thanks! smile
Posted By: cym Re: University affiliated online high schools - 09/03/08 02:24 AM
Hi CFK,

I have a couple questions/issues to bring up. Yes, I agree, Univ of Missouri looks great, is inexpensive and has gifted level courses. Stanford costs a bunch more (if you opt for the high school rather than EPGY courses) but offers a community, clubs and a full program. I don't know the others, but there's also K-12 International Academy & 26 states have Virtual Charter Schools (free!), Aventa, APEX Learning, and probably lots of others. According to Forbes, within a decade, more students will be online students than those in classrooms. We have had good experiences with online classes in my family, though I think math is tough without someone "mathy" at home.

Do you plan to have your DS re-matriculate to school when he's older or have him complete his High School ed online/homeschool? This is key for us. In my district, if I want my kids to get a HS diploma, their policy is that they'll accept credits from up to 2 online courses, and really the only entity guaranteeing credit is from another state-certified high school. Maybe this policy will change, but that's how it's written currently. So you might want to check your district's policies if you plan to re-matriculate. Secondly, the other benefit we see from high school is sports, science club, french club. Our district won't let homeschoolers participate in extracurricular activities at the high school. Maybe this is not an issue for your DS, but I think my DS goes to school for French, soccer, and golf (sad to say)...and he's not even a big athlete!

I still consider the Homeschool option for my younger 2 DS's, so I'm not trying to discourage.

Cym
Oh, Cym, your post reminded me...I have heard that some people have trouble with some of the online programs if they're inflexible about time. For certain programs, you must login at a set time every school day, which rather defeats one of the main attractions for homeschooling: the flexibiility. I know zilch about which programs are like this, but I have heard that some are. If you want the option for field trips, you might want to check on this so you don't get stuck with one that locks you in front of the computer for many hours per week, whether you need them or not.

I realize this is pretty vague...sorry!
Posted By: cym Re: University affiliated online high schools - 09/03/08 10:42 AM
Hi CFK, I think your reasoning for being associated with a diploma program and one through a university for dual enrollment is a good one. It sounds like a good fit for your son. I'd be interested in hearing the answer to your question about how colleges are accepting cyber learning.

Hi Kriston, we've taken both kinds of online courses. Self-paced math and specific time/virtual classroom for writing and another math. We've missed the classes because of a holiday or something, but can read the transcript so we don't lose out entirely. I have to say the interactive class was valuable--each of them only met once a week, so we didn't have such a hard time.

Sorry to be unclear. The kind of online course about which I've heard this criticism of is not the sort of course you're describing, Cym. I think you're right that if the reason you have to be at the computer at a set time is so you can talk to people, well, that's makes good sense! And that interaction would be extremely valuable. No question!

The kind of course I've heard criticized wants you at the computer at a certain time strictly to "clock in." There is no interaction with other people. You're just required to be on the computer when they tell you to be. It's more like a way to ensure that you're putting in your time than anything else. And as I understand it, it's a M-F deal, not once a week. So it is much more of a restriction, and for no immediately obvious good reason.
Posted By: Wren Re: University affiliated online high schools - 09/05/08 12:31 AM
How do you do the lab work?
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum