Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: squirt Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/05/08 06:05 PM
Would you pay $60+ for this book? I've currently got a borrowed copy but am bidding for it on ebay. The current bid is $54 and it ends in 8 hours. The only other prices I have see for it are $125 and $135. I've enjoyed the book and it is on indefinite loan. I'm thinking maybe the Parenting version (Topsy-Turvey Kids, I think) might be a better choice, and for less money.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: snowgirl Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/05/08 08:12 PM
For me, it would definitely have been worth $60. I wish I could buy more - I know DS5's teacher might appreciate it. I paid the regular price ($25) when DD7's testing was done.

In my opinion, Topsy-Turvy Kids is no substitute (I have that too).

Whether it's worth that much to you depends on how much you believe your child is a VSL. I found the whole book fascinating, since a lot of it applies not just to my dd but to my other kids, to two of my brothers and to myself as well. It may also depend on what you are looking for - if you are merely looking for a few solutions, stick with the articles on the VSL website, but if you want an in-depth understanding, go for the book.

that's my two cents
smile
Posted By: squirt Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/06/08 03:52 PM
Just FYI, it went for $74. I haven't decided how VSL he his, but my husband is defintely VSL, which I realized while reading the book. Thanks for the opinions.
Posted By: Lorel Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/06/08 07:06 PM
I wonder if you could contact Linda Silverman at the GDC and ask if she can sell you a copy. Chances are, she has a supply and will sell at far less that 75$. I just got my copy back from a friend,
and I am interested in rereading to see how it applies to my girls.
I do think it is very valuable information for a strong V/S person.
Posted By: snowgirl Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/07/08 03:26 PM
The GDC price is regular retail, $25. But last I checked, they are saving them for their testing families. We got one when dd was tested, and then to make a long story short I needed another one for a close relative, and I had to beg and plead to get them to sell it to me - it was not easy. It can't hurt to try, so make the call, but I don't think the GDC is selling to just anyone - I assume they're trying to make their supply last as long as possible because it's out of print. I wonder what it would take for the publisher to print more. Once, on googling the title, I found some sort of book distributor who had it on their list for a bookstore to order from (at regular retail price), but it was impossible to know whether they really had it or not.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/07/08 03:34 PM
OK I don't know if this should be a separate topic or not, if so I'll split it off. How do you know if DC is VSL? I've taken some online quizzes. If the cutoff is 14pts, my DS would score 12 lol. My friend's DD scored PRI>>>VCI. PRI=149 vs 126 for VCI on the WISCIV. WOuld that indicate a VSL child? But from her reading she wouldn't say her DD is VSL.

Dazey
Posted By: snowgirl Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/07/08 04:32 PM
Dazey - it's all a matter of degree - no one learns "only" with either their right or left brains, but there are people who heavily favor one over the other. Some people are an even balance. Some people might lean in one direction just a little, or a lot.

As for the on-line quizzes, I like better the table that distinguishes between the two forms: http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/appendc.pdf

I can't say about your DS. As for your friend's dd, I wonder if it depends on what her subtest scores were for the PRI - I think certain subtests might be more indicative of VSL than others (block design, for example).

With my dd, based on the wisc iv, the testers were able to say with complete certainty that she is a VSL. So far I believe they were entirely correct, even though there are some things dd can do that are on the auditory-sequential part of the chart (e.g. spelling). I'd say that personally, I'm moderately VSL but without as dramatic left-brain weaknesses that my dd seems to have.
smile
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/07/08 04:37 PM
Her Block Design was 19, Picture concepts 16, and Matrix Reasoning 19.

I'll check out that website. Thanks!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/07/08 04:46 PM
Snowgirl - I didn't see a quiz at the link you posted. Can you post a direct link?

Thanks!
Posted By: snowgirl Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/07/08 05:05 PM
egads lol sorry about that! http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/appendc.pdf It's not a quiz per se but a comparison chart.

I'm still getting used to my new laptop...
smile
Posted By: Ann Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:12 PM
Woo Hoo! Congratulations Snowgirl. grin

P.s. ...totally get the preggo brain.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:22 PM
Ditto that!

You should have seen me preggers. I actually ran out of gas (because I forgot to fill it up) with no cash on hand because I'd left my purse at the office.

An incorrect link looks quite tame to me! smile

And best wishes for a painless and fast but perfectly healthy delivery! laugh
Posted By: Ann Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:24 PM
OMG - Kriston - that's TOO funny!!!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:26 PM
OH OH OH I totally missed the preggo brain! OMG a new baby!! WOOHOO!! My baby is now 16months old...sniff sniff sniff
Posted By: incogneato Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:27 PM
Ann it's good to see you are in a place of calm....well deserved.

Congrats snowgirl!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:27 PM
Still a baby, Dazey!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:32 PM
Oh, I was SUCH an airhead when I was pregnant! Just an idiot! Really!

Did I mention I almost ran out of gas with no money a second time, after the first? And there was a big backup on the interstate, so I had to take backroads to get home so that I didn't get stuck there without gas? I made it home on fumes! I had to use some of the gas for the lawnmower and borrow my husband's credit card so that I could make it to the gas station, or I wouldn't have made it to work the next day.

And this was after I ran out the first time!

Seriously, I was a disaster! Since then, I have always kept an emergency $20 bill in my car. On the bright side, since I'm not preggers anymore, I've never needed to use the $20 again. It was a temporary condition. Thank goodness!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:44 PM
My middle baby turned 5yrs old TODAY! Triple sniff sniff sniff.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:46 PM
Oh dazey! They do grow up too fast, don't they!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 02:48 PM
Awww! Happy birthday, Dazey's baby! smile
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 03:03 PM
hehehe, my baby turned 27 on Sunday. I don't remember having brain lapses during pregnancy, but I don't remember much now-a-days!
Posted By: acs Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 06:30 PM
I saw an article once in an obstetrics journal about the average IQ drop for women in their 3rd trimester. It was significant (10-20 points,, I think). The point of the article was that even bright women will require different educational materials when they are "impaired."

My baby is 12years old and I'm loving it. I have never once looked back or been nostalgic about those first 5 years, but I have never been a baby person.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 07:52 PM
I'm 100% with you, acs. I wanted my kids to be born at 18 months, walking and speaking in complete sentences!

It helps that I have very cuddly kids, so I don't miss out on snuggles. If they stopped doing that, I might feel a bit more nostalgic.

(But I doubt it! I like to sleep!)
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 08:09 PM
I keep reading references to lower achievement in VSL kids. ONe was at a teacher chat board - that using achievement tests to select kids for gifted programs will miss VSL kids. Can anyone speak to this lower achievement in VSL kids? If true, is it b/c classrooms are not geared toward strongly VSL kids?

Dazey
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 08:21 PM
I'm no expert, but yes, Dazey, I think that has a lot to do with it. They learn differently, and regular classrooms often don't meet those needs.

I think even the achievement tests themselves often aren't written to make good sense to a VSL kid. That means that VSL kids might not perform as well as they could if they were given a test that met the VSL person where s/he is, intellectually speaking. Just like I wouldn't do very well on a test given in Portugese, VSL kids don't show what they can do as well if given tests that were designed for non-VSL kids.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 08:22 PM
I think some of that depends upon how VSL a person is, no, Dottie?
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 08:33 PM
Ok I can see how a standard achievement test would favor the verbal kids and that VSL kids might be at a disadvantage. For the same reason highly verbal kids can do more poorly on non-verbal tests such as CoGAT and Naglieri, I've read.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 09:02 PM
Don't you love those crossposts, Dottie?! wink

Your post reminds me of a piece of wisdom that I think you gave me months ago, back when I was trying to figure out whether DS6 was VSL or not. This wise woman (whom I will assume was you--it was either you or Grinity, I know) said that a child who shows many of the signs of being VSL, but who does lots of things well may just be REALLY smart!

I remember it well because it was actually one of the posts that helped lead me out of my GT denial.

So if a child is good at puzzles and mazes and all things VSL, but he's also an early reader who has a vocabulary bigger than some college students, he might not be VSL so much as he is HG+ and able to learn easily just about any which way.

Food for thought...
Posted By: delbows Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 09:11 PM
Hey,
I�ve been following along here and have picked up my copy of the book to determine if I could part with it for $75. I decided no.

A chapter that I reviewed emphasized that VSL do better on more complex tests than the easier ones. I think this is true in my daughter�s case. She did much better on the Explore test she took this March than she did on the ITBS last fall. The part that really stood out on the ITBS was her low score for ending punctuation and capitalization. She doesn�t have a problem with these areas IRL, but for some reason got most wrong on the easy ITBS. However, she landed at the 98th percentile for English on the Explore test.

Their school used to give the Terra-Nova which I believe has more above level questions than the ITBS.

Originally Posted by Kriston
So if a child is good at puzzles and mazes and all things VSL, but he's also an early reader who has a vocabulary bigger than some college students, he might not be VSL so much as he is HG+ and able to learn easily just about any which way.

That child might be both VSL and HG+. My daughter was also an early reader and had very high Verbal scores early on.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/08/08 09:12 PM
True. Good catch. I didn't mean to exclude that possibility. smile
Posted By: snowgirl Re: Upside-Down Brilliance - 05/09/08 04:55 PM
All right, let me see if I can get this out right without actually referring to the book (that would be much too sensible). (and yes, preggo brain is still in full force. I can't finish the harder sudoku puzzles anymore - pathetic! and frustrating.) I think Silverman says something to the effect that kids with high IQ scores are likely to have VSL strengths, with or without the left-brain weaknesses - simply by the nature of the tests.

Ok, let's see what I can find in the book... Here's one section, not the one I was looking for: "Visual-spatial ability is another way of being smart; it is just less often recognized than the left-hemispheric, sequential skills that lead to academic success. individuals who demonstrate exceptional visual-spatial strengths, imaginistic thinking, complexity of thought, humor, empathy, musical talent, artistic expression, or creative imagination, are indeed gifted. They may not always score in the highest ranges on IQ tests, because these measures are geared more for sequential learners. Most IQ tests emphasize verbal abilities, with few items taht assess visual-spatial abilities. And these items are usually timed, so the examinee has to be fast as well as adept. The strengths of the visual-spatial learner are harder to asses (How do you measure if someone has superior visual imagery??), but these individuals are still gifted. As the very least, they should be assessed on untimed nonverbal tests in addition to verbal tests." Upside Down Brilliance, p. 50.

It sounds to me that there she was talking primarily about VSLs who may have left-brain weaknesses. I was looking for a different passage - let's see...

"Basically, I've come across two distinct groups of gifted VSLs: high spatial, high sequential and high spatial, low sequential. The exceptionally gifted have highly developed visual-spatial and auditory sequential abilities. It is interesting to note that they tend to be ambidextrous as well (indicating strong development of both hemispheres). The children who are brighter than they appear at school often have highly developed visual-spatial abilities, but poor auditory-sequential abilities.
"Exceptionally gifted VSLs can learn by auditory-sequential metnhods, but learning that way often feels boring. They prefer to learn all at once, in great intuitive leaps, where they see the pattern, and everything fits together for them into a coherent whole.
"They lead with the spatial system, and if they can't get the concept that way, they will resort secondarily to more tedious, sequential p;rocesses. Learning in a step-by-step fashion seems painfully slow in comparison to grasping an entire idea all at once - seeing it and understanding it completely in a lightening flash...
"It makes more sense to give these students difficultg enough material so that they, too, have to struggle to learn...'No student should be deprived of the right to struggle.'
"Dee Lovecky's warning about what happens when exceptionally gifted children are 'forced at too young an age into others' molds' needs to be heeded. I have counseled many exceptoinally gifted VSLs who turned off their innate way of knowing in order to fit in better with the mainstream. Some lost all interest in learning, underachieved, and eventually dropped out of school. Some forfeited their strong suit and became rigid auditory-sequential learners, allowing their visual-spatial abilities to atrophy...
"The other type of visual-spatial learner, hihg in spatial abilities and low in sequential abilities, poses an even greater challenge to educators. Reading, writing, spelling and calculating - the basic curriculum of elementary school - may be difficult for them to master. Children who struggle with the '3 R's' are not perceived as very bright and often feel dumb. It helps them to know that VSLs usually get smarter as they get older, and that their time will come." Upside Down Brilliance, pp. 63-65.

That still wasn't the passage I was looking for - oh well... (on the upside, my doc appt yesterday indicates preggo brain may be ending sooner than I thought; if only to be replaced by sleep deprivation brain)
smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum