Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: kickball Family input - joy - 06/10/08 03:02 AM
We did opt to skip K with our 1st dd. Looking back - can't believe we stressed out over it. Now, we are debating early entrance for 2nd dd (whose scores even higher but has a - um - more passionate personality). Somehow.. it leaks to my inlaws... my dh was cornered and assumed I'd spoken about it. I just don't know that I take 100 cooks in this kitchen. I feel like we got a 1,000 opinions last time (who me exagerate).

Somehow it was deemed "ok" by the masses for the firstborn... I just don't think others see past our 2nd's imaginary world stuff to see how out there she is... But I guess the biggest thing is - if I'm not even comfortable yet talking about early entrance for her then maybe in my heart I'm not buying into it. The testing psychologist advised it... she is probably a level skating barely into a level 4 log. But she is so young.

I digress. How much of our schooling decisions are what is best for the child vs how much we are willing to break away from our own past?
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Family input - joy - 06/10/08 03:58 AM
It is hard to know what is/will be best and it is hard to be objective. But if you are trying, that's all anyone can ask. Maybe your DH should mention that the psychologist recommended it. Maybe an expert opinion would hold some weight with your doubting family members.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Family input - joy - 06/10/08 02:13 PM
digress. How much of our schooling decisions are what is best for the child vs how much we are willing to break away from our own past?

Exactly, I would be foolish not to realize that this plays into my decisions. For good or bad.

Good point.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum