Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: DeHe Reading/writing music - 03/27/12 07:30 PM
Hi
DS 6 is learning to read music at school, but they are at a very basic level. He really wants to write his own music (his stories apparently need theme music smile does anyone know of a website or preferably an app which would allow a kid to mess around with notes to make music. This isn't my thing, I am so far from musical its not funny, but my searching seems to pull up learning to read or making music without using notes.

Not sure if this makes sense, but I would love some suggestions.

DeHe
Posted By: DeHe Re: Reading/writing music - 03/28/12 08:48 PM
Thanks cricket!
We have GarageBand but have never used it, so I guess we hold start there. The website looks pretty cool too. He seems really interested in this but not in a I want to take lessons kind of way and he won't get an instrument in school for a few years.

DeHe
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Reading/writing music - 03/28/12 09:26 PM
FWIW, you can print blank music paper here: http://people.virginia.edu/~pdr4h/musicpaper/

Maybe in combination with noteflight (for learning) the paper option would give you the right level of flexibility?

Since last summer we have a piano teacher who also teaches music theory; DS composes happily and just writes his work on paper.

DeeDee
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum