Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Hi!

Any favorite homeschool curriculums for GT kids?

We are looking closely at a few curriculums that will cover anything from K to 3rd grade.

I'd love to hear recommendations of your favorites - overall curriculums or specific subjects/topics.

Thanks so much,
Allison
Hi alee,

We do a little afterschooling and I've been really impressed with the Real Science for Kids series. We've done chemistry and DD8 was really into it. DD5 loved it as well, but was a bit out of reach for her, it's meant for 4th/5th grade.
I also like Aleks for math. It starts at level 3, but depending on your child's math exposure you might start it at 6 or 7.

Neato
Why have you never mentioned Real Science for Kids to me, 'Neato? It sounds really good, and I don't think I've heard of it before.

...Or is my faulty memory acting up?

wink
I don't recall it either, but it's already in my cart at Amazon! That looks like a great series. Neato, do you think it's necessary to get the teachers books? Are the workbooks valuable for learning?
Yes, do tell, Curriculum Hog...er...um...I mean, 'Neato.

<tee-hee-hee!>
OK, this series really caught my eye and I found Neato did mention it back in February. Here is a link to the publisher gravitas publications . They also have books which connect the sciences to art, language, etc.
Okay, sorry, 'Neato. It is my own short attention span that was the problem. laugh
Thanks for having my back OHG.

Kriston, sheesh! You know I'd never hold out on you! smile

I got the teacher book, but that's just me. I'm not a big science person and wanted as much info as possible to answer DD's questions.
Whether or not you get the teacher's book, I highly recommend the workbooks. They have the experiments that go along with the book and DD has loved writing in them.

Neato
Looks overpriced to me.
The publisher's price is set at almost $30, Amazon sells it for $20 - but the book has only 68 pages !!!

I am just examining 6th grade Intensive Practice from Singapore Math - 100 pages for $9.

I know - different subjects - but those science books are really expensive!
I know, 'Neato, but we haven't talked much lately, and I thought maybe you were withholding in order to punish me. Rampant emotionalism and all that!

<snicker>
WHAT!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

I didn't know you were so sensitive. frown

I'll make sure to send you some extra PM's.

You know I luv ya baby!

Neato
Ania,

I balked a little at the price myself, but it was perfect for my girls, 5 and 8. I'll probably order a few more for the summer.
I figure supplementing like this is still cheaper than private school. Plus they really liked it!

Neato
Originally Posted by incogneato
WHAT!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

I didn't know you were so sensitive.

Nah, I'm just joshing! grin Things have been too quiet, so I'm stirring up trouble. You're always fun for trouble! wink

And on a serious note, I am thinking about curriculum recommendations, alee. We mostly just use the library this year for any old book that catches our fancy, and then we use Singapore Math. Cheap, child-led, and easy. Not wildly focused yet, but hey, he's 6! I don't think we need to be wildly focused! smile

My primary thought for you, though, is to ask if you know what style of homeschooling you're going to practice, at least at first. Buying ANYTHING before you consider how you're going to home school is putting the cart before the horse and is going to waste money and time--mostly money!

Check out this website to get some idea about philosophy before you spend the money on anything:

http://www.homeschooldiner.com/guide/intro/galaxy.html

There are others out there, but this gives a nice overview to get you thinking. At least it provides a list of the usual methods that people use. We're eclectic, since it means we can do whatever the heck we feel like doing any old time we want to! smile I'm considering unit studies for next year, though. I won't research it until the summer though, when things slow down, so we'll see...
Thanks Kriston!
Just yesterday, DD8 was complaining about school again! She actually said "I have to sit around for 6 1/2 hours, I'm bored".
After everything they have done at school to accomodate her!
I think she is just bored this week. It's spring break and we haven't done too many interesting things.

Between the two girls, I sometimes feel like I am playing whack-a-mole!!

Neato
Originally Posted by incogneato
Between the two girls, I sometimes feel like I am playing whack-a-mole!!Neato

There's a joke in there somewhere, but darned if I'm going to find it without getting myself in trouble! LOL!

But seriously, sorry for your troubles, 'Neato. It's so hard to deal with some days, isn't it? All work and no play for us moms.
OK! Thanks, everyone! I'm grateful we are starting this early in the game...seems like it will be easier to find our way without any pressure.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum