Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Grinity FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 10:20 AM
I've been wanting to celebrate my brand new 'empty nest' for a few days now, but haven't figured out how besides watch a lot of movies. That was fun, but I just got inspired to do Flylady's 31 babysteps.

Here's the link:
http://flylady.net/pages/begin_babysteps.asp

I thought that some of us might want to do them together and post here how it's going? Feel free to PM me if it's too scary to admit this publicly. I'm almost too scared myself!

This evening, I shine my sink!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: jolene77 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 10:28 AM
I have been wanting to do this site myself!! :-)

We moved 3 months ago and I am having such a hard time getting our new place "organized". Half our stuff is still laying around :-(. I did get the kid rooms put together and the living room (so anyone coming to the door sees a nice room ;-) ) but the rest of the house is still a work in progress!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 10:28 AM
Oh yes -
DS14 got dropped off at boarding school earlier in August, and classes have started and he seems to be making a good transition. He'll be doing 9th grade again, as will many of his classmates, which I hope will buy him more time to mature and figure out how to manage himself, PG, ADD and personality too. Class size varies from 4 to 10 kids/class. Each class is 90 minutes long. DH observed that the teachers are like: 'Half teacher, Half Mentor.' Yummy. His Houseparent says he is participating in everything. So for now, 'it's all good.'

Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by kcab
think I should focus more energy on finding satisfying work for myself...

((hugs))kcab!

If it were either/or then sure, focus on work, but if you are like me, I was wasting about 2 hours a week looking for lost items, or distracting myself with computer/sleep/who knows what because I was so low energy from how guilty I felt about the messiness of my house.

I'm really not planning to spend more than 10 minutes a day on this project - not counting the minijobs that almost do themselves while I'm waiting for the water to boil, the computer to boot up, waiting for DH to 'be right there.' (will probably spend more time posting and reading about it than doing it - LOL)

The funny thing is that even with my feminist consiousness, I still feel dragged down and like I want to hide if the house is a mess, and a bounce in my step if the house looks inviting. So the energy I spend on loving the home gets paid back two fold, at least. Not to mention the extra time I have not that 'hunting for car keys' isn't a daily activity.

And when I do lose things, I know that after the 2nd place I look, if they aren't there, they are 'really gone.' That cuts the hunt short and is a big timesaver. Plus I no longer have the experience that every place I look is such a mess that it takes forever to check there and I feel more and more hopeless and out of control over how stuffed those drawers are.

I don't know if this sounds familiar, Kcab, but seriously, if there is anything that you feel like you really should be putting more energy into, but aren't then there is a pretty good chance that your energy is being drained away somewhere. An out of control physical environment is a pretty common energy drian.

Hugs and More Hugs,
Grinity
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 04:10 PM
I'm in.

I've tried Flylady before (maybe 4 years ago??? DD was still nursing, now she's starting first grade. Ack!).

Things in my house got noticeably better, then I slacked off or distracted... ooh! Shiny!

I should be using the routines that I'm trying to teach too!

Maryann
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Maryann1
I should be using the routines that I'm trying to teach too!

Maryann
Welcome aboard Maryann1! I always get a big grin when I see DS14, who mocks Flylady, doing something that he's seen me do 'forever' thanks to Flylady. Recently DS14 analysed my personality and judged me to be a 'neatness and organization' fanatic. I just took it as a compliment. When I checked with DH, I was reminded of just how bad things used to be, a mear 7 years ago, pre-Flylady.

I heard about Flylady on a YSP list, and of all that amazing and wonderful things we have gotten from the YSP, this might actually be the one that has made the biggest difference. OK, that and CTY. Ok, that and CTY, and the DIGs, and gradeskip, and the deceleration, and....well, you get the idea.

grins
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by jolene77
I have been wanting to do this site myself!! :-)

We moved 3 months ago and I am having such a hard time getting our new place "organized". Half our stuff is still laying around :-(. I did get the kid rooms put together and the living room (so anyone coming to the door sees a nice room ;-) ) but the rest of the house is still a work in progress!

I missed your post before Jolene - Welcome aboard! Progress is what it's all about!
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 04:36 PM
I'm in! I've tried before, but somehow I always get side-tracked. I have trouble with the baby steps, and want to do it all NOW (which Fly Lady advises against, and I never listen to...), so then I end up going back to my old ways of doing nothing (well, not nothing, but certainly not enough). I've heard so many people say how her system works for them. I'd love to have a house that wasn't controlled by CHAOS (for those who don't know, that stands for Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome).

Okay, so tonight I shine the sink!

Thanks for starting this, Grinity!
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 04:46 PM
DD has a bed time routine, morning routine and a matrix for picking lunch foods. They're in page protectors and she crosses everything off with a wet erase marker daily.

Am I allowed to start with Day 4?

Maryann
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 06:01 PM
I'm in! I need all the help I can get.
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 06:15 PM
I'm in also! Day 2 is get dressed INCLUDING shoes!!! Wow, when I am home "to clean" or whatever, I am barefoot for sure and probably in sweats or pjs. I will start with the sink tonight when I get home from work, though. I think this will be great. I definitely suffer from "chaos." Nan
Posted By: inky Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 06:18 PM
I like FlyLady but have found watching shows on hoarding kicks me into action like nothing else. It's my scared straight program.

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-to-My-Nightmare/dp/B003DJ0H6C/ref=pd_vodsm_B003DJ0H6C
http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/index.jsp
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 09:02 PM
DD has a bed time routine, morning routine and a matrix for picking lunch foods. They're in page protectors and she crosses everything off with a wet erase marker daily.

Am I allowed to start with Day 4?

Maryann
Maryann,
You've already had a taste of success. So do as much or as little as your best judgement says. It can't hurt to try. If shining your sink is something you already do - just post about that!

Awesome about DD and her 'control journal.' Go DD!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by sittin pretty
I'm in! I need all the help I can get.
Welcome Aboard Sittin'
Great to have you taking a try at this!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by NanRos
I'm in also! Day 2 is get dressed INCLUDING shoes!!! Wow, when I am home "to clean" or whatever, I am barefoot for sure and probably in sweats or pjs. I will start with the sink tonight when I get home from work, though. I think this will be great. I definitely suffer from "chaos." Nan
Welcome aboard Nan!
If you feel good about yourself in sweats after a long day of work, then sweats or Pjs can be your 'afterwork uniform.' Just make sure you wouldn't cringe if someone dropped over to say "Hi."

But be brave and try the lace up shoes. If you try it for a few weeks and don't like it, you can always go back to your old barefeet, and keep the parts that did work for you. For me this is about being flexible, trying new things, and seeing if the part of my mind that talks to me knows as much as she acts like she knows.

Yippee!!!
Grinity

Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
I'm in!
Yippee and Welcome Aboard!
I have trouble with the baby steps, and want to do it all NOW (which Fly Lady advises against, and I never listen to...), so then I end up going back to my old ways of doing ...not enough.

Seriously - we think our kids are inflexible? What a great way to get in touch with how much we don't like to turn over the wheel! Be strong Mama22Gs! I think it will be easier with all of us together. I used to write emails to the staff at Flylady, and they were always so sweet and encouraging - no matter how much I whined!

Okay, so tonight I shine the sink!

Go Go Go Go Go!
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by inky
I like FlyLady but have found watching shows on hoarding kicks me into action like nothing else. It's my scared straight program.

http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-to-My-Nightmare/dp/B003DJ0H6C/ref=pd_vodsm_B003DJ0H6C
http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/index.jsp

Inky - I feel so sad when I watch those shows. But if it works for you then go for it!
Grinity
Posted By: Wubison Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/23/10 10:03 PM
maybe - still hate shoes in the house.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Wubison
maybe - still hate shoes in the house.
Hi! Welcome!
I changed into 'house sneakers' for a few years.

I just shined my sink and dryed off the waterspots.
Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 12:32 AM
Oooh! I've been using Flylady for years and it was a real lifesaver. But lately I've been having some issues that have taken the wind out of my sails so to speak. It would be great to do the baby steps again with others, instead of sitting here drinking my fourth cup of coffee in 3 hours....
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 12:50 AM
Just did my sink - yay!
Posted By: keet Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 01:41 AM
I will try this. I've started before but haven't stuck to it. I have to do it on my own terms, and here's my big confession:
I ain't wearin' no shoes!
Posted By: jesse Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 01:54 AM
Hee hee. Will be setting up little one with a "different" version and setting up hubby too! (I aint gonna be the only one shining a sink.) Share the work, I say.

laugh
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 03:33 AM
sink is clean, feet are bare . . .
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by jesse
Hee hee. Will be setting up little one with a "different" version and setting up hubby too! (I aint gonna be the only one shining a sink.) Share the work, I say.

laugh
I know the feeling so well of 'I aint gonna be the only one' but I can say from personal experience that Flylady is on to something when she says that just the sight of you showing what's possible will change other people's behavior and attitudes quite a bit. Partially because your own 'mini-martyr' attitude will have changed.

If you already have a working version for your child and husband, of course keep up with it, but in most situations, I would say, 'just try to do the babysteps yourself for 31 days and then evaluate what systems you want to set up for other people.'
Best Wishes,
Grinity

Yippee and a 'Go Me' to everyone who shined their sink last night!
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 11:00 AM
yay to sink shining...and DH promised to keep it clear of dishes!!! (normally he lets them pile up) I'm believing it is true that if I set the example, the others will follow along! (I know from experience the reverse is not true: I have tried ignoring the dishes to see just how high they will pile...thinking DH has GOT to see and do something about them...but he doesn't) Nan
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 11:16 AM
(I know from experience the reverse is not true: I have tried ignoring the dishes to see just how high they will pile...thinking DH has GOT to see and do something about them...but he doesn't) Nan
LOL! BTDT...same results.

Ok - I'm awake, I ran to the kitchen to see what feeling looking at the sink would inspire. It is pretty. Sort of a gentle 'ohh that IS nice' but the earth didn't move.

I've decided that my 'nest' isn't really empty after all - it's just that I'm finally hatching myself here. I think I had to learn how to be a mommy before I would dare to try hatching myself.

Dressed to shoes? I find this one confusing, as a Payroll She.
Originally Posted by Flylady.net
Why do I have to get dressed to my shoes?

Several years ago I worked for a direct sales cosmetics company. One main rule for that company was that you could not make a single phone call in the morning unless you were totally dressed all the way to dress shoes. The reason behind this duty was that you act differently when you have clothes and shoes on. You are more professional. The customer can tell when you don't feel good about the way you look. So, if getting dressed makes that big of an impression on someone that can't even see you, then what is it going to do to those who can see you. Mainly yourself.

Many stay at home moms (SAHM's) are guilty of not seeing the need to get dressed all the way to the shoes. They figure, since only their children will be seeing them, why bother? Well, I am here to tell you, that you will be amazed at the difference in your attitude about yourself, your children, and your home when you feel good about how you look. I don't want to hear, "I don't wear shoes in my house". Well you do now. Buy or clean up a pair just for that reason. - FlyLady

So the first thing I do when I get up is to go outside with the dog, and I did put on slipons for that. Then I got into workout clothes to walk with my BFF for 45 minutes, which includes sneakers, but not makeup (I never, ever wear makeup!) - hair, well, it's kind of the shake and go type.

So my 'general plan' is wake-dog-sun salutations-shower-dress to shoes

or

wake-dog-walk with BFF-sun salutations-shower-dress to shoes

I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Time will tell.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 11:35 AM
Okay, I am a day late but I am in.

Kcab, I am with you on finding meaningful work but I believe that energetically speaking it helps to have things in order at home etc. When my house is a wreck and my energy is low than how can I present an effective enthusiastic self at interviews or even to myself when searching? I also can always find things but if I am not home all is "lost". :-)

Shine on sinks!!!!
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 12:47 PM
Everyone dressed with shoes on? Come on! We can do it!

One problem, I do not have any shoes that lace up except sneakers...hmmmmmmmmmm...I can fulfill the lace up requirement and still be comfy! I actually put on my jeans fresh out of the wash and not the ones I have worn for 3 days that are nice and stretched out. Off to dry my hair.
I recently began walking every night also and DS9 has me doing sit-ups, push-ups and stretches that he does to stay in shape for gymnastics. Hey, I might have a clean house AND get back in shape by Christmas. That would be a great gift.
Now, if I could just get a job.....

Breakaway
Posted By: knute974 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 01:02 PM
I don't really get the lace-up shoe thing either. Encouraging me to put on sneakers is a step forward? Now that all of my kids are in school full day, I have to start thinking about a part time job. I don't think that sneakers will cut it when I am out networking.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 03:02 PM
Can I come and play? smile I have tried to do flylady myself and always get discouraged, especially with all the kids running around all the time with homeschooling.
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 03:49 PM
Mel we'd love to have you.

One of the things that I love about FlyLady is the emphasis on trying, not perfection. After all, if I'm wiping out my sink every day, what I don't catch today I'll get tomorrow.
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 03:51 PM
Sink - done
shoes - on (not lace up though, I think that would get me a look at the office)
Control Journal - Started (here's where I have a hard time with perfectionism. I want typed lists that are immutable, but that's not life.)
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 04:35 PM
Sink shined last night. My version of shoes are on, although I'll have to try better for the doing hair/face thing tomorrow.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 05:44 PM
One problem I have, Grinity, is that I never actually lose things, in spite of the mess. For some reason, I almost always know where everything (including everyone else's stuff) is. It's a gift and a liability, all rolled in one, as everyone else relies on my memory to quickly locate items.

OT, but I think that this is a definite kind of giftedness, and am waiting for the day when IQ test use this as a subscale. As often as I do loose things, I am the 'go to' girl for finding anything.

I do know of a male who has this trait, but I think that in general it's the females who excel here.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Breakaway4
One problem, I do not have any shoes that lace up except sneakers...hmmmmmmmmmm...I can fulfill the lace up requirement and still be comfy! I actually put on my jeans fresh out of the wash and not the ones I have worn for 3 days that are nice and stretched out. Off to dry my hair.
I recently began walking every night also and DS9 has me doing sit-ups, push-ups and stretches that he does to stay in shape for gymnastics. Hey, I might have a clean house AND get back in shape by Christmas. That would be a great gift.
Now, if I could just get a job.....

Breakaway

Hi Breakaway - love those fresh warm jeans! So glad to hear you are doing some 'loving movement.' Sounds like at least one of us has a future in career counseling. ((wink))

I peeked ahead to day 3:
Today you are doing what we have already done.
-Getting up and dressing to lace up shoes
-Keeping your sink shining

Now is the time to start exploring Big Tent. Be sure and read the NEWS. This is where you will find the Daily Flight Plan, the essays and the testimonials.

https://www.bigtent.com/groups/flylady

Here's my hint. If you aren't already on the Flylady mailing list - get a 'dummy' email account that you only use for Flylady. She clutters up that inbox like I've never seen. So be wise and start a seperate email just for her. I love her essays and thoughts and reminders, but only in small amounts. Be safe. Start off with the 'dummy' email account and then if you want, you can always change your email to you main account.

I'm glad tomorrow is a 'catch up day' - I was a little nervous when I saw that shining my sink just once wasn't enough!

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: JJsMom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 07:32 PM
I'm still waiting to be able to shine the sink... I do not do dishes, and DH always shines it.

Hmm... maybe I just need to work on step 2?
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by JJsMom
I'm still waiting to be able to shine the sink... I do not do dishes, and DH always shines it.

Hmm... maybe I just need to work on step 2?

Way to go DH-JJsMom!

Step 2 sounds like a fine idea - there is so much to try, I'm sure you'll find something.

smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: NJMom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 09:57 PM
I'll admit that I could really, REALLY use this, but I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in!

We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets. Elbow grease is not going to get rid of it. If and when I actually get my shiny sink, I'm going to have to hire a plumber as well, because the faucets leak around the bottom, so the hard water buildup is going to keep coming back.

frown
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 10:13 PM
Have you tried vinegar?
Posted By: MegMeg Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by NJMom
I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in! We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets.

If I were doing this, I would make "friendly ammendments" to her rules. Ask yourself, what's the point of the "shine the sink" rule? It's not that there's something sacred about the sink. It's that it's symbolic of getting your act together to make at least one little thing look under control every single day, and hopefully that will radiate out into the rest of your life. So pick something else. For my mom, it's making her bed. For her, having the bed made makes the whole house look a little more under control, and it affects her whole day. Whatever you pick, mentally substitute that whenever FlyLady says "shine your sink."
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by MegMeg
I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in! We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets.

If I were doing this, I would make "friendly ammendments" to her rules. Ask yourself, what's the point of the "shine the sink" rule? It's not that there's something sacred about the sink. It's that it's symbolic of getting your act together to make at least one little thing look under control every single day, and hopefully that will radiate out into the rest of your life. So pick something else. For my mom, it's making her bed. For her, having the bed made makes the whole house look a little more under control, and it affects her whole day. Whatever you pick, mentally substitute that whenever FlyLady says "shine your sink."

Exactly! Also - I think it's great to make progress towards the shiny sink. Sometimes it takes many days of small progress until you get something that looks good, and then all of the sudden - WOW!
This reminds me of when we modify our children's homework, we write down that the child worked for 30 minutes and then we told them to stop. It isn't the result that matters so much as that we made the effot. I'm not reccomending 30 minutes on your sink each day. More like get the sink cleaned and spend an extra 30 seconds on the mineral build up. Over the course of days, you might be more of a force to be reconned with than the hard water (or not.)

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: NJMom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 11:22 PM
You guys are right, of course, though my perfectionism makes me hate the idea of having to compromise already!

Perhaps my "sink" will be the mudroom. It's the last room everyone sees on their way out, and the first one we see on returning home, so I feel like it sets the tone for the rest of the house.

Now I just need to come up with an appropriate routine, and method of keeping it under control.

Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/24/10 11:45 PM
You guys are right, of course, though my perfectionism makes me hate the idea of having to compromise already!

Perhaps my "sink" will be the mudroom. It's the last room everyone sees on their way out, and the first one we see on returning home, so I feel like it sets the tone for the rest of the house.

Now I just need to come up with an appropriate routine, and method of keeping it under control.
I think that the mudroom would make everyone smile. Flylady talks about perfectionism all the time - you aren't alone in this. Lots of all or nothing thinking.

I almost wonder if 'the mudroom' is too large, part of that 'all or nothing' thinking again. Can you pick one surface in the mudroom that falls apart the quickest for a 'quick bit of love' at the end of the day? Is there a bench that collects stuff, or the floor? Remember that Flylady doesn't say: 'Start by cleaning the whole day's dishes, the drainer, the counters next to the sink, the kitchen floor, the microwave, the burners....' See where I'm going with this?

I just want to make sure you don't 'crash and burn.'
Any little thing makes such a difference.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: NJMom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by Grinity
I almost wonder if 'the mudroom' is too large, part of that 'all or nothing' thinking again. Can you pick one surface in the mudroom that falls apart the quickest for a 'quick bit of love' at the end of the day? Is there a bench that collects stuff, or the floor? Remember that Flylady doesn't say: 'Start by cleaning the whole day's dishes, the drainer, the counters next to the sink, the kitchen floor, the microwave, the burners....' See where I'm going with this?

Hmmm. Good point. Perhaps the bench or the floor would be sufficient.

Thanks for the input. I feel better already.

smile
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 11:53 AM
Perhaps the bench or the floor would be sufficient.
That sounds reasonable. The only way to know for sure is to try and find out.

I feel better already.

So glad to hear it. I think problem-solving and perspective-shifting are the greatest happiness tools!

I'm so proud to report that I didn't log in here today until I was 'dressed to shoes!' Yippee!
Today I want you get up and get dressed to lace up shoes when you first get up in the morning. This means fix your hair and face too.

I was having trouble figuring out what 'when you first get up' meant for me, as I like to shower and do my sun salutations barefoot. ((Humor Alert)) I think I realized that for me
'when you first get up'
means
'before I log on to Gifted Issues Discussion Forum, etc.'
but I didn't have the discipline to do that yesterday, and I wasn't even sure about committing to it. Today I did it, and I'm writing it down for tomorrow.

Posted By: NJMom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 12:22 PM
Way to go, Grinity!

Today I will "scour" my mudroom bench!

(And I'm still working on that sink, a little bit at a time. Vinegar is slightly helpful, but not the cure-all I was hoping for.)
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 02:07 PM
I'll admit that I could really, REALLY use this, but I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in!

We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets. Elbow grease is not going to get rid of it. If and when I actually get my shiny sink, I'm going to have to hire a plumber as well, because the faucets leak around the bottom, so the hard water buildup is going to keep coming back.

frown

This is my problem, too! I was going to report that I am a failure and stuck at day 1...glad to hear someone else has a hard water problem. I don't even own SOS pads, and I don't know what instrument to use to get the rock hard build up off from edges. I'm still trying though. The sink part looks great, but the faucet edges are still yuck. I guess I will stick with day 1 til I get it!
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 02:59 PM
Sink Done
Shoes on
Biked DD to school (this is my big daily goal for now)
lists in the bathroom and kitchen - now I need to use them!

I thought about doing laundry... but that didn't start before I left for work..

Now to work.
Posted By: Artana Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 05:09 PM
I want to jump in but am hesitant. I tried it once before and found myself giving up. Maybe having everyone else doing it will be fine? I also found that some steps don't really apply because, for instance, I work. So every morning I get up and have to get dressed and prep. Being possibly Aspie, getting stuck in a middle of the way step means I have to work really hard to ignore that step and go on to the next.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Artana
I want to jump in but am hesitant. I tried it once before and found myself giving up. Maybe having everyone else doing it will be fine? I also found that some steps don't really apply because, for instance, I work. So every morning I get up and have to get dressed and prep. Being possibly Aspie, getting stuck in a middle of the way step means I have to work really hard to ignore that step and go on to the next.

Artana,
I hope that you can find a way to get what you need from this Experiment. I'm wondering if you can say in more detail exactly what's bothering you about each step. I had to send Flylady a lot of emails at first to get ideas about how to apply her ideas to my situation.

The 'Flycrew' is terrific about answering questions and offering official advice. We are all here for you too!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/25/10 07:24 PM
hard water buildup around the faucets.
frown

This is my problem, too! I was going to report that I am a failure and stuck at day 1...glad to hear someone else has a hard water problem. I don't even own SOS pads, and I don't know what instrument to use to get the rock hard build up off from edges. I'm still trying though. The sink part looks great, but the faucet edges are still yuck. I guess I will stick with day 1 til I get it!

Yippee that your sink part looks great! Good for you. If you sneak ahead to day 2, you will get a nice suprise - it isn't that sink shining is an 'all or nothing' proposition. Making a small consistient effort on the sink is a daily thing - you get to add 'dressed to shoes.' The idea is to build routines up so slowly that it's never a 'big deal.'

Send the Flylady an email if the faucet gunk is bumming you out, ok? Then share what they said!

I got a tremendous amount out of following Flylady way back when, and I never, ever actually shined my sink until 2 nights ago. I used to just make sure that the dishes were done, and the little chunks of food were removed. I have nothing against waterdrops personally. But today and yesterday I got out the Windex and the kitchen towel and got rid of all the waterdrops. I'll never know if I like it enough to keep it up until I try it.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 12:02 AM
smile Working on the sink, but I'm dressed to the shoes, and using my timer to get some bits done around the house. Yay!

And yay! for all of us!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by eema
I tried Flylady a few years ago, and learned to pick and choose what worked for me.

I did have some problems with the site. Firstly, she said that if you keep the house clean, your family will be inspired as well to chip in. Not true in the least in my home.

Also, I found that some of the emails had a bit of a religious subtext that was off-putting. My personal opinion only.
Hi Eemma! I love picking and choosing. I'm sorry your family didn't catch on. (Do you ever see tiny signs in your children?)

I do find the religious stuff something I have to 'breath through' but I'm also am so grateful for the education. Ambivalent was one of the first long words I taught DS14.

We had my in-laws over for a casual supper. They arrived right around the time I got home from work. It was nice not to have to worry about the house being a mess - that's a blessing.

Now the kitchen is 'boogied,' the sink is shined, I'm still in my lace-up shoes, and I visited the bigtent site and was part of the poll 'Is your sink shined?' Yes is ahead 51% to 49%. Progress not perfection!

Here's the link in case anyone wants to vote:

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by GeoMamma
:)Yay!
And yay! for all of us!
Agreed!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 10:59 AM
Good Morning!
I'm 'dressed to shoes' and looking at

Day 4

"So far we are;

- Getting Dressed to lace up shoes
- Keeping our sink shining
- Going to Big Tent and reading messages

Your next thing is to write these things down on a sticky note and post them on your bathroom mirror and above your kitchen sink. This is the beginning of your Control Journal. The little notes help us to remember the habits we are trying to establish."

Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 11:01 AM
Here's what my sticky says:
PM: shine sink
AM: Dog-Yoga-Shower-Dress (before internet)
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 01:22 PM
Okay, sink shined, showered and dressed but forget the shoes today....too hot!

Way to keep us going Grinity!
Posted By: NJMom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 03:08 PM
Mudroom bench "scoured."

Been doing the one load of laundry per day (though I haven't gotten today's load in yet).

I'm curious about what modifications people have made to the shoes rule. I agree that being fully dressed does change your attitude, but I have a hard time with the idea of wearing shoes in the house. I suppose we could do what my 5-year-old does at school and have "indoor" shoes and "outdoor" shoes, although I have the feeling that the indoor shoes might not be professional-looking enough to provide that same feeling. What adjustments have any of you made to the shoe rule?

Posted By: inky Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 03:14 PM
What adjustments have any of you made to the shoe rule?
Crocs! I have indoor crocs and outdoor crocs. This keeps outdoor dirt from getting tracked inside and I don't have to lace and unlace each time I go in and out. It also protects my feet while cooking if I drop a knife and saves my back from aching after standing on hard tile.
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 04:08 PM
Mudroom bench "scoured."

Been doing the one load of laundry per day (though I haven't gotten today's load in yet).

Hooray for a shined bench!

I emptied my sink, but did not shine it. frown
Biked DD to school. (and faster than I have before, yay!)
Laundry... I folded some last night, but I couldn't/didn't start any this morning.

I'm thinking about getting/making a magnet that communicates the status of laundry to my family. Multiple trips to the basement because we don't have an empty laundry basket, etc. are wasting time and making us less likely to deal with it on a regular basis.

Anyone already have a system that works?
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 04:18 PM
Mudroom bench "scoured."
Yippee!!!!

I suppose we could do what my 5-year-old does at school and have "indoor" shoes and "outdoor" shoes, although I have the feeling that the indoor shoes might not be professional-looking enough to provide that same feeling. What adjustments have any of you made to the shoe rule?

I think it depends on the person. If you are a 'get back in bed' sort, then the laces help. I like the laces because I'm large and love the support. I literally have more energy and less resentment for 'all the stuff that I have to do around the house' when my body doesn't ache. And I have enough Overexcitable-ness that mild aches other people would ignore feel like a big deal to me. When DS was younger, I liked the idea of 'shoes I can run in if I need to' as a just in case.

I'm wondering what your 'indoor shoes' are? My thought is that if that 'professional feeling' is giving you a lift, then don't skimp - clean off a pair of nice 'outdoor' shoes and promote them to your 'indoor' go to shoes. I take parenting very seriously and maybe we'd all be better off wearing 3-piece suits when we are around our young ones, or out in the world in our 'Mommy Role.'

I've been terrified that this was going to be too hard, so I'm glad we got 2 'easy days' - but now I'm feeling impatient for more. LOL@me!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by inky
It also protects my feet while cooking if I drop a knife and saves my back from aching after standing on hard tile.
Go Inky! I love your wisdom.
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 04:27 PM

frown

White vinegar is your best friend for hard water build up! Squirt it on and let soak while cleaning the counter tops or scrubbing the sink. Wipe & repeat until you get it all off. After that, a weekly squirt & wipe will keep it from building up. If you use the white vinegar to daily shine your sink, then it will keep the faucets sparkling. It's also great for cleaning glass.

Edited to add: white vinegar is great for all kinds of science experiments. Make Entice the kids into experimenting with dissolving calcium buildup on the sink with the vinegar!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 04:31 PM
Biked DD to school. (and faster than I have before, yay!)

Awesome! Great loving movement and so good for the Earth, and your DD to see mommy move.

Laundry... I folded some last night, but I couldn't/didn't start any this morning.

I'm not sure which day we start looking into our Laundry Issues, but here's the link to Flylady's ideas:

Remember we are starting slow and getting our old habits in place before zooming ahead to the land of 'crash and burn.'

Oh my - laundry isn't mentioned until day 20! I think Flylady wants us to have a few more successes under our belts before we are asked to change our laundry habits. But I know that for some of us, laundry is a big, big deal. Let me know what you figure out!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 04:58 PM
Thanks for the advice on vinegar. I read that on some other sites also. This will show what a bad home-keeper I really am: I do not have vinegar. I'm taking my lunch break to get SOS pads and vinegar! I plan to have DS7 use the vinegar as a science experiment; he will LOVE it and it will make it more fun for me!

Progress to report despite the above obstacles: just having the sink shined and announcing it to DS and DH has kept dishes from sitting in the sink...they go straight into the dishwasher. Hooray! It's working already smile Nan
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 05:08 PM
Thanks for the advice on vinegar. I read that on some other sites also. This will show what a bad home-keeper I really am: I do not have vinegar. I'm taking my lunch break to get SOS pads and vinegar! I plan to have DS7 use the vinegar as a science experiment; he will LOVE it and it will make it more fun for me!

Progress to report despite the above obstacles: just having the sink shined and announcing it to DS and DH has kept dishes from sitting in the sink...they go straight into the dishwasher. Hooray! It's working already smile Nan

SOS pads might scratch your fixtures if they are chrome. Try the vinegar alone, and you can use a wooden object(spoon, whatever) to help loosen the calcium without scratching the chrome.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 05:56 PM
I plan to have DS7 use the vinegar as a science experiment; he will LOVE it and it will make it more fun for me!
this shows what a teriffic mom you are.
If you find a link to 'why' this works, I'd love to view it.

I'm so glad to hear this. Yippee! I can be hard to remember to share with DS and DH how much this delights you, so I'm reminding. It's ok to praise them for this behavior EVEN if you feel like they could have been doing this a long time ago, and WHY did they have to wait for you to shine the sink, etc.

Giggles,
Grinity
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 06:04 PM
Thanks OHG, the SOS pads are for the stainless steel part...I will try to be careful with the chrome!

And Grinity thanks for reminding me to praise the boys (because yes they SHOULD have been doing this all along).\\

hee hee smile
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/26/10 06:39 PM
hee hee smile
Thanks for the Thanks - I was really sure that I was being too much of a nag there! But that is how I would have reacted, so I took a chance!

Thanks also OHG - I have some nasty buildup on the shower edgings that I've learned to 'not see.' Perhaps I will give it a try! We got a water softener, so if I can get the old stuff off, I have a chance it will stay off.

Go Me! Go Us!
Posted By: NJMom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 12:54 AM
Glad everyone is off to such a good start!

My sink may still be yucky, but my mudroom bench looks awesome!

We're out of town this weekend, picking DD up at camp (yay!!). Rest assured that the mudroom bench will remain uncluttered in our absence (except perhaps by the cat). Will check in again on Monday.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 03:15 AM
Have fun on your trip, and I'm so proud of you for having an shiny mudroom bench to welcome you home when you bring back DD! Yippee!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 06:27 PM
Wow - Dressed to shoes (DTS)was so much less of a big deal today. I got out of the house for my walk with BFF 5 minutes early instead of my usual 10 minutes late!

I didn't go online until DTS.

I've been listening for 'beat myself up words' in my head as 'Day 5' but haven't heard any.

Anyone playing with writing down the 'bad head tapes?'

Love and more Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 06:30 PM
Day 6 is Hot spot fire drill. yippee! This is one of my favorites.
My hotspots are all horizontal surfaces of my study, and one counter of the kitchen. Plus they can flare up anywhere, really.

G
Posted By: knute974 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 06:55 PM
I have lots of hot spots. Unfortunately, my husband sees ANY bare surface as a place to dump stuff -- the dining room table, the kitchen island, the top of the piano -- you name it. This is definitely a tough one in my house!
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by knute974
I have lots of hot spots. Unfortunately, my husband sees ANY bare surface as a place to dump stuff -- the dining room table, the kitchen island, the top of the piano -- you name it. This is definitely a tough one in my house!

That sound like our house - every place is a hot spot; The top of the mantle, empty chairs, dressers, dd's desk. Baby steps!
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 07:25 PM
Yay for shining the sink.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/27/10 10:17 PM
Tomorrow we spend 2 minute 'Hotspot Fire Drills' - if there is clutter everywhere than you are guarenteed to have more clutter everywhere. It used to be like that at our house, but as I decluttered there was more drawer space to really put things away.

After you get past the first round of 'everywhere' there will be a few 'dependable' hot spots that start to smolder. They you'll buy a potted plant to put ther and a new one will emerge!

I also got better at forcing myself to 'make a decision' about if I did or didn't want this item in my life. If I did want it, where was it's logical place? I hate committment! (humor alert)

I eventually got my husband a pretty wicker basket for 'important papers' and when I get sick of looking at this stuff, I have been known to dump them in his basket. But that was months after I started my fire drills. Turns out that 50% of the junk papers in our house used to be stuff I though was his and he though was mine. LOL!

Remember that your house didn't get like this overnight, and it will take a while to get pretty again - but if I can do it, many many of you can do it too!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/28/10 03:25 PM
So, I have finally got a shiny sink! Both the kitchen and one bathroom sink are shiny. It is very nice and I feel ready to move on. I know this isn't the right order, but all the bathroom fixtures have been needing attention, so I am going to do them all as my current project. Then I will continue with the baby steps in order. I guess I am sort of taking a detour...but now that I have the correct materials for the job, I'm doing it! Somehow, this is fun when it used to be an unthinkably difficult chore. I guess it proves the power of positive thought! Nan
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/28/10 03:50 PM
One thing I dislike is picking up the clutter other family members leave around. If I pick stuff up, it becomes a never ending job.

((Humor Alert))
It's not a never ending job if you throw the %h!] away after you pick it up - LOL! It's kind of fun!

On a more serious note. Resentment is normal, but not inevitable - nowadays I ask myself: "If I have the chance to say "I love you" to a family member by putting something of their away, would I take that chance now? If the feeling is yes, then I do it.

Remember that the task is to put out a hot spot for 2 minutes. 120 seconds. I think I can handle my resentment for that long. Of course you know what direction we are moving in, but honestly, the reward of a beautiful home is worth it IF we are learning to gain that goal through babysteps.

It never has to feel like 'oh poor me' - that's why yesterday's job was to write down the negative thoughts. Believe me - my resentment about doing more work that the other family members and my fears of being sucked into the role of zombie housewife/doormat were costing me more emotionally than the effort required to pick up other people's stuff.

In lots of families there is a discipline plan for stuff left around the house. It does go into a time out box, and perhaps not released until the offending child a) asks for it nicely, or b) 'pays' for it with a little extra chore, c) just has to learn to live without the item for a specified length of time, or d) is allowed to claim one item for every item that is allowed to be moved into the trash/recycle bin.

Flylady doesn't go that way - she will eventually introduce a '15 minute' everyone work together to pick up a room, where the timer is set, and music is player, and everyone celebrates at the end. But that really can't happen regularly until there is some hope of success, and there won't be hope in the family, until the leader (us) takes a risk and gets some success.

I know that I have it much easier that most, as my DH is 'neat-preferring by nature' and my DS14 is at boarding school - but I do have to deal with ME (so maybe I don't have it easier than most - LOL!) But I remember so clearly when DS was 3 and I tried to keep the house neat for a whole week and succeeded - and decided that it wasn't worth me spending every blessed minute putting stuff away. Later I found Flylady, and the house started 'cleaning itself.' Such a huge contrast.

So - do 2 minutes and hope.
Ok?

Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/28/10 03:53 PM
So, I have finally got a shiny sink! Both the kitchen and one bathroom sink are shiny. It is very nice and I feel ready to move on. ...I guess I am sort of taking a detour...but now that I have the correct materials for the job, I'm doing it! Somehow, this is fun when it used to be an unthinkably difficult chore. I guess it proves the power of positive thought! Nan

Don't deny yourself Nan - why shouldn't you have your desire? Who is to say that tackling a big job is less fun than a great work out at the gym? I believe that it's the nature of humans to enjoy solving problems - all kinds of problems. It's only the years of sexism that make household problems seem less 'important' than other kinds of challenges.

Yippee!
Grinity
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/28/10 07:57 PM
Just had to let you know that yesterday was a crazy day and I didn't get the chance to get my sink cleaned and dishwasher loaded before I crashed for the night. I had some (good) "guilt" about not having a clean sink overnight. I was able to catch up this morning (Thank you, Saturday) and have a shiny sink again.

All of this actually makes me feel great- I think I'm making this a habit!! smile

Now, on to the dreaded hot spots.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/28/10 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by sittin pretty
All of this actually makes me feel great- I think I'm making this a habit!! smile

Now, on to the dreaded hot spots.
Yippee!
I was out of the house for my favorite yoga class by 9am, I did do 5 minutes of Internet 'whatever'-ing before I was dressed to shoes, so I was definitely not perfect, but I'm happy that the voices in my head are saying: "You know, 5 minutes is a lot less than you usually do on a Saturday AM, so that's progress!"

Progress NOT perfection.

I know I am only supposed to do 2 minutes of hot spot prevention, but the house is really quiet, I've had my walk with BFF, DH is totally occupied with home maintenance, so I cranked up some catch up episodes of Glee on the TV and brought all of my paperwork onto my pretty smooth bed and have been decluttering my paper stash.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/28/10 10:39 PM
Also feeling good about the number of fun things I've packed in with the kids the last two days. smile
Yippee!
Good and Pretty Good are wonderful.
I think you can bring the burned out CFL to where you bought them or Home Depot. I thought that they weren't supposed to burn out eek Maybe your town dump?

Our kitchen Island is one of the key hotspots at our house too - but by getting to it a couple times a week I stay '15 minutes from company ready' without a lot of effort. My car, OTOH, is like a traveling hot spot. Oh well, progress not perfection.

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: DeHe Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/28/10 11:36 PM
I've been reading this post and even checked out the website, but have been resisting, but it's like the songs you just cant get out of your head!!!! So I'm going to do it, the drawer of death!!! Cue scarry music. DS took over our office when born and we moved everything into our bedroom frown so went from filing cabinet to filing boxes and drawer where theoretically things went prior to being filed. I got motivated about 3 months ago by Suze Orman who alternatively annoys me and provides good advice - but what I ended up with was getting down to 1 drawer and a bag of junk to shred!!! But I am now reinspired to sort and create more stuff to shred. I am a fiend for organization, or at least I was before my DS, DH says I use to file in my spare time, sort of depressing but must be why I don't do it now!!! Although since I have posted multiple times during the day I clearly can't claim to have no spare time!!! laugh

DeHe
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/29/10 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by DeHe
So I'm going to do it, the drawer of death!!! Cue scarry music.
DeHe

No No Not the Drawer of Death!!! ((Humor Alert))
I just hit the bottom of my 'sure don't know what to do with this pile.' - I got rid of lots of it, but ended up with another smaller and cuter 'don't know what to do with' pile. Uggg - I definitely overdid things today. But I did enjoy watching 2 episodes of 'Glee' and one of 'The Good Wife' - which actually may account for that 'ungrounded feeling.'

I guess this accounts for the reason that the last pile is always the hardest to take care of - if it were easy, I would have done it by now.

Actually I was a little bit encouraged that lots of the things in my 'impossible pile' were actually already handled. Now I'm putting things away. Flylady says to never take out more than 30 minutes worth of mess at a time - that's an easy one for me to follow!

DeHe, Have you tired David Allen's "Getting Things Done?" I've been trying that in fits and starts.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

My plan is to try meditating on the way to the restaurant for dinner.
Posted By: bk1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/29/10 12:52 AM
To everyone trying this out:

Good luck with your efforts! At Grinity's advice, I went to the FlyLady site a few years ago and used FlyLady routines for kids to get my hopelessly disorganized older son ready in the morning. It really worked! I've had some success with de-cluttering using her techniques.

Grinity, thanks for inspiring us. You are such a great resource!

bk1
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/29/10 10:43 AM
I feel so out of synch already!

I was DTS, and DH shined my sink, I suppose I did a hotspot (my desk) but it's buried again already. Desk is a tricky one because it's literally in the middle of the house and way to easy to dump things.

I haven't tried writing down my head tapes. Maybe I'll give it a go.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/29/10 04:14 PM
I feel so out of synch already!
Oh GeoMamma - What's making you feel out of synch?
How is the 'writing down the internal voices' going?

If you did 2 minutes of hotspot fire drill, that is a wondeful start - and no, the results might not be apparent immediately. ((pout)) I love immediate results - but, with my house, I was spending so much energy trying not to see what I had done, that it was quite a lot of 'i'll try but this doesn't feel good at all' in the beginning - first I had to feel worse by noticing all that stuff I was working so hard not to notice.

But I do believe that even in the stage where we feel worse that we have more energy because we don't have to work at ignoring. I know that while I was ignoring I didn't think of it as work, but once I stopped, I saw that for me, ignoring is work, and it used to tire me out so I wouldn't have the energy to fix the problem. KWIM?

Anyway, i hope this yucks pass quickly. I'll never forget the day that I looked into a closet and was taken totally by surprise that it wasn't a 'falling on my head' mess. I asked DH and DS if they had cleaned it. I check for broken windows - maybe a kind hearted robber had broken in a cleaned it. A few days later I remember that it was ME. I had taken a spare 15 minutes and boggied that closet. I still smile when I get my coat out of that closet - it's lovely and I deserve to live with lovely spaces. Who Knew?

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/29/10 10:37 PM
So tonight we lay out our clothes for tomorrow.

I knew that I didn't want to face what was already in my closet for that task, so I spent an hour at the mall shopping for 'day wear.'

I was very tired afterwards, but I brought it home, then relaxed. Then I went through my cubbies and got rid of stuff that I know I'm not going to wear, for about 30 minutes. Nice thing about not having a lot of clothing clutter, is that it doesn't take that long to try everything on that I haven't worn in the last week.

I do have a bunch of 'dress up clothing' that is much less decluttered, but that is all segregated from my normal wardrobe options.

I feel confident that laying out my 'tomorrow clothing' won't cause any tears later tonight!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/29/10 11:15 PM
This is going great! I have post it notes above the sink and told "the boys" that they were for ME, not them...yet they have been wiping the sinks clean after using them! Also did a hotspot, and kept going after the 2 minutes (is that legal?!) and got it all cleaned. Going along with the beautiful kitchen sink, the window there is now decluttered and cleaned...looking very close to a magazine photo kitchen nook! (Don't worry...there are still 2 more hotspots in the kitchen plus the fridge surface to de-clutter...the kitchen is FAR from done ha ha). Lucky for me, laying out clothes the night before is something I already do...so I feel like I'm cruising along! Thanks for the pep talks Grinity! Nan
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 03:13 AM
This is going great! I have post it notes above the sink and told "the boys" that they were for ME, not them...yet they have been wiping the sinks clean after using them!

This warms my heart - Go DH of Nan! Go DS of Nan!
Great work on the hotspot - I think going over is legal depending on our mindset. If we overgo to the point where the stinking thinking rising up, or we retreat into bed then that isn't 'legal.' If we have a smile in our hearts while we overgo, and afterwards, that it's a blessing!

I'm pretty sure that starting tomorrow we do '2 minute' hotspot fire drills in the AM and PM.

I'm wearing a light blue shirt and navy pants tomorrow - Yippee!

What are you dear ones wearing tomorrow?
Grinity
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 03:29 AM
Had surprise drop-by company tonight and thanks to my clean sink and my 2 minute decluttering of the kitchen counter, I only had to strategically close one door and hide a few items. smile HUGE improvement!! I can�t wait for my whole house to be this ready for surprises!

Still need to decide what I�m going to wear tomorrow and get it prepped before bed. I�m meeting with the principal so I�ve got extra incentive to look polished and put-together.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 03:33 AM
wow you all have a lot going on. I had to stop at page 6. I'm too tired. I hope I remember to get back to this - interesting. I am a "want to be" for cleaning and organization and being a together Mom. There have been several housekeeping issues I've been working on for years. I must say I have improved but have a way to go. It feels like I will never have it totally together but that's ok. I'm doing better than many, especially if I am expecting someone to come by. I do believe in habits and organization to make life go better.

I would really like to jump to something with paper work clutter. Is that possible?

I really have a hard time with this. I just don't know what to do with everything and don't get around to figuring it out. I have 2 laundry baskets of not too important stuff from times when it just got too much in the kitchen. I have a Mommy central Desk type situation in the kitchen and really wish I had my own desk but this might be the best I can do.

I'm scared about the clothes part. I have so many issues there. but I haven't read the website yet.

I may join in on this after Labor day. I have project right now I need to get done first.

Good luck to everyone with this!
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by onthegomom

I would really like to jump to something with paper work clutter. Is that possible?

All of my so-called hot spots are paper work clutter. That is my priority also. Look at the first post on this thread for the link to baby steps. That is what I am doing. The entire website is a little overwhelming. Even though it starts with shining the sink, it has been helping me with my paper work clutter.

I don't have a desk, but have paperwork in piles around the house, plus in boxes and filing cabinets. I am only doing baby steps, one step at a time. I am making myself NOT think that it is too much and I will never get it done. One spot at a time and I will get it done (thinking positive). If you don't start with the sink, pick one pile and plan to do JUST that. It helps to think you are only going to work on it for a specified period of time, too.

Nan
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 12:07 PM
wow you all have a lot going on. I had to stop at page 6. I'm too tired.

Don't worry OTGmom, just go back to the last day that you could do without running yourself thin. I'm sorry you are so tired. Do you mind starting a separate thread on the 'Discussion' area called, "I'm too tired!"

I just know that this is a huge issue for at least one other of us, and I'd love to see us do some sharing and problem solving about it.

As for paper clutter, i'll look around later if there is any 'Flylady specific' advice on how to deal with it. Personally I think it is a 'less is more' sort of thing. If you could get yourself to set a timer and limit yourself to doing 2 sessions of 2 minutes on one of those laundry baskets every day that you would be left with a 2 inch stack within a month.

Personally I use David Allen's 'making it all work' or 'getting things done' to help me sort, file and take action on paperworky kinds of things - and approach it in a Flylady style.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Posted By: Artana Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 12:41 PM
Grinity,
You asked me to look at the FlyLady site and explain what gave me issues last time I did it. Looking at the first seven days, only two of them are cleaning tasks. The rest of the steps are mentality shift steps, or read boards steps. At the time, this probably threw me off a lot because I was expecting one thing and ended up with another. Does that make sense?
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Artana
At the time, this probably threw me off a lot because I was expecting one thing and ended up with another. Does that make sense?
I think I get that. It sure is different than every other 'get organized' book or article I've ever read!

How is it going this time around? Are you better able to made 'friendly amendments' with the group thing going on?

Hugs,
Grinity
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 07:39 PM
Every horizontal space in my house is a hotspot. It's hard not to get discouraged. I'm trying to focus on just one until its all better and then move onto another so I can see the improvement, but I'm going to have to go to the drastic clean mode because we just heard we're going to have an unexpected guest next week. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/30/10 08:16 PM
Well Mama22Gs - I've been in your shoes.

You have 2 choices (3 really)

1) 'Stash and Dash Stlye' Get everything you don't know what to do with and dump it into banker's boxes and stack them in a closet where you can forget about them forever.

2) 'Flylady Style' Take this as a great oppotunity to become a Master Crisis Cleaner. see http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_CrisisCleaning.asp

Or
3) Do as much of option #2 as possible, and revert back to option #1 for the rest! That's where I started, anyway.

This Saturday I went after all my paper clutter as though I were crisis cleaning (go back and read my posts if you don't believe me. Look at the timestamps. I was taking breaks and they didn't turn into marathons)- I even unearthed a banker's box of papers, etc. from my last Major Stash and Dash experience.

I now have a stack of 'papers I don't know what to do with' that is less than a half inch think on a shelf near my computer.

Wow - that's condensed from 6 seperate piles. It did take all day, but with breaks for my yoga class, mid-day walk with BFF, and ice cream for dinner with DH.

How could I have 6 piles of paper while following Flylady? Well, I did have a clean sink and clean house, but having a study all to myself it was so easy to stash and dash and I never got into a routine of hotspot rescue in there. When I proposed that we do the first 31 days of beginner babysteps, I knew that there would be some things that I was already doing - like making the bed and other things that I didn't really pay attention to the first time around - and I was looking forward to finding those missing pieces.

I think the idea of Flylady is that you never have to spend a whole day cleaning, but if you do find yourself having to move, or with guests on their way, or like me, just wanting to catch up from backsliding - it's still possible to surface clean and be good to yourself at the same time.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 01:36 AM
Tomorrow is Day 8! Go Us!
Here's Flylady:
Day 8
Here you are; you have been FLYing for a whole week. I am so proud of you. Let’s review your new habits. I am going to break them down into what you do each morning and what you do each evening.

Morning Routine

- Get up and get dressed to lace up shoes; fixing your hair and face
- Looking at your posted reminders in the kitchen and bathroom
- Going to Big Tent and reading messages
- Recognizing the negative voices and changing them; YOU ARE FLYing NOW!
- Put out your Hot Spots for 2 minutes

Before Bed Routine

- Keep your sink shining
- Lay out your clothes for tomorrow
- Put out your Hot Spot (I have to do this twice a day) It makes me smile in the morning!

Over the last week we have been establishing our basic routines. As you establish habits, it will become easy to add another habit for you to practice.

Today I want you to find an old three ring binder and just put some paper in it. Then at the top of one page write Morning Routine and on the top of another page write Before Bed Routine all in pencil. This is a working document; do not allow your perfectionism to interfere with the process. Now you can write your simple routines on each page.

Ok, so I found my old control journal - and guess what I found? 2 inches of bills dated 2009! I had a long day, so I just took them out and placed them out where I can see them, and I know just what hotspot to tomorrow. Then I put my AM and PM routine in the notebook. Done and I'm going to bed!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 11:39 AM
I'm realizing that I'm all confused with the days and dates - can anyone shed some light on this for me? What babystep are we on? Heeeeeeelp!

I know it doesn't matter, but if I'm leading the way, then maybe it does?

Love and more Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Lori H. Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 02:33 PM
I didn't have time to read all the responses but this looks like an interesting discussion. My family has been teasing me because I have a "hoarder closet" filled with things I don't want to get rid of. I have been doing a lot of shredding lately--old files of important papers that are not important any more, evidence that I once had a normal life.
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 03:56 PM
Mama22Gs, I think you've got the right idea with the hotspots. You'll get there (and it will probably be less work than you're dreading).

FlyLady, of course, does not recommend "drastic clean up mode." but she recognizes that it happens. Her advice can be found here: http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_CrisisCleaning.asp

Good Luck!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 09:44 PM
OK everyone - I did get through that 'suprise pile' during this AM's hotspot fire drill.

Tommorow we get to the real 'meat' of the program: Decluttering. Why is Decluttering so important? Because you can't organize clutter! This is why all of my previous attempts were doomed to failure and resentment. Truth is - if you want an appealing home, you have to learn to decide 'Yes or No.'

So awful, I know! Especially with those Imaginational OverExcitabilities! But as I Practice, it's very spiritual. It means that I trust the universe to provide if I throw out something I turn out to need later. It means that I trust myself to forgive myself for throwing out the wrong thing. ((Are mistakes allowed? They are inevitable!)) It means that I can distinguish 'This is me' from 'This isn't - at this moment in time - me.' Wow!

Here's the Lady herself on 'how to declutter.'

Originally Posted by Flylady
How to Declutter
Taking 15 minutes each day to declutter an area, using the 27-Fling Boogie, and clearing your hotspots are among some of the most powerful tools you can use to create a more peaceful home. Remember: You cannot organize clutter - you can only organize the things you love!

I've included my tips on how to declutter. Put your home on a diet. If this is difficult for you, try reading one of my favorite books, "Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston.

When to Declutter: Decide how often you are going to declutter a zone. Do a little every day - use a timer. But be warned - this can become compulsive! Once you get started you will want to clean like a banshee! Don't burn yourself out! Only do small amount at a time. The house did not get dirty overnight and it will not get clean overnight. When you set the timer you can only do two sessions at a time. This goal may seem unattainable right now, but you can do it in little pieces. In a couple of months, the whole house will be decluttered.

Decluttering Equipment: You will need garbage bags, boxes, magic markers, and a dust rag. Label the boxes "Give Away", "Throw Away", and "Put Away". Line the "Throw Away" box with a plastic garbage bag.

Set your timer: for 1 hour (or 30, 15, or 10 minutes - it does't matter how long). Just do the job as fast as you can and do not pull out more stuff than you can put away in that length of time. This means just one drawer, one closet (or even one shelf in one closet), one magazine rack, or digging under just the furniture in the zone. Not all of them at once!

Start at the entrance to the room: Then, work your way around the room clockwise. Do not skip a spot. Whatever happens to be next, just do it.

Declutter Away! With boxes at your feet and dust rag in your waistband, start off by cleaning out and getting rid of the things that do not belong in this room. Put garbage in the "Throw Away" box, donations in the "Give Away" box, and stuff that goes somewhere else in the "Put Away" box. Don't worry that you do not have a place for everything right now. By the time you finish you will. That's a promise from FlyLady!

What to declutter? Things to ask yourself as you get rid of your clutter:
Do I love this item?
Have I used it in the past year?
Is it really garbage?
Do I have another one that is better?
Should I really keep two?
Does it have sentimental value that causes me to love it?
Or does it give me guilt and make me sad when I see the item?

Cleanse this room of everything that does not make you SMILE.

Sing this song: "Please release me, let me go" as sung from the stuff's point of view. It needs to be loved by someone and if you don't love it - GET RID OF IT!

Get rid of the garbage! When the "Throw Away" box gets full, pull out the garbage bag, close it, and put it in the trash can, the pickup truck, or wherever you keep your garbage. Put a new garbage bag in the "Throw Away" box and keep on Flying until the timer goes off.

Donations: When the "Give Away" box gets full, seal it off, and put it in your car. The next time you are out, you can donate to the area thrift shop. Do not save your clutter for a yard or garage sale, you will be blessed by giving it away. The value can be deducted on your income tax. Remember you are trying to get rid of clutter - not relocate it somewhere else in your home. Now, grab another box, label it "Give Away", and get back to work.

"Put Away" Stuff: When the "Put Away" box gets full, take the box in your arms and run around the house (good thing you have shoes on - right?) and put the items in the room where they belong. If they have a place, put them there, if not put them in the room where they logically belong. By the time you have finished you will have a place for everything and everything will be in it's place.

Timer Goes Off: When the timer goes off, you have to put away all the boxes, but first you have to empty them all. Go as fast as you can.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 11:15 PM
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get online for a few days.

I also kinda skipped the negative voices thing. There was a lot of things going on and it felt better not to pay to much attention to my brain right now! LOL! That will get better soon.

Anyway, I am doing most of the steps so far. I do need to practice with the hotspots, though. Maybe I need to set alarms? smile

Decluttering
It means that I trust myself to forgive myself for throwing out the wrong thing.

That is a big one for me, and I hadn't even thought about it. Thanks Grinity!

And if you've gotten mixed up with the steps, its fine, laugh Don't let perfectionism get in the way, remember. wink
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 11:26 PM
And if you've gotten mixed up with the steps, its fine, laugh Don't let perfectionism get in the way, remember. wink

Can I still be gifted? ((humor alert))
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 08/31/10 11:51 PM

Decluttering will be much easier with kids in school!!!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/01/10 12:05 AM
Decluttering will be much easier with kids in school!!!

Happy Dance for all the Kids who are returning to school with some hope of getting something for the time they are investing! Yippee! Go DS14!!

It is easier.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/01/10 06:07 AM

Can I still be gifted? ((humor alert))

LOL! grin
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/01/10 10:25 AM
So I woke up wondering, "What is the actual task of Day 8?"
I looked it up.

Declutter a few minutes at a time.

Vague, but delicious.

Who is going to declutter what? This could be as small as your pocketbook or one pen/pencil mug.

love and more love,
Grinity
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/01/10 03:25 PM
Unfortunately my declutter area only became cluttered this morning after a visit from the "Backpack Fairy". But I will tackle it cheerfully and with music that no one is here to dislike!

Breakaway

Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/01/10 05:38 PM
cheerfully and with music
Way to rock Breaker!
What is the Backpack Fairy? IS she a good witch or a bad witch?
Grins
Posted By: knute974 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/01/10 05:53 PM
I'm working on the laundry room. I started yesterday with clearing the floor and one of the shelving units. I got rid of four boxes and a large trash bag full of stuff. Today I'm tackling the wrapping paper and holiday swag shelf. I'm on a declutter roll!
BTW, I think that the backpack fairy is evil too. She always seems to cause things to drop out of my kids packs and kick them under the piano.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/01/10 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by knute974
I got rid of four boxes and a large trash bag full of stuff. Today I'm tackling the wrapping paper and holiday swag shelf. I'm on a declutter roll!

You Go Knute! Awesome! Well done!

At our house the backpack fairy was always casting the veil of invisibility over the completed homework when DS got to school during his Elementary Years. Ug!

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/02/10 12:32 AM
What is the Backpack Fairy? IS she a good witch or a bad witch?
Grins

The backpack fairy fills your backpack with school supplies and some fun stuff like soccer ball shaped erasers or heart shaped paper clips.

I started it to get their mind off of first day jitters. :-)

Breakaway
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/02/10 09:52 AM
The backpack fairy fills your backpack with school supplies and some fun stuff like soccer ball shaped erasers or heart shaped paper clips.

I started it to get their mind off of first day jitters. :-)

Breakaway

That is so cute, I love it!

We had a bit of a shock here, so most of my day is gone, but I'm going to declutter my desk, again smile
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/02/10 06:10 PM
I'm going to declutter my desk, again smile [/quote
Go GeoMamma! I'll bet you are looking for an out of the way place to have a 'real desk' and a potted plant to but on your 'middle of everything' desk about now, eh?

Today is day 10: You can do anything for 15 minutes? Isn't it the truth?
[quote]We have already been using our timers for 2 minutes and now 5 minutes. Today we are going to learn the power of just 15 minutes. You can do anything for 15 minutes. This is all about getting started and giving ourselves permission to stop when the timer goes off. You cannot restart the timer either. This is not a race to finish in 15 minutes either! The timer helps to keep us focused on what we are doing.

Now set your timer for 15 minutes and go gather up all the trash you can find to throw away and put it in the garbage can outside. Then set your timer for another 15 minutes and sit down and put your feet up and read a favorite magazine till the timer goes off.

Have 15 minutes of fun, ok?
Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: intparent Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/03/10 03:04 AM
I've been out of town and missed the start of this thread... but I have been fluttering (more successfully some times than others, my house is pretty large and it is hard to keep up even with Flylady's help) for about 9 months. I think it helps a lot! A few things that have worked for me:

- You can get the emails grouped so they all come as one e-mail for the day. So you don't need a separate e-mail box smile I am not quite sure how, but mine is set up that way.

- I love some of the tools she sells on her web site. I swear by the Rubba Scrubba (it has a zillion uses, seriously!), those pink dusting mitts, and the purple rags. It is MUCH easier to clean with the right tools!

- I used the 15 minutes at a time approach to clean my horrible home office. It really worked.

- Don't think you have gotten there yet, but one of her things is "swish and swipe" - clean the toilet bowl every morning. I have modified that to "do one bathroom cleaning item every morning", and the bathrooms I use stay reasonably clean. So I might take out the trash one day, sweep another, wipe the mirrors on another, etc.

- If anyone has any tips on getting teenagers to do the Riley Challenges, let me know! Mine roll their eyes...
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/03/10 03:46 PM
Hey Intparent!
Great to hear that you've been a happy flutterbaby over the last 9 months.

No tips on getting teenagers to do the Riley Challenges - I think that they have to really be internally motivated for that to work, but I'll bet that you do plenty of whole group participation 'set the timer for 15 minutes and boogie the the main living area of the house'es, right?

I guess the tip is to stay positive, don't let the Martyr out, and keep praying while you wait. I think it will happen as they see the change in you and the house - but don't make me promise when. But honestly, if they notice that they miss FLYing at age 23,27, or 32 and they know they can find you and get the help they need, isn't that almost as good?

Here's Flylady's 'Babystep for Today'

Add an inspiration page to your Control Journal

Today we are going to add another page to our Control Journals. We are going to call this our Inspirational Page. On this page I want you to spend 15 minutes writing down some of your favorite inspirational phrases. Some of mine are;

You can do anything for 15 minutes,
Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family
You can�t organize clutter; you can only get rid of it.

I know you have others that you love. Use this page as a place to write them down when you see something that touches your heart.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Kate Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/03/10 08:23 PM
We are having a family de-clutter fest this Labor Day weekend! My DH actually suggested it. Instead of saying, "We have to clean the house this weekend," which makes me cringe and gives me a stomach ache, we are de-cluttering. I'm actually excited and happy about it! We are going to follow flylady's instructions using the timer, making sure to take fun breaks. Wish me well! Nan
Posted By: intparent Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/03/10 08:44 PM
I've been trying to use Flylady techniques on my cluttered garage. It seems so overwhelming... but then if I tell myself that I just need to find 10 things to get rid of and take care of them (and only them), I can do that! I figure if I just take care of 10 items a week, by late fall it will be uncluttered enough for a good cleaning.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/03/10 09:55 PM
Awesome NanRos! Awesome Inparent! Yippee!

I'm sure that after the garbage is tossed that both of you will have much more joy in actually cleaning the house, and see longer lasting results.

Do I love it?
Do I need it?
Does it make me smile?

Goes on my inspiration page!

Nan - did DH actually say the words: "De-clutter fest?"

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/04/10 11:49 AM
OK -
Here's my Inspirational Page:

My house is talking to me every minute � what is it saying?

Do I love it?
Do I need it?
Does it make me smile?

You can do anything for 15 minutes. We KNOW this is true.

Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family

You can�t organize clutter; you can only get rid of it.

Nothing says Ilove you like school and office supplies where they can be easily found.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/04/10 11:55 AM
today is Day 12
My moto now is: I can do anything for 31 days!

it's time to delete all the flylady emails that haven't been saved to your special 'favorites' folder.

Here's Fly:
You have your basic routine started and these are what you do for now. Do not try to do too much too fast; you will just crash and burn. Continue to take BabySteps to build your Control Journals. Do not allow your perfectionism to take over. We are building our routines and our Control Journals one habit at a time.
Have a great day,
Grinity
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/05/10 12:46 AM
Oh good, that's an easy one. Thanks for keeping us on track Grinity!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/05/10 02:01 AM
Sunday is Day 13
The Babystep is to pick on of Kelly's Missions and do it.
Here's the link:

and here is the link to Kelly's Mission Page

I just read that there is to be no copy/pasting from Flylady's site - only link posting.
Sorry!

Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/06/10 11:37 AM
Well, the family dog chose yesterday's mission...but that's over now.
Today, Monday, is Day 14.
The Mission is to read an article about using our Calanders:
http://flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_UsingCalendar.asp
Have a great day!
Posted By: DeHe Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/06/10 02:11 PM
How can you be that cheerful and supportive at 4 am! I hope being positive before dawn is not a requirement!

I have successfully sorted all my paper in the evil drawer into their apprpropriate folders. I still have to shred the stuff and go through the folders but I feel I have accomplished something!

DeHe
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/07/10 01:21 AM
yippee DeHe
believe me, there is something wrong with my computer - I am not posting at 4am! 6am no problem, but I love sleep.

I hope you feel a bit of a thrill DeHe to face the evil drawer. Babysteps are the way.
Tomorrow, Tuesday's babystep is to make your bed.

This was my first babystep when I started - it was the habit of the month. I love making my bed and I never tuck in the sheets, just tug and it looks so nice!

http://www.flylady.net/pages/bbd15.asp

love and More love,
Grinity
Posted By: DeHe Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/07/10 01:36 AM
Hi G
Okay, I get it now, it's pst, the website is in Nevada!!! I posted at 10 something and it says 7, there is no way I could post at 7am on labor day, even if I was up!!! I actually conquered the bed issue because it was such a big deal to my dh, although it was more likely the reality of having a sitter who could see it. But I cheat - king size comforter on a queen size bed covers all matter of not tucking!!!

DeHe
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/07/10 06:15 PM
I LOVE how u problem solved bedmaking. Go DeHe!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/08/10 01:46 AM
Wednesday the babystep is to read any flylady email. If you want, read one, post the link and your reaction.

http://www.flylady.net/pages/bbd16.asp

Love and More Love
Grinity

I just shined my sink. The weekend was pretty busy, and it 'felt' like the house was trashed, but 15 minutes this AM before work, and 15 minutes after work was all it took!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/08/10 04:23 PM
I went to Big Tent and read 'the smallest pencil'
http://www.bigtent.com/group/news/entry/39129110

nice testimonial about how much of our brain convinses us so convincingly that we 'can't' fix the clutter problem.

Also about writing things down "The smallest pencil is stronger than the strongest memory"
Perhaps only true for some of us - but a great reminder for me!

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/10/10 02:31 AM
Thanks Grinity, I must admit that this thread provided me the kick I needed to get on top of things again. I started keeping up with things that were getting a bit behind and my parenting has improved because of it. Thank you! I hope you are getting what you wanted out of it too.

I had deleted that email and so I went back and read it. smile I was starting to use my calendar and diary again, so now I feel smug wink

Ta!
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/10/10 02:56 AM
I haven't even started this yet but... I read the sink thing breifly and thought I wouldn't really do that. I don't like to dry the dishes. (I know this whole thing allows some flexibility.) The funny think is I did clean my sink and now I'm not leaving dirty dishes in the sink and then I dry it. I told myself I wasn't going to dry the sink but somehow I'm compelled. My DH has always wished I would not leave dirty dishes in the sink. I'm just waiting for him to notice I've improved.

Another thing, I started using the hand vaccum in the car as soon as I get home with my two back seat snackers. This is something I've thought of doing for years but never got around to it.

I've been a neat want to be for a long time.
Posted By: jesse Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/10/10 04:05 AM
"Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family" -- love this one!

Here is a challenge... if there is a lot of clutter, set a timer for 15 minutes and then go as fast as you can and you only have 2 options: donate or trash.

would this be too hard? laugh

Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/10/10 02:33 PM
I started keeping up with things that were getting a bit behind and my parenting has improved because of it. Thank you!

Good Morning GeoMamma and Dear Ones -
Can you say more about the connection for you between clutter and parenting? I'd love to hear it.

What was I hoping to get out of doing the Babysteps? I didn't go the babysteps with any particular intention - I just noticed that I recommend Flylady very often, and wasn't really sure how easy it was for people to get started. I started doing 'habit of the month' so it was much slower than this.

I felt like a better parent while FLYing bacause I was less angry, resentful, defensive, and shut down when the various surfaces of the house were saying 'Go Me' instead of 'You Stink.' My relationship with my Clutter was interfering with my relationship with my dear DS!

Good side effects have been the secure feeling DS has knowing he has a Mamma who can find an extra pencil, highlighter, notecard, notebook or posterboard at a moment's notice. I grew up feeling very 'out of control' in relation to things, and I felt that I was the cause of the out of controlness. Now I realize that my Mom was fighting hard to keep up as best she could, and that I was just being a normal kid. When my DS looses something, the fact that the baseline of the house is neat makes his job of looking for the thing a lot easier. I know because I see the difference when I let things pile up a bit.

Now DS14 is at boarding school. I've seen that although he was never into Flylady missions, he sometimes lectures me on the right way to do things, and the words are very familiar. I don't know if he has internalized enough of my efforts to stay organized right from the start, or if he will have to learn the hard way, but I have to believe that his learning will be faster because he knows what neat 'feels like' and he know some 'hows.'

Doing 31 days of babysteps feels like a big challenge - and with my son newly out of the house, I wanted to distract myself. Also, I'm an 'extravert' so it's easier to clean up and be organized when DS is physically in the house. Left to my own devices, with no one around to be 'good' for isn't something that comes naturally to me. I can report that the house looks great, cleans itself, and bounces back quickly from upsets in the routine. My plan is to supplant the idea of an 'empty nest' with the image of the kind of nurturing space for myself that I wished for as a child. Some of the goals that I've had for myself that I couldn't quite find time for without the babysteps are: flossing daily, 5 minutes of yoga (sun salutation) every morning, 5 minutes of meditation every night before bed. I can report that the babysteps are keeping me on track so I could add those daily things.

Today's babystep is to choose a bedtime - Ekk!
What should I do? Choose a ridiculously late bedtime like Midnight so that I can say I've done the step? Change is into a 'computer curfew?' I could give myself a computer curfew of 11pm on weeknights. I'll have to think this one over.

Can anyone help me with some of their own 'bedtimes' stories?

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/10/10 08:59 PM
Grinity
Here's a suggestion. Give yourself a pj time and get into bed with a book, or tv. It feels good to feel like you have more time and then relax. I find that if I get into my pj's and brush my teeth, floss and wash my face before I'm tired it's better. I tend to go to bed earlier. I don't give myself a bedtime. I just put down the book when I'm tired and go to sleep. Usually, I get to sleep by 10:00 when I'm on a roll of doing it right.

I don't want to do the grooming stuff if I get over tired. If I go on the computer after the kids are in bed I tend to stay up too late. Lately, Iv'e been staying up too late. I'm not sure why, except I'm anxious about the new school.

A note about flossing.
My dd in K had a dentist come to her class and speak about dental care. DD got both DH and myself flossing. I went to the dentist, after a year, and they said, "WOW your teeth look good and it's been a while". Usually, I got the lecture about needing to floss.

Do you want DD (now 7) give you a call?(She is an amazing girl. I think it's cool how a little person can have big impact.
Posted By: inky Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/10/10 09:19 PM
I started setting the timer on my watch for a 10pm reminder to go to bed. I've probably added at least an hour of sleep each night since doing this.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/11/10 12:50 AM
Thanks OTG and Inks - I love bedtime stories!
I just finished Flossing, and now saying good night to the internet - Yippee!
Grins
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/11/10 12:56 PM
OK - I choose 10:15 for schoolnight 'PJs on/Internet off'

Today is day 18.
the babystep is to read a Flylady essays.
Here's the link:

http://www.flylady.net/pages/FLYingLessons_11commandments.asp

Gave a great day,
Grinity
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/11/10 10:10 PM
[
Can you say more about the connection for you between clutter and parenting? I'd love to hear it.
Grinity

Maybe it is a combination of routine and clutter for me. It's so easy to get out of routine for us, and I was REALLY out of routine. Getting up, getting dressed and all that really set the tone for the day. My children need a fair bit of structure, and organised activities. I was starting to get quite slack with that.

In addition, between the layout of my house and two home educated very young children, it can get very messy very quickly. Trying to cut down on the clutter really helps that. I find that there is a strong inverse correlation between the clutter and the amount of tolerance I have!

And yes, there are few things more frustraiting than trying to do an activity and not being able to find something, while the whole time my children are destroying something/ whining they are bored/
fighting... you get the picture.

Having said that, decluttering is the hardest thing for me. I really struggle with that. I struggle to get started, I struggle to get rid of much. And when I do, DH wants to rescue it half the time. smile I suppose there is probably some reason for it, but I'm not sure what it is.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/12/10 02:32 AM
I'm still working on some clutter issues but one thing has made a big difference for me.

I started this with the kids toys. I had 9 bins in the basement that I would take toys out of and bring upstairs into the playroom. One day, I decide this was too crazy.I decided to put their toys in an upstairs closet, which was a smaller storage space next to the playroom. I will only keep what will fit in this space. It was so hard but I put aside my feeling of how useful or special something was for how it fit into the amount of space assigned.

I took this same principal with the linen closet. If it doesn't fit into the closet or my life it has got to go.

My kids do art in the kitchen. They each have a drawer for on going projects. If the drawer is too full they need to make it reasonable. It helps to set limits and learn to let go. I wish I learned this earlier.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/12/10 02:46 AM
PAPER CLUTTER,
I really need help with organizing files, school papers, things I want to read, things I need to take care of, catalogues, magazines, ect. How can I keep track of it all. I do keep a calendar on a mommy central bullentin board. This helps some. I tend to have applications/enrollment forms that I can't get done quickly then I need to get back too. How can I do this better? I have 2 laundry basket filled with "I never got around to it and needed it out of sight. What drives me crazy is stuff like school sends home a request for something like papertowel rolls but they don't want them until the next week. HElP me please.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/12/10 04:12 AM
PAPER CLUTTER,
... HElP me please.
Flylady has some good essays, but also read David Allen's 'Making it all work.'

A good first step is the 'do it now' principle - if it takes less than 3 mintues to do it, just do it.

OTG - Set the timer for 15 minutes once in the AM and once in the PM and attack those laundry baskets. You will get through them!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/12/10 04:14 AM
And yes, there are few things more frustraiting than trying to do an activity and not being able to find something, while the whole time my children are destroying something/ whining they are bored/
fighting... you get the picture.

I feel you here! Glad to know that you are taking the lead. As for parting with those objects, just know that you are getting to tell the Universe who you are and who you aren't at this moment in time. That is very powerful - but it is hard. It does get easier as you get more peace with what you life is right now.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/12/10 01:00 PM
OTG - let the school, or PTA president, know that requests should come home closer to the time the material is needed.

Great idea. It reminded me that we have a 'staging area' where backpacks and various items that need to leave the house within one week are stored. It's near the exit to the house, so there is a visual cue. Sometimes I put things in the car, with a sticky note on the steering wheel about what needs to go where tomorrow.

The items for school that have to sit more than 2 days get a prominent sticky note telling who has to take them on which day - maybe a calendar note also. My rule is to assume: If I can forget it, I will forget it.

As a 9-5 job- mom, I always liked having at least one weekend to round up exotic school supplies.

Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/12/10 01:06 PM
Day 19! Go Me! I'm more than halfway through - Yippee!

another essay to read

http://flylady.net/pages/TimeFLYs.asp#thing1

I just read it. One of my favorite FLY-images:
The bed and breakfast essay.

Dear Ones, your are in for a treat.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/12/10 01:09 PM
Oh I just got a great big smile from scrolling all the way down and reading:

What's Your "FLY - Q"?

I guess I still miss those Cosmo Quizzes I used to read as a teenager.
Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/13/10 03:52 PM
Welcome to day 20!

http://www.flylady.net/pages/bbd20.asp

Today we are asked to add laundry to our daily routines.

I've been pretty lucky in the laundry department - DH does all his own!

Also - I always enjoy folding and putting away because I can do it on my pretty made-up bed in front of an old episode of 'Glee'

Yippee!
Grinity
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/13/10 09:48 PM
Laundry started this morning. But my sink's not quite shiny, I'm going to try to get that done tonight.

Routines seem to be going well.

We biked to school again this morning (my big back to school goal). So far I think we've biked it 15/20 schooldays.

Maryann
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/13/10 11:17 PM
Yippee Maryann!

I did well in a lot of areas, but my 'delay Internet until dressed to shoes' was a crashing fail this morning. I had a wonderful weekend and just didn't want to be responsible this AM. OH well - progress not perfection. I can jump right back in, and get back to my routines.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/14/10 10:48 AM
Good Morning!
Today's babystep = Day 21! - is to check out Flylady's search engine: Ask Flylady!

http://flylady.net/pages/AskFlyLady1.asp

If anyone finds any particularly meaningful asks/answers, let me know, ok?

love and More love,
Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/15/10 01:56 AM

I think this is a cute idea for kids.

Before he goes to bed, he puts his clothes for the next day in that drawer, along with his belt and a pair of socks and clean undies. Plus anything small he wants to remember to take somewhere the next day. Those are the only items in that drawer.

He is so excited about his Tomorrow Drawer! He has a launching pad for his backpack, but he didn't want? his undies out where anyone could see them & neither would I (lol). And I am amazed when he appears fully dressed & ready to go.

Thank you for the inspiration. The tomorrow drawer is already working well and it will make mornings a lot easier next week when school starts.

I have my kids pick out their clothes only during the school year. Maybe I should continue this thru the summer to make good habits? what do you think? Do they need a break from this in the summer?

Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/15/10 11:12 AM
Thanks again.

I wonder how everyone goes with bed time routines? I find this the hardest one to do. I have an afternoon routine - get the washing off the line, start tea, bath children, get children to sleep, and then study, btu trying to get a night routine where I actually get stuff ready for tomorrow, that is hard. I can't seem to figure out a way to do it that really 'works' or 'clicks' I would be interested to hear how other people's routines work - especially if you have young children who need fairly intensive parenting at that time of the day.
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/15/10 05:02 PM
GeoMamma,

Could you just add to your afternoon routine? Maybe as you're getting the wash off the line, you decide what to wear tomorrow, etc.

Maryann
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/15/10 05:21 PM
Tommorow draw! Sounds great! I would do it all summer too - why not?
GeoMamma - Whatever you decide, start slowly, and don't start adding for weeks. Maybe the only chore to start with in PM is to check your Control Journal. Maybe 2 jobs: check the control journal and do the one thing that you most dread doing each AM. You want the biggest bang for your time, yes? Do you shine your sink in the afternoon or the Evening? If you do shine in the PM, then here is your first habit!

Today is Day 22: Check your control Journal every AM and PM.

http://flylady.net/pages/cjmain.asp

here's directions to help build that Control Journal.

I've built mine so far - but I haven't checked it! Opps! I do have sticky notes that I see every AM and PM.

Humm.

Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/16/10 01:20 PM
Today is Day 23: 'Set Your Afternoon Routine'

((GeoMamma - you are ahead of the game on this one. Who Knew?))

http://flylady.net/pages/bbd23.asp

I've been wanting to Meditate when I get home from work, but I'm always so hungry, then I oversnack, then I'm too full to sit, then the dog get walked, and I remember just one more thing I wanted to do on the computer. It hasn't happend yet. So I'm going to add some sticky notes with a tentitive 'afterwork' list of babysteps. I just put a reminder in my phone to do this Monday - you see, I already have plans right after work today and tomorrow!

But I did add 20 minutes of meditation first thing in the AM to my morning routine this morning, and it went well. Yippee!

Love and more love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/17/10 01:45 PM
Today is Day 24: Swish and swipe
details at http://flylady.net/pages/bbd24.asp

Saturday is Day 25: Learn how the routines developed
details at http://flylady.net/pages/bbd25.asp

I just read this essay - it'a about how Flylady got started 'way back when.'

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/17/10 11:19 PM
Oh cool, thanks.

I like the idea of adding it slowly and I do like the idea of getting my clothes ready when I put the washing away. That probably is the most difficult bit in the morning and contributes to the mess in my room!

Or the sink, 'cause I don't shine that very regularly...

smile

Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/19/10 01:56 AM
I found it was really hard to get to all the night time stuff when my children were under 6yrs. I keep trying to simplify some things in my life with the kids so it is easier. It is a process and can take time. Hang in there.

Try to look at why something is so hard. When I started with my first baby it was crazy in my house. The toys were taking over then I decided toys are for the playroom only. This has done alot to simplify my life.

If you have a gifted intense kid(S) then it's even harder.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/19/10 05:17 AM
Thanks for sharing onthegomom, I can't say how important it is to hear that right now!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/19/10 09:00 PM
Oh cool, thanks.

I like the idea of adding it slowly and I do like the idea of getting my clothes ready when I put the washing away. That probably is the most difficult bit in the morning and contributes to the mess in my room!

smile
This sounds like a lovely idea.
Today is Day 26: Jump in where you ARE!
Well today's babystep is to look at the bottom of any Flylady Email and I think that's what she always says....

I love her little talk about how missing one day doesn't mean we should quit!
http://www.flylady.net/pages/bbd26.asp

Love and More Love and only 5 more babystep days left!!!!!!!!
yippee!
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/20/10 07:10 PM
Today is Day 27: What's For Dinner?

Agggggggggh!

Parenting duty most likely to make me want to run for the hills!

Actually we do have a routine in my Family - DH and I meal plan/weekly schedual plan on Sunday nights and Wednesday nights. 3 dinner seems about all I can plan ahead for.

Flylady suggests that as part of the AM or PM routine one adds the line - "What's for Dinner?"

Best Wishes,
Grinity
Posted By: BWBShari Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/21/10 04:42 PM
You and your damn flylady Grins!! For the last week I've had an obsessive need to shine my sink and I have no time!!! Arghhh!!
Posted By: intparent Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/21/10 05:43 PM
There was a peanut butter smudge on my sink and some cocoa power spilled next to it (1/4 teaspoon max) this morning. I was in a hurry, but after months of Flylady training I could NOT leave it without wiping it up smile Still a lot of clutter (kitchen table = home office, and has for months... must find time to move home office into actual home office space, which does exist -- and is even clean, after using Flylady 15 minute technique on it last winter). I guess my new tecnique for keeping the home office clean is to not use it... But I figure it is a good sign that I couldn't leave that smear on the sink today.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/21/10 06:19 PM
Here's my take the stress out of it meal plan, just give each day a theme and then add variations.

(I have a picky 7 & 10 year old)

Monday- Breakfast foods: pancakes, waffles, egg sandwich,ect.
Tuesday- Hotdog or sausage
Wed- Hamburger,sloppy joe or pulled pork sand.
Thurs- Chicken or Pasta
Friday - Stir fry or Tacos
Saturday - Soup or Stew
Sunday - Roast - Chicken or porkloin
Usually I have some leftovers from the weekend and can skip a day cooking during the week.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/21/10 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by BWBShari
You and your damn flylady Grins!! For the last week I've had an obsessive need to shine my sink and I have no time!!! Arghhh!!

Jump in where you are dear BWBShari! Sorry to be renting space in your head over this. Can you bribe one of the children to do it?

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/21/10 11:20 PM
Today is day 28: Eat good Food - Drink your Water - and get your Rest!

Many times when we can�'t seem to get going it is because we are not taking care of ourselves by eating right, drinking our water or getting enough sleep. As part of your routines I want you to remind yourself to eat good food, drink your water and get your rest.

Wise Words!

Intparent - so glad you didn't let that mess harden!
OTG - love your dinner plan!

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/22/10 01:29 AM
I starting attacking paper clutter yesterday. I read some of the reccomendations someone here gave. A "aha moment" has occurred. (I just never thought of this befor and it seems so obvious.)I must have a file for things worth keeping or to do. Instead of making a pile, I put it in a file and make a note on my "to do list" to go back to the file. I was leaving all the "to do papers" out and it was getting lost in a pile of papers. I'm going to limit "my read it sometime" to a basket full. I'm not sure if this will take care of it all, but it should get better. I'm feeling excited to possibly be more organized and less messy. I can hardly wait to get back to this tommorrow.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/22/10 01:38 AM
Ps. I'm still wiping my sink. I don't know why??? I said I wasn't going to do this. There must be some sorta fly lady spell cast over me from visiting the website.

Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/22/10 11:04 AM
Ps. I'm still wiping my sink. I don't know why??? I said I wasn't going to do this. There must be some sorta fly lady spell cast over me from visiting the website.

LOL! love it. Flywashed by proxy smile

I am taking part in the current super fling boogie and doing my bedroom. A lot of the stuff in there isn't mine, but I've done my bits and, yes, it is having an effect. A slow one, but still!

I think that is really what I need to do in preparation for moving. Getting rid of the old to make way for new in my life.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/22/10 01:18 PM
GeoMamma - good luck with the move and decluttering!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/22/10 04:15 PM
I starting attacking paper clutter yesterday. I read some of the reccomendations someone here gave. A "aha moment" has occurred. (I just never thought of this befor and it seems so obvious.)I must have a file for things worth keeping or to do. Instead of making a pile, I put it in a file and make a note on my "to do list" to go back to the file. I was leaving all the "to do papers" out and it was getting lost in a pile of papers. I'm going to limit "my read it sometime" to a basket full. I'm not sure if this will take care of it all, but it should get better. I'm feeling excited to possibly be more organized and less messy. I can hardly wait to get back to this tommorrow.

Awesome OTG! So glad you hear your plan.

Today is Day 29: Set aside time to enjoy a Pamper Mission.

Here's the link to flylady telling us what a great job we've done and how far we've come - worth a read:
http://flylady.net/pages/bbd29.asp

My pamper mission is a trip to a Meditation teacher on Saturday - I'm so excited.

What pamper missions are on your 'to do' lists? We do deserve it!
Grinity
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/23/10 09:54 AM
GeoMamma - good luck with the move and decluttering!

Thanks, it is a while until we move, but I wanted it to be sooner rather than later. I'm thinking of it as my way of telling the universe I'm ready to move on smile

What pamper missions are on your 'to do' lists? We do deserve it!
Grinity

Hmm, that's a hard one. smile I think I might try and have bubble bath on Sunday night, like I used to.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/23/10 06:07 PM
LOL GeoMamma! Bubble bath sounds very nice.

Today is Day 30 ((trumpet sounds!!))
Babystep is: Go to you Calandar and look at next month's activities.

Check Your Control Journal Every Morning, Afternoon and Evening

Look at your calendar for next month. Does anyone have a birthday? We forget to send cards and purchase gifts. Put this on your errand list so you can to buy cards and gifts on your errand day. To learn more about a Basic Weekly Plan; You don't have to start doing it yet. Just think about it.

http://flylady.net/pages/FLYFaq.asp#weeklyplan

This sounds dreadful to me, but I'm going to go do it!
One more babystep day - one more babystep day!!!
Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/24/10 12:05 AM
Wow could I use this one! good luck
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/24/10 02:00 AM
I was doing a weekly plan... Okay. I'll think about it. But that's all I'm doing, LOL!

Wow, only one day to go? That seems to have gone by so fast! Much better with others!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/24/10 07:56 PM
TA DA!!!!
We have reached DAY 31: I'm So Proud Of You!!!!

Check Your Control Journal Every Morning, Afternoon and Evening

Don't get bogged down by wanting to know everything about our system. As your clutter goes away you will find that you will have time to do the zone detailed cleaning, weekly home blessing hour and some of the fun things we do in our email and on the website. You don't have to see the top of the staircase to take the first step or the 30th step; you just need to keep FLYing!

I am so proud of you!

We did it! We did it! We did it - Yeah!!! I'm so proud of me and so proud of you! We don't have to see the top of the staircase to keep taking steps.

I am proud of everyone who did any part of this experiment. I feel like it was much easier with all of you.

Yippee!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/24/10 08:02 PM
So - What have I accomplished?

I have a rock solid AM routine - and I'm really staying off the Internet until it's completed, which was SSO hard in the begining and now seems easy- including 20 minutes of meditation and 3 Yoga Sun Salutations.

I have a 'baby' afterwork routine - 20 minutes of meditation before Internet.

Hotspots are still an issue at times, but lots of decluttering has given me more places to put things until I 'get' to them.

I did a few 'anti-procrastination' tasks and set up some Pamper Missions.

DH and I are settling into a Wednesday is Date Night expectation. If one of us forgets, we remind each other.

I've gotten through my first 6 weeks with DS14 at Boarding School!!! I'm not mopey and the house isn't a mess!

Yippee!
I'd love to hear if anyone else is proud of anything FLY!

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/25/10 01:31 AM
I made some more progress with my paper clutter.(Pat Pat on the back)I realized I still don't know what to do with some stuff but I'll get back to it. It is better. I just need to keep going on the right path.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/25/10 10:30 PM
I got back into some habits that I had fallen out of. In particular, getting ready first thing in the morning. I hadn't realised how much of a difference it makes if I turn the computer on first!

I also started decluttering again. I find that the hardest thing to do, so that is an achievement.

Congratulations to all of us!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/26/10 10:35 PM
What I love about Flylady is that even if done a tiny bit, the effect is so nice!
Posted By: intparent Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/27/10 01:05 AM
Success! I moved the "home office" back into the home office today (and off the dining room table)! In fact, I am sitting in the real home office typing this. And got another hour of cleanup done in my garage today. A coworker came over and took my unused-for-several-years windsurfer off my hands, and several boxes of boat equipment related to an estate I am involved with. Once the clutter was gone, I could actually clean those parts of the garage. Yay!
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/27/10 04:22 AM
Yay intparent! That is fantastic!

We are tackling the dungeon, aka known as the spare room...
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/27/10 11:01 AM
Oh Wow INTParent! Well done. That is so exciting.
Go GeoMamma. Love that you are tackling the dungeon.

We have a dishwasher for the last 15 years that sort of works and sort of doesn't. I won't let us choose the cycle -instead randomly chooses for itself, sometimes the dishes come out dirtier than they went in, but not always, and wets the floor about three times a year. But it won't ever just plain stop working! Last Friday DH asked if I thought that now was the time to buy a new one, and Sunday we did. Wednesday it will be delivered. DH never really believed that it wasn't somehow all my fault that I was somehow using the machine incorrectly, so I not only was frustrated with the machine, but I resent it too.

DH: "Are you planning to read the Manual for this one?" Took me 24 hours to get that DH still thinks it's all my fault somehow. I thought at the time it was just an innocent question. Grrrrrrrr.

3 strong willed perfectionistic people in one house is a lot to live with. Even 2. Perhaps this new machine will prove me competent to operate a dishwasher. Or maybe not....time will tell.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: intparent Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/27/10 02:40 PM
Hmm, my H would have found himself on dishwasher duty in a hurry, Grinity!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/27/10 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by intparent
Hmm, my H would have found himself on dishwasher duty in a hurry, Grinity!

I know it sounds crazy - but for many of those years I was doing wage work 'only' 20 hours a week while DH was doing 60 hours. And the dishwasher knew how to work just well enough that it would dissapear from my consiousness for months at a time. It isn't exactly that I wanted a new dishwasher all that time just a new DH- more that I kept hoping the dishwasher would stop working entirely!

Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/28/10 01:46 AM
I know what you mean - my washing machine falls into that category.

The dungeon is proving more difficult than I had imagined. Any tips for decluttering and organizing when

a) It's craft supplies and you are a home educating ex-teacher

b) Half the stuff is in scattered in several different places

c) Every time your toddler goes in there he wants to eat the cat food smile

??
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/28/10 10:39 AM
DH never really believed that it wasn't somehow all my fault that I was somehow using the machine incorrectly, so I not only was frustrated with the machine, but I resent it too.

My DH thought our vaccum cleaner and cell phone issues were my fault too. LOL I kept kidding DH he should go work for the vaccum repair shop. I'm sure I don't have bad chemistry that makes appliance have troubles. He seems to want to not believe things are broke or a problem so he doesn't have to fix/replace it. I think he may also feel bad that he is not providing for his family so he deflects the blame. Just to let you know you are not alone in this.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/28/10 10:45 AM
Any tips for decluttering and organizing when

When I get to my basement here's my dream plan. Buy a cabinet that locks up for art supplies. The kids leave our current storage a mess. Have clear boxes labeled and organized.

I would designate storage/selves for each activity and pass on what does not fit. This is hard, but this has helped me with my kids toys. If you don't have much space go as tall as you can with shelves.

There are some organizing magazines that maybe inspirational.
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/28/10 05:51 PM
DH never really believed that it wasn't somehow all my fault that I was somehow using the machine incorrectly,

He seems to want to not believe things are broke or a problem so he doesn't have to fix/replace it. I think he may also feel bad that he is not providing for his family so he deflects the blame. Just to let you know you are not alone in this.
Thanks OTG!
I do feel less alone - and thanks for the wisdom about the deflecting blame issue, that gives me something to think about that I had missed.

My DH also is hard to get started on the fix/replace actions. I think of it as executive issues.

One kind of executive function is noticing that there is a problem.

A seperate issue is getting started on fixing.

Maintaining focus while fixing is a seperate strength.

Sparing a little bit of attention to keep checking that it's a good idea to continue the job you started out to do is a forth executive function.

So a person can be good at one, two, three or four of these executive functions. DH agrees that since he is good at maintaining focus until the job is done, he's a little extra reluctant to notice problems in the first place, since he dreads all that maintaning focus that he knows will enevitably follow noticing.

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/28/10 06:01 PM
The dungeon is proving more difficult than I had imagined. Any tips for decluttering and organizing when

??

Can you put the cat food 'up high' where the toddler won't get it?

As for the scattered stuff, I agree that this is frustrating. That's why it didn't get that way overnight and we can't fix it overnight. I would try to divide the room into zones so that you can feel some sense of accomplishment. No matter how you tackle this big job, you will succeed if you stay with it. Ah babysteps! Feel welcome to keep posting here so we can cheer you on.

I sort of divide my messes into catagories like this:
First I like to get rid of the garbage that no one could possibly use. After I've done that for enough days, I can move around in the room.

Then I look for important minimesses that I can carry to a different part of the house so that I don't have to say in the dungeon to clean and organize - 30 minutes at a time.

After a bit of that I look over the storage shelves that I already have and try and notice if I 'need it, love it' or if whatever is one those shelves for 'someday' could go to bless someone else. Usually there is because 'suprise, suprise' me from last year isn't perfect about predicting what this year's me will still be interested in. I think it's only perfectionism to think that last year's me should be able to do that in the first place.

Then I can place some of the newly organized mini-ex-messes on the storage shelves. Yippee!

Then it's just carefully looking at each thing in the room and being willing to ask myself the magic questions. I haven't yet found a situation where something that I truly love and need hasn't had some place to go.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Maryann1 Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/28/10 06:06 PM
Hooray for taking on a job that seems so huge. Babysteps will see it through.

So, to answer out of order:
Get it all in the same place. If you want to start with clear containers first, so much the better, but just move it all together.

Don't worry about it. Cat food won't hurt him smile our DD ate the cat food too. We just got upset when she decided to put all the cat food in their water bowl. It becomes inedible quickly.
Good luck! I have a hard enough time with my weaving supplies. A wire rack/shelf and see through tubs (WITH LIDS) really helped me. If the lid doesn't fit, get a larger container or an annex container smile

Sometimes I feel like I need to take my own advice. wink

Maryann
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/28/10 11:21 PM
[quote=Grinity
My DH also is hard to get started on the fix/replace actions. I think of it as executive issues.

One kind of executive function is noticing that there is a problem.

A seperate issue is getting started on fixing.

Maintaining focus while fixing is a seperate strength.

Sparing a little bit of attention to keep checking that it's a good idea to continue the job you started out to do is a forth executive function.

So a person can be good at one, two, three or four of these executive functions. DH agrees that since he is good at maintaining focus until the job is done, he's a little extra reluctant to notice problems in the first place, since he dreads all that maintaning focus that he knows will enevitably follow noticing.

Smiles,
Grinity[/quote]

Grinity - You are so funny. Thanks for the laugh. I have to admit that many times I write LOL and I just think somethings funny but this time I really laughed.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/29/10 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone, it's good to have the extra motivation. I have already thrown out a garbage bag ful of rubbish smile Very proud of me.

Usually there is because 'suprise, suprise' me from last year isn't perfect about predicting what this year's me will still be interested in. I think it's only perfectionism to think that last year's me should be able to do that in the first place.

I like that, I'll have to remember it.

I also like onthegomom's idea of allocating space and what doesn't fit can't be kept. We are really short on space so that may have to happen.

And I'm going to try to get some clear plactic containers tommorrow.

Thanks. smile
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 09/29/10 04:05 PM
Grinity - You are so funny. Thanks for the laugh. I have to admit that many times I write LOL and I just think somethings funny but this time I really laughed.

No wonder my son took on the role of Class Clown before we figured out that he had special educational needs. I do love life's little ironies.

Basically, you have to check everything I say to see if it makes sense to you, because I have been known to exagerate for effect! But I did read a book about all the different Executive Functions and I'm not exaggerating with that list. It's really true.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/02/10 02:53 AM
My new habit that I've been working on is going great for 2wks now! I'm so proud of myself for this simple thing. I've just wanted to do this for years. As soon as I get home after my snackers make a mess, I use the hand vaccum. On Fridays, I quickly do the windows and wipe interior. My car looks neat all the time!Happy dance. It only takes 5 mins.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/02/10 11:08 PM
Yay, onthegomom! Congratulations. What a great idea!

I've had a stomach bug go through my house, so I haven't got much done this week - the dungeon remains dungeon-ish smile Hopefully we will all be feeling better soon and I'll get something done.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/03/10 09:55 PM
I wish I could send some Chicken soup. Feel better soon.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/06/10 05:52 AM
Thanks, onthegomom, we are all better now, but it took a few days. I'll take some virtual chicken soup, thank you smile

So back to the dungeon: I through out all my class notes from my last degree. I'm not sure why I still had them. Felt very cathartic!

My next goal is to tackle the paper-clutter pigeon holes built into the bookshelf. I don't even really know what is in half of those.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/06/10 11:24 PM
GeoMamma- are you going to do the whole flylady program?

I still have not started. I'm just doing a few things on my own. I'm hoping I can get my bedroom and closet cleaned up soon. After that I want to start the fly lady program. Maybe someone here will do it with me. That would make it more fun. OR maybe I'll recruit a friend I know that wants her house more organized.
Posted By: DeHe Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/07/10 12:34 AM
The ultimate flylady test - we're moving!!!!! Cue scary music. Actually I am oddly excited in that now I HAVE to clean everything and sort and throw stuff out. So by some point in 2011 I will only have stuff I love, I need, or fits into very narrowly proscribed criteria for being saved!!!
But I do fear going into the back of some closets that I haven't been into since we moved in here!!!

DeHe
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/07/10 10:31 AM
Onthegomom - I've been doing the flylady thing for years now. I really have found it incredibly useful to me.

kcab - it was amazing how much of a difference it made. It's just paper but it felt really good. smile

DeHe - I found flylady things really helped with our move interstate. She has something on her website and I used that a lot. And yes, we got rid of HEAPS of things when we moved. It was great. Good luck with your move!
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/07/10 01:57 PM
DeHe- Good luck with your move, and I love your vision of your new life.

Kcab - good for your for saying: 'This is who I am right now - this is who I am not right now' by throwing away those papers that no longer make you smile. How sweet that your daughter loves your early work. I like to digitize that sort of thing when it gets too large. I love your flexibility to move on to another part of the house when you weren't sure - there is always another part of the house to do, so why not?

GeoMamma - ((happy dance for you!))

OTG - I'm sure you are doing 'flylady' in a way that is just right for you. The Fly is big into going slow and establishing routines before adding new steps to the dance - which sounds exactly like your plan to me.

I looked around my house today and it was so NEAT! Very nurturing. Hummmm.

Blissed Out,
Grinity
Posted By: onthegomom Re: FlyLady Experiment - 10/09/10 07:59 PM
OTG - I'm sure you are doing 'flylady' in a way that is just right for you. The Fly is big into going slow and establishing routines before adding new steps to the dance - which sounds exactly like your plan to me.

I quess that's true.
Posted By: La Texican Re: FlyLady Experiment - 12/21/10 09:21 PM
This thread happened live at the end of my pregnancy. I couldn't keep up. With the daily suggestions. I could hardly keep up with the bare necessities, feed the family. Take out the trash. Do the dishes. Change the diapers. I was overweight, dizzy, exhausted, and could barely move. I tried to do what I could as I could and flylady's 15 minutes at a time thing made everything better than it would have been otherwise. As I recovered from giving birth I did more of the flylady's routines while I was getting stronger everyday. Now it's close to 3 months later and I'm fine. I even ride a bicycle w/kid's trailer a few blocks to the post office. I'm recovered health-wise. I did a fly-lady style crisis clean, tackled my washmore. Dust the zones. The house ain't perfect but there's consistent improvement. I almost went through and did an old-fashioned three day straight scrub-a-thon where my house becomes spotless. I considered it. With my old way of doing things i was more efficient and better and produced a spotless clean. But there were days that the house got bad enough I'd hope nobody came over unannounced. With the flylady routines I should always be comfortable if somebody shows up to my house unexpected. for now I'm going to stick with trying to improve my consistency in following the flylady routines and establishing my perfecting cleaning habits rather than cleaning my house perfectly. And this is one major life change in myself from a gifted child's mind to a gifted mommy's mind. Cocoon
Posted By: La Texican Re: FlyLady Experiment - 12/21/10 09:22 PM
Thanks Grinnity, I'm going to dub you a guide or a guru. <3
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 12/22/10 12:33 AM
La Tex - I woke up thinking about this very thread! I'm so proud of you for the babysteps and flywashing you are experiencing. I can't believe you are in such good shape with a little 3 month old in the house - WOW!

I started the thread to help me through my son being away at boarding school for the first time. He came home for winter break last weekend and I was just thinking how I'm sticking to my routines independently of his whereabouts, and I'm so proud of me.

F-L-Y stands for finally loving myself! I don't call it the 'empty nest' I call it the 'slightly used, nurturing nest' and I'm right in the center of it.

And DS14 is super-cute, super-mature, super-fun to have around. yippee!
Grinity
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: FlyLady Experiment - 12/24/10 12:23 AM
Oh, I loved this tread - it kept me busy! smile
Posted By: Spoonie Re: FlyLady Experiment - 12/24/10 03:21 AM
I'm new around here, but I had to post. I watched the intro to Hoarders, stopped and went to the kitchen. Ran a huge load of silverware and glasses, found the bottom of the sink, scrubbed it clean, ran the disposer, and made dinner. Now I can relax and 'enjoy' Hoarders.

I bought my first house in August and we are still surrounded by the boxes and have dropped into CHAOS. Maybe it's time to pick up FlyLady again.

Thanks!
Posted By: Nik Re: FlyLady Experiment - 12/24/10 06:03 PM
Spoonie, that's hilarious, I just read this entire thread, I had never heard of Fly-lady before, but what a great idea! I may run through it just for fun even though I now live in a pretty spotless organized environment.

My home was a never ending disaster zone while the kids were little and I just kept repeating the mantra "cleaning the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk while its still snowing". I have so many precious photos of my girls when they were little that I can never share due to the horrendous conditions in the background!

I did always keep my bedroom and the living room picked up and vacuumed for my sanity zones but I never thought of the positive psychological effects on the whole family of overall cleanliness and order in the home.

When I moved to a smaller place, I never could unpack most of my boxes and then I got remarried to a neat freak who already had a nicely furnished and immaculate home, so more of my stuff went into boxes. There definitely is something so harmonious and peaceful about a clean home, we now call it our tranquility base. I can't imagine how we got along in such chaos before!

For over 5 years, I have had roughly 30 moving boxes in storage in a garage and the thoughts of going through them just made me cringe but I "just knew" there were precious and valuable things in those boxes so I couldn't bear to part with them. This year, I finally decided it had to be done, and I am proud to say I have taken 2 pick up truck loads to the goodwill and a ginormous load to the dump. I also found space in our tranquility base for a few things that I really love. I still have a little ways to go, but it feels so good to finally unload and let go. I just have to pick non-sentimental days to work on it or I'll spend a whole day in memory lane and end up sitting in huge pile of mementos that have to be repacked(!).
Posted By: Grinity Re: FlyLady Experiment - 12/24/10 08:58 PM
Nik - I'm so proud of you! That's amazing that you had the strength to 'go there' and rescue the stuff you really love.
Spoonie - welcome! Glad you liked the thread.

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: La Texican Re: FlyLady Experiment - 02/19/12 05:35 AM
Here's a funny clip- old Age activated Attention Disorder.

Posted By: SiaSL Re: FlyLady Experiment - 02/19/12 05:46 AM
Hey, that's me in the movie!

Or could be...
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum