Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cathy A To EPGY or not to EPGY. That is the ? - 04/26/08 06:36 PM
DS has started badgering me to sign him up for EPGY math again. I stopped the subscription for several months because he wasn't wanting to do it. Last time he was so enthusiastic in the beginning but after a month or so that wore off and it became a chore.
Posted By: cym Re: To EPGY or not to EPGY. That is the ? - 04/26/08 07:32 PM
I can't deny a kid begging to do extra work, but maybe it's an opportunity to "make a deal" with him. If you renew, he'll agree to doing __ minutes every other day minimum (or however you can gauge it...section?); if he does more one day, reward him & less...I dunno (loss of privileges?).
Posted By: Cathy A Re: To EPGY or not to EPGY. That is the ? - 04/26/08 07:48 PM
I guess what I want is for it to be his thing as opposed to mine. If he really wants to do it I am willing to fork over the cash. But I don't want to have to be rewarding/enforcing/policing it. I am wondering if he has the maturity for that yet. He is a year older than last time we did EPGY...
Posted By: calizephyr Re: To EPGY or not to EPGY. That is the ? - 04/26/08 08:14 PM
I wish you could just pay for it and they could do it at their own pace-- I mean stop doing it for a few months and pick it up again.
As it is now it can get pretty expensive.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: To EPGY or not to EPGY. That is the ? - 04/26/08 08:33 PM
Yeah, if I could just buy the program for him to use when he wanted to, that would be great.
Posted By: squirt Re: To EPGY or not to EPGY. That is the ? - 04/27/08 09:44 PM
what are the differences between EPGY and ALEKS? We tried ALEKS and ds loves it. He's been begging me to buy it. EPGY looked much more expensive and I couldn't see a free trial for it.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: To EPGY or not to EPGY. That is the ? - 04/28/08 04:34 PM
I had DS try ALEKS and he was turned off by the businesslike appearance of it. The five year old in him wants the program to look cool (hence his love of Descartes' Cove...)

After looking at both programs, it looks to me like ALEKS takes a more nuts and bolts approach--how to do certain problems--while EPGY starts at a lower level and tries to build logic and number sense.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum