Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: melmichigan Interested in group? - 07/09/09 09:27 PM
I'm offline for a few days but just wanted to get the ball rolling here. We are at 17 out of 20 necessary families to apply for group status. (I understand there might be a few interested on the WTM board but am unsure there.) I spoke with Marie at EPGY by phone today so everything is good there. I will be forming the group under my homeschool. Invitations will go out to all families who express interest on the enrollment form. This will help keep numbers reasonable for the SSA's who will kindly be dedicating their time. I am told it is minimal once everything is up and running. What I will need from everyone is the parents name, zip code, email address, and the # of students you are interested in enrolling. I would also ask that you include your screen name so that I understand who is who for count purposes. Please make sure this information is PM'd to me so as not to compromise the online forums. Please realize that this information is being compiled and submitted to EPGY exactly as written. The form can be viewed at http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/interestform.pdf

When I get back next week I will review them and see where we are with the numbers and post a list of the screen names so that I know I have everyone. Thank you all for your time and especially your participation! smile
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/14/09 03:30 PM
Thank you!
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/15/09 05:20 AM
My family is definitely interested. I just enrolled my son in EPGY for the summer and he loves it. I was thinking about rounding up enough interest amongst friends and I saw this posting.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/15/09 02:54 PM
They flyer doesn't really explain what this is, or the age necessary etc? Is it for a summer school study group?
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/15/09 03:00 PM
Hi Melissa
i probably missed it but i'm not sure how to contact you. i usually just post on the board and i don't see your email address. I am still interested in the program for my two children.
irene
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/15/09 04:08 PM
Here is the original thread with a bit more background for those just finding this thread...

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/50559/1.html

Also, I think if you just click on melmichigan (the screen name) you should see some options, including 'send PM'. this will start a sort of email you can send her.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/15/09 06:56 PM
Here is the message I posted on the WTM board to answer questions, maybe it will help here.

I just spoke with Stanford EPGY the end of last week. I am starting a homeschool group under my homeschool, I am registered in my state and homeschool with a non-public school determination from the state. You would be joining the open enrollment program under my homeschool "district".

This means that you will have access from EPGY to all their online class materials. You will receive tech support from those in the group who have volunteered to learn the necessary troubleshooting from EPGY. They will become the SSA's for the group. You, as the parent then take on the role as teacher. You are NOT purchasing an individual class from EPGY, to do that (and you may on your own) you must first apply, your child must then meet their requirements and be accepted before you can enroll. Then you would deal with EPGY. Those classes start at $495 a quarter I believe it is. In this program you are purchasing access to the materials only, for $135, for the year. The SSA's will contact EPGY on your behalf with any access problems if they are unable to resolve them.

The program is open throughout their "year" but obviously the sooner you sign up the more you get for your money. That is why I have been pursuing this since I found out of it's existance and the interest. I have to have 20 families express interest in order to submit to EPGY for group status. For more information please visit the link http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/ you can toggle away from that page in the EPGY site to view more information. For more information about the individual program (seperate from this offering) or to view samples of the materials visit the link at http://epgy.stanford.edu/

Also, just to be sure it's clear, once you receive your email from Stanford EPGY you will create a login and pay on their website. They will then generate your account. I will not be accepting any money. In that email will be the information for contact with the SSA's for help you may need with the program.

Hope it helped.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/15/09 06:57 PM
Thanks Chris!
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/20/09 04:30 AM
We are now passed the necessary 20 families!

Anyone else who would like to be added please PM. I will be hoping to wrap this up and submit to EPGY this week.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/21/09 03:16 PM
Thanks for getting this all together. I'll peruse their website a bit more to see what exactly we will have access to. It sound like we just use the material like a homeschooler and don't submit anything to them in terms of completed assignments, though, right?

I edited this a bit as it seems I can answer my own questions by actually looking at their website and prior msgs wink!

One other question, though. Can other people join through your hs group/district after you submit the info to EPGY? For instance, say someone else comes across this thread in a month, could s/he sign up at that point and just select this group as his/her district when enrolling?
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/21/09 11:33 PM
There will be a number of seats open once the enrollment is finalized. I am unsure how many right now until we get further in the process. This is necessary to keep the amount of time the SSA's need to volunteer reasonable. Others may also pursue open enrollment through their school district or homeschool group in the same way we did here.
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/22/09 03:02 AM
That's great that we have 20 families. Thanks Melissa.
Posted By: CrystalPalace Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/22/09 04:02 AM
Test. Please Disgard.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/22/09 04:37 PM
cool The list is faxed.
Posted By: Another Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/22/09 06:00 PM
Thanks Melissa.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/22/09 10:21 PM
Here are the names that went to EPGY:

Myself
Osmosis Mom
Mama22Gs
Another
Cricket2
chris1234
Elisa
questions
Crisc
Edwin
Wei-l
sittin pretty
fractalgal
Blessedfamily
4SLee
renie1
Pi314
happydays
papillon
shaangi
renie1
scooby
Joyful
mom123
Mommy2myEM
Prissy
btomov
Cee Cee-will PM

Thank you!
Posted By: crisc Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 07/31/09 05:32 PM
Thanks Melissa!

Any idea how long it will be before we get the e-mail to sign up?
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/01/09 03:07 PM
Since I have gotten a few PM's about this as well...I emailed EPGY the beginning of the week and asked if there was a ballpark timeframe to get things up and running; I haven't heard back. I will try to call Marie this coming week and see if I can get an answer to that quesiton. I'll then post on this thread when I know something.
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/03/09 01:49 PM
Melissa,

Thanks for your work on this!

I hope your summer is going well.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/04/09 01:51 PM
OK, we are getting set to go! In the next few days I will be sending emails to everyone with the information needed to register with EPGY so please check your email. If you don't see something by Friday then PM. smile
Posted By: crisc Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/04/09 02:20 PM
Thanks again!
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/04/09 02:28 PM
Thanks. I will sign up early next week since I will be offline for a few days at the end of the week and this weekend. That's okay, right?
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/04/09 03:03 PM
There isn't a deadline to sign up.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/06/09 12:02 AM
All emails have been sent! If you didn't receive an email please PM and let me know.

If anyone on the board is interested or comes across this thread later and is interested please PM and I will see about adding you to the 'class'. smile
Posted By: Pi314 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 12:34 AM
Is anyone experiencing registration issues ? When I try to log in to the web-site on the email, I get a message that the web-site is under maintainence with HTTP 500 error.

Any thoughts.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 12:36 AM
I had ok success a couple days back, I can take a quick peek to see if it's up for me.

Edit - Will PM you with an idea.
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 01:53 AM
I logged in today with no issues, We will start the program next week.

Thank you Melissa for your hard work

Posted By: Pi314 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 01:14 PM
Thanks Chris. I could get through the registration process.
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 06:31 PM
Hi melissa
both my kids started today. they seemed to enjoy it.
it was a bit quirky though with where the lessons started. It seemed to start on a lesson at grade level 1.6.. beginning subtraction. is that by design? should i let them start there and see how they do or back up to the beginning. I want to use it in the way it was intended. I am posting here thinking others will have same question.
tahnks
irene
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 08:49 PM
Yes Renie, I have the same question. I think Melissa is looking into how to most easily find the right fit, and how to manually adjust things if needed. From what I read, the intention is to start at what you know to be the 'grade level', if a child is still getting 100% after a few lessons (don't remember the exact number) moving up is recommended. If they are getting around 50% right, they suggest moving down. I think they said 80% might indicate the best 'zone' for a child/subject. (writing this from memory, so if any corrections are needed, feel free to point them out!) smile
Unfortunately I just plugged in ds' regular grade for language arts and that does seem too low, so waiting to hear more from Mel.

Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 09:01 PM
hi guys
i just read chris's response and it sounds like it starts at current grade level- but for both my kids it started on the subtraction lesson which is 1.6. My DD5 is going into K and MY DD7 is going into 2nd . So I don't get how that correlates to grade-i hope it is doing both of them as individuals..not at same child.. I can manually adjust, but not sure how to know what % they are getting. Maybe i am missing some parent help links or something.
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/07/09 09:21 PM
I have not started, but I placed DS7s grade level of work, not his actual grade level. I will know more on Monday when we start. I am still at Boy Scout Camp this week. No phones, but I do have internet, very differet.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/08/09 11:21 PM
Renie, I figured out how to adjust now, too.

I found the summary and reports - if you go to the 'start course' page, but don't click on 'Run Course', there are other links, though not too obvious. Click on the date of last session for a course and you get to the reports, and other info.
Posted By: questions Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/09/09 02:38 AM
I can manually adjust
and
I figured out how to adjust now, too.

How do you do this? I tried changing grade level on profile, but that didn't work. How do you move up a level or part of a level? Can you pick and choose what you do, or do you need to go through everything in order?

I know I'll get some answers next week, but if you already know...

Thanks.
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/09/09 02:47 AM
thanks all

at this point i can see the progress, i really like the calendar which shows how many minutes they did work that day. nice.

the only real issue i have now is that its tough to switch between my two children.. when i re-login with new user name and password it says welcome to the right child's name but the progress and the lessons are for the first child. I am going to fool around more with it. maybe i'm not logging out properly or something. if anyone else has issues with this pls. let me know what you find.

questions, i'm not sure about moving around yet either. My DD7 finished a lesson, and i'm curious what will happen when we go back into it.. will it move him up, or do i chose the one to do next, we'll have to see...

irene
Posted By: questions Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/09/09 02:57 AM
Oh, that part is all automatic. My DS just finished LAW 2-6 on our own, and it just moves up bit by bit. I'd like to pick and choose what gets done in math. Long ago, he did 3rd grade math through CTY (now, they have a dash of color, a bit of music, and Mr. EPGY says "awesome," and "YES!" lol, instead of "correct," "good job," "yes.") At least they're trying to update it. I want to get to all the set theory that we haven't been able to find elsewhere. I'll wait to hear from Melissa.

btw, they told me to always be sure to log off and log out. That will probably help with the two children - although it might be your computer keeping web pages or something.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 01:50 AM
Nevermind about my prior post. We've got her registered.

We did give a brief try with math but it has her enrolled in the 3rd grade math -- I guess based off of age (she'll be a young 4th grader), but I did state that she was in 4th grade when I registered. The math is rather easy, though, and she doesn't like repeatedly doing things she knows (like 15 bar graphs) to show that she can do it and get moved up to a harder level.
Posted By: 4SLee Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 03:17 AM
Hi Mel

Sent PMs, but they may have gotten lost in cyberspace. We are still interested, but have not received the e-mail about how to sign up yet. Please advise! Thanks!

Sharon

4SLee
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by chris1234
Renie, I figured out how to adjust now, too.

I found the summary and reports - if you go to the 'start course' page, but don't click on 'Run Course', there are other links, though not too obvious. Click on the date of last session for a course and you get to the reports, and other info.

I've figured out how to get into the reports as well and dd did get 100% on the math problems that she did last night. It does seem to have moved her up very slowly automatically in those areas where she has done problems (level 3.52 rather than 3.5 in the areas where she hasn't been presented any problems yet, for instance).

I do not see how to manually adjust the level up, though. I did go in and change her grade from 4th to 5th (which is not accurate actually) to see if that would move her math settings up from mid-3rd grade, but it did not. I really would like to start her at 4th grade math not 3rd. Does anyone know how to adjust this?
Posted By: questions Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 03:32 PM
I believe Melissa is looking into this. Looks like the program starts half a year behind the grade level. I, also, tried to adjust the grade level, but once the program has been started, it won't move up on its own. Ideally, I'd like to know how to skip forward, as the program moves very slowly and is surprisingly repetitive, or at least that was our experience a couple of years ago with third grade math.
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 05:45 PM
My son if working on EPGY math now, although not yet through this open enrollment program. Those bar graphs are repetitive but I really don't think much else is repetitive in the third grade (my son is at 3.5) if the math level isn't too easy for your child. I definitely think repetitiveness is a sign that it is too easy. EPGY is set up to do about 4 problems in an area. If your child gets them all right, it skips to the next area. If he misses one, then you get a bunch more problems. I often warn my son to be careful or else he'll get a bunch of repetitive problems.

When we started this summer, my son was at 2.0. Way too easy. After a weekend, they adjusted it to 2.5. He no longer complained about it being easy. Now at 3.5, he doesn't breeze through it anymore. He actually has to think and work through it. He will not move through the 3rd grade as quickly as he did the 2nd. I think it is just a better placement although I do not regret doing the end of 2nd grade. EPGY covers some algebra and geometry concepts that my son has never seen before.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 06:23 PM
That's good to know. The bar graphs seem to have done four of one kind, then four of another, then another bunch or two that were similar but slightly different. I did check and she's gotten 100% on everything she's done so far, so I don't think that the repetitiveness is due to her missing problems. The work is just too easy right now and she has limited patience for doing even four or eight problems that take time and are not teaching her anything new. Then again, she also gets rather upset if she doesn't know the material so the problem may be with the kid wink!
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 07:43 PM
If it is just too easy, have her moved up. That's the whole point with teaching her yourself.

Although my son also got the graphs correct, it was not super easy for him. To click on something 15 times and to read a small graph accurately without making a mistake can be difficult for him. I was guessing that the graphs were testing for that. I actually think the EPGY is helping my so with his carelessness because he realizes that missing a question slows down his progress. Then he can't get to something novel. So, he is learning to check his work.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wei-I
If it is just too easy, have her moved up. That's the whole point with teaching her yourself.
That's the problem. I don't know how to get her moved up other than to have her continue to complete the 3rd grade material and show that she can do it so they move her up to her current grade. There doesn't seem to be an option for setting it to 4th grade or anything above 3rd grade. The grades higher than 3rd are shadowed such that you can't click on them. I could, however, set her for a lower grade although I don't want to do that either.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/10/09 11:35 PM
Hi Cricket, I can take a quick look and tell you what page exactly I was on, see if it's the same one you are trying to change the grade on.

Ok, I was here, but afraid last time I just saw the list of grades but didn't actually change any, and now I am not sure this will work.
Click on the date next to a course. Click on view report.
Click on concepts summary. Click on any concept areas your child has already started on, these will be shown in black, a pop up comes up. There is a place to change grade and/or concepts. I think if they proceed on this screen and answer all questions in a section correctly they may get bumped up.(based on some of the other posts here)
For instance if they are in 3rd, and you select 5th grade on this screen and they get them right, I am hoping this will move them up.
If someone has more info on this, please post while we wait for a bit more info from Melissa.

Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 01:28 AM
Thanks. I tried this briefly and will get back to it later when dd is less tired and more up for doing a reasonable length session. That is the screen where I can click on the drag down menu of grades, but all grades above 3rd are shadowed out and cannot be selected. I can have her do all of the problems for grade 3 for those concepts she's started and see if that gets her to grade 4, though.
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 01:28 AM
I'm not sure how to move it up. I was and still am using the expensive version of the program where you get a TA and tech support. They just moved him up for me. Also, they didn't even hesitate to think that he needed to be moved up. So it must happen all the time and we should definitely figure it out.

I do know how to answer those draw a segment, draw a line geometry questions, if anyone finds that they need help on that later.

Wei-I
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 02:14 PM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to post and let you know that we are all in the same situation. My DD is signed in for 4.5 when she is in 6th. The program automatically starts everyone a half a year behind based on age, like mentioned, to make sure there aren't any missed concepts. As to changing grade levels:

I have tried to contact EPGY repeatedly in the last week. Marie is in Vancouver at a conference and unavailable until Monday August 17th. I am scheduled for a webinar on the 20th of August to learn how to run the program. I received a call back from someone else at EPGY yesterday and they only gave me the same message.

Once Chris and I get the training from EPGY, changing the grade levels and material covered is supposed to be point and click simple but is done on our end, not in a screen you will have access to. It will require you to email one of us and we will adjust it, like Wei-l mentioned above with the EPGY tech support.

I am very sorry for the delay. Had I realized this would be a problem for so many of us I would have waited to send out the emails with registration information, and would have waited another paycheck to enroll myself.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 02:24 PM
I also wanted to add that I am still trying to get a hold of someone else at EPGY while Marie is gone to see if this can be resolved any sooner.
Posted By: crisc Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 02:31 PM
Thanks Melissa for checking on this. I haven't even had DS6 start yet since I know he wouldn't be interested for long at the 1.6 level.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 02:32 PM
Thanks Melissa. I appreciate all of the volunteer time that you are putting into getting this to work well for all of us.
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 02:52 PM
hi melissa
i started by DD5 accidentally at 2nd grade level (her brothers grade), so it started her at 1.6.. she is not even in K yet.. but she did do great on the first lesson (85%). But i'd like to backtrack and see the names of the K lessons to make sure she knows the concepts. But i only see first grade lessons.. thinking maybe there are no real K lessons as this is for gifted? not sure. Also, do you know if the curriculum is spiraling (repeats concepts but in greater detail every so often)?
thanks, and this is a wonderful tool!
irene
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in group? - 08/11/09 03:03 PM
is anyone doing the EPGY now? i am having trouble getting past, Welcome (childs name)!.. the link to get to lessons seems to be not working .. have tried several times.. hoping just a momentary glitch.
irene
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in group? - 08/11/09 03:06 PM
NEVERMIND! mY GOOF!
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 03:08 PM
To see more about the concepts covered please go here.

http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/M0WA/index.html and click on the grade.

I agree that it pretty much starts at 1st from what I can see but begins with a review of basic K concepts when I compared it to my Singapore Math books. Hope that helps! The recommendation is that 80% correct is a good place to shoot for as far as level goes. 50% and less you would want to move her down.
Posted By: CrystalPalace Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 03:21 PM
I followed chris1234 instructions on looking up previous grade material. However, somehow I did not find the 'set' concept under grade 1. i.e. Which is a set?, Empty set, Equal sets, Union of Sets. Neither under Grade 2 for: Finding sets of numbers satisfying two inequalities, Set notation for finding sets .e.t.c.

In short, I did not find the Set Concept under grade 1 or 2. Can anyone assist me in locating this topic? I presume that the Lesson Contents are completely covered in the program.
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 04:07 PM
My son did sets at the beginning of Grade 3. Empty sets, subsets, adding sets.... etc.

I realize that EPGY is recommending getting 80% correct. Having worked on it, I actually think that is too low, at least for my son. At what seems to be an accurate placement, he scores about 90% overall. Higher in some areas, lower in others. To pass their final, you have to get 85% (I think. If not, 80%) . The student effectively gets two chances at answering the question, so at the first attempt 80% makes sense. But at the second time around, I think it needs to be higher. On the calendar/sessions area, you can replay the sessions and see how what percent your child is getting on the first and second attempt.
Posted By: Another Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 06:28 PM
Incidentally, we are also using the expensive version currently at Grade 3.5x. The "Set" concept is formally introduced in Grade 3, but informally in the lower grades as "Counting in Groups". The titles of the concepts are somewhat overkill for the actual materials introduced in the lower grades. Our experience with the questions is that either you know how to work out the answers or you don't. There are essentially no tricky questions at all. So the progress is like a period of near 100 %, until the next unfamiliar concept; and then after mastery, another period of near 100 %, and so forth; in particular, since the program allows 2 attempts for each question, careless wrong answers are reduced to almost zero. We find that the learning process is more efficient to complement the program with some offline tutoring on the unfamiliar concepts. Overall, the breadth of the concepts introduced is richer than other sources that we have encountered.

Thanks Melissa and Chris for their effort and time in volunteering for the SSA.
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/11/09 09:31 PM
So far, not bad. Yesterday was our first day. Took some time to get our home computer to work, but figured it out. In filling out DS7s info I used grade 4 and age 7. The program started at 3.5. It is somewhat easy but a good start for understanding the program and how it works. We will keep moving forward, and see how it goes.

DS now 7, hasn't done any math since being out for the summer. He forgot his multiplcation table's. The math race is bothering him a little. I like it as a review tool, he likes the game, he is just upset that he can't remember.
Posted By: crisc Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 12:15 AM
We also did our first session tonight. I wish I had known that I should have not put DS6 at only grade 2. He started at level 1.5 and told me it was "too easy". He got 100% in his 20 minute session. I think I might wait until I can move him up a few levels before I have him do anymore.

Also the language arts says LAW1 but when we run the course it is asking him to take a 6th grade test. Just guessing he did get a few right but he definitely needs to be at level 1 or 2 for this...
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 01:45 AM
edwin,
how did you get to the math race? I did not see it anywhere, but it would be a good tool for my DD7.
irene
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 02:31 AM
Math race comes up for us every time dd clicks on run program for the math class. She has to do it before she can get into the math questions with the automated voice. What grade level math is your dd doing at this point? I wonder if it is something that only comes up at certain grade levels. My dd is currently set for mid 3rd grade although I'd like to move her up a bit.
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 04:48 PM
I belive the math race is for 3rd grade and above. DS7 worked on it last night for about 2hrs. I am still having some computer problems, Lock ups, partial page downloads. I am pretty sure its on my end. Too much junk in our computers. DS7 likes the program, he understands how it works. By the end of the week I may stop monitoring. Some of the math, espesially the part on Sets is new to him. I also like the way they break down word problems.
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 05:08 PM
Math races also occur at the 2nd grade level. At 2nd grade, it is addition and subtraction. My son is in the middle of 3rd grade math, but still stuck around 2.65 in the math races.

Unfortunately, my son is not completely self-sufficient on EPGY. I often do a piano lesson or something else with my little one, while my son in doing EPGY. He calls me if he has a problem either with something he doesn't understand or with something on the computer. It is still the most efficient way of teaching math. The program is engaging. My son loves it. And, it teaches abstract and difficult concepts.

Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 08:58 PM
hi melissa,
I am currently getting a message when we run the math program:

G1.590E1 Geometry Construction Exercise is running in a separate window

however there is no separate window, and we're forced to quit the session.

I feel this may be a bug.. was wondering how you'd like to get contacted with this type of stuff (or if i should contact them directly). let me know.
irene
Posted By: questions Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 09:34 PM
irene - those are pop-ups. You have to allow pop-ups. Look at your toolbar or go to internet options.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 09:47 PM
Just so everyone understands - all tech support or problems with the EPGY open enrollment must go through myself or chris123. Anything we can't answer we will contact EPGY to resolve. The only problem right now is that until training is done we can't DO anything. The catch 22.

The best way to make sure we get your requests is to email us directly at the email you see when you log in on the EPGY website. With all the time involved in this right now and the beginning of my new school year I am not able to check in on this board as often as I usually do. I am trying to check my emails regularly.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/12/09 09:54 PM
irene

Did you certify your computer on the EPGY website? If so did it pass all areas? This is the biggest problem with tech support and the first thing everyone should do if they haven't already. Please refer to the bottom of this link for information on how to certify your computer and how to view reports.

http://epgy.stanford.edu/district/seminars.html

This is a good reminder for everyone to please review these links, they contain much needed information for the program.
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/13/09 02:25 PM
hi melissa
i wrote you an email with the particulars, but i'm still not able to do any lessons as I can't get by the geomoetry lesson issue. Its not pop-ups, as i have lots of those and they are not blocked.
I am runnign on Firefox. Is anyone else out there having issues with using Firefox browser?
irene
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/13/09 05:09 PM
Hi Renie

I am using both explore, and Firefox. I am having some issues, but I belive then to be issues with our computers. In regards to the geomoetry lesson it took us a lille time to figure out how the controls work.

Example to divide a circle with a line, you must highlight the two points of inetersection with your mouse. Then choose the line from the rigt side of the screen (Not the segment, or you will get the problem wrong) Once you have the line passing through the circle, you then click on the part that says you are finished (I forgot the name of the actual button) It may then ask you to name the line. If you click on the line Q it will add in the information automaticly. Then press enter. We had to do it wrong a few times until we understood how the program worked. If this is what you needed, I hope it helps. If it is some orther issue, I propably would be of no help. Best of Luck

Edwin
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/14/09 12:48 AM
hi edwin,
thanks for trying to help, but i'm not seeing the geometry lesson at all. It just says its loaded in another window. but nothing is loaded in another window. Can you tell if its a pop-up or what? any clues about how it works would be helpful. I am a programmer and i'm ussually good at figuring this stuff out but this has me stumped and i can not move past it (can't load another lesson).
thanks
irene
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/14/09 03:08 AM
Does anyone know how fast your DC can progress through a level at 100%? Like many of you, the starting level for my DS is too low because he is at 97% (with most errors occuring b/c of learning to use the computer mouse). It seems that within a few sessions, he's progressed 0.5 yrs. Does that seem reasonable?

Frankly, he's having fun and still learning to use the computer (he's never used one before 'cuz I'm a weird mom) so I'm not too concerned about the level unless he'll be stuck here for months.

Yes, I'm also aware that Melissa and Chris will be able to manually change the level next week. Just wondering if it is worth it . . .

P.S. Thanks to Melissa and Chris for serving as our admins!!!!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/14/09 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Edwin
Example to divide a circle with a line, you must highlight the two points of inetersection with your mouse. Then choose the line from the rigt side of the screen (Not the segment, or you will get the problem wrong) Once you have the line passing through the circle, you then click on the part that says you are finished (I forgot the name of the actual button) It may then ask you to name the line. If you click on the line Q it will add in the information automaticly. Then press enter. We had to do it wrong a few times until we understood how the program worked. If this is what you needed, I hope it helps. If it is some orther issue, I propably would be of no help. Best of Luck

Edwin

Thanks! Ds got two similar questions wrong because this part isn't very intuitive, good to know how to do these now.

Sittin Pretty - from everything I've read, it does take a while for a child to move up, and probably in most cases would be worth moving up manually so a child doesn't get uninterested in the program. I hope we do get the training asap, since my ds is 'stuck' too. smile
We are taking this week to do some multiplication fact review since he seems to have forgotten a bunch of that...so back to 'timezattack' for a bit (guess the totally non-academic summer so far/video games did turn his brain to mush!)

Renie - we had a similar issue while using Google Chrome browser, so I just switched to the IE which I already have installed. The popup was visible after I allowed them, but the drop and drag functionality was not working.

If you switch to IE you may still have to 'allow' popups.
If you know how to do this, please make sure they're allowed...or you can PM me about your particular browser and we can see if we can get it figured out together. Or at least it'll be a good question for when mel and I take this web-training. smile

Originally Posted by sittin pretty
P.S. Thanks to Melissa and Chris for serving as our admins!!!!
You're welcome!! And thanks to all others chiming in with helpful hints too smile
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/14/09 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by sittin pretty
Does anyone know how fast your DC can progress through a level at 100%? Like many of you, the starting level for my DS is too low because he is at 97% (with most errors occuring b/c of learning to use the computer mouse). It seems that within a few sessions, he's progressed 0.5 yrs. Does that seem reasonable?
Dd, who will be 9 in a month and a half, was started at level 3.5. She'll be starting 4th grade next week (at school). She has done a few sessions and it seems to be moving painfully slow on moving her up despite her having gotten 100% on virtually everything. For instance, she has done 44 "integers" problems and has gotten all of them right -- 100% on that whole section. The integers section has only moved her up to level 3.53.

Her math levels are currently running at:
Number Sense: Integers 3.53 100 % ( 44 / 44 )
Number sense: decimals & fractions 3.52 100 % ( 4 / 4 )
Geometry 3.50 N/A ( 0 / 0 )
Logic and Reasoning 3.50 N/A ( 0 / 0 )
Measurement 3.52 77 % ( 7 / 9 )
Data/Statistics/Probability 3.50 100 % ( 9 / 9 )

She messed up two of the algebra sentences ones on the measurement area, but that one is still set higher than data, for which she has 100% on the same # of questions, so I'm not quite sure how it is making decisions here.

So, overall, she's at 96% correct -- similar to your 97%. I'm glad to see that yours is moving up faster, but .03 grade level increase off of 44 questions correct is too slow for us.
Posted By: Wei-I Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/14/09 05:44 PM
The integer section is, by far, the most extensive section. Having started at 2.5, you can see from below that most of the questions are integers.

Number Sense: Integers 3.56 97 % ( 757 / 780 )
Number Sense: Decimals and Fractions 3.60 93 % ( 123 / 131 )
Geometry 3.56 85 % ( 188 / 221 )
Logic and Reasoning 3.56 91 % ( 157 / 172 )
Measurement 3.60 91 % ( 144 / 157 )
Data/Statistics/Probability 3.63 92 % ( 94 / 102 )

If you think it is too slow, it probably is for your DD and your placement isn't accurate. For my DS, he hasn't had that much exposure to the 3.5 integer questions and, even though he is getting them correct, he needs the practice. So, I'm not too concerned that it's moving slowing.

By the way, the 2nd grade accelerated much faster. I wonder do they have more questions with every grade level.

Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/14/09 06:59 PM
Wow, you're kiddo has been busy! I'm going to have to get dd to do more problems if we want to move her up it appears. The biggest issue that we've had is that she knows everything they've introduced so far and her patience for doing the work has been slim. The one area where she missed those two questions was due to inattentiveness and just clicking on something quickly to get it to move on.

We do certainly need to work on paying attn, though, and being more patient.
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/14/09 07:42 PM
Although the pace currently is a little slow, DS7 has stuck with it. Time of use about 361 minutes, and has moved from 3.5 to 3.9. Note this is not at 100%, more like 95%. He has completed 646 exersices He misses some, mostly careless, or not understanding what is being asked. Much of the set problems are new, Union, Intersection, etc.. Its easy but the terms are new.He should be doing 4th next week. So far he is ok with it, I am sure that it will get more dificult. I did like the beging of proofs part. Good foundation stuff. His motavation has been equal video time for math and reading time. I know some may disagree with it, self motavation and all, but it seems to work.

Adding some more info
DS7 has the following still to do
Measurment 8 Lessons
Logic 8 Lessons
Fractions 2 Lessons
Geometry 5 Lessons
Integers 26 Lessons
Statistics 1 Lesson

Assuming 5 problems per lesson (Big Assumtion)
260 more problems, about 2-3 more hours.

I know this is not apples to apples comparisons, but it may be of help for thouse looking at the work still left to do.
Posted By: smart100 Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/17/09 08:02 PM
Hi Melissa,
I just found out about this thread.I have been trying to gather enough people for 2 months to start a group.I was wondering if there is more space available for my son to join the open enrollment program through your group.That would be awesome.
Thanks in advance,
sunitha
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/17/09 08:54 PM
Update on number of problems for 3.5 to 4.0. Appox 900 problems.
Posted By: sittin pretty Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/17/09 09:02 PM
Holy cow! K (0.0) to 1st (1.0) was only around 400 problems.
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/17/09 09:28 PM
DS7 thinks he will do 4.0 to 5.0 in the three weeks before school starts. Looks like he may have over 2,000 problems. I don't think he will make it. He is still motavated so far. I am little worried about his school. They have agreed to start him in 4th grade math, and look at an online option. Hopefully we are doing the correct thing.
Posted By: questions Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/17/09 10:32 PM
fyi, EPGY LAW 3-6 was well over 3,000 exercises. As I recall, I think EPGY grade 3 math was over 2,000 problems.
Posted By: questions Re: Interested in EPGY group? - 08/17/09 10:37 PM
Hi, Edwin,

I've got to think your son will be pretty miserable in school if they start him at grade 4 math when he's already finished grade 4 EPGY math. It's sort of giving them a curve ball. Will they just reevaluate and place him appropriately? Or allow him to continue with EPGY as the online course you mentioned, as he seems to love it so much? It would be nice if they continue to accommodate him - after all, a lot of the difference is pace, as opposed to knowledge. Hopefully, they'll let him continue at his apparent lightning speed. I wish my DS loved math the way yours seems to, lol!

Good luck!
Posted By: renie1 Re: Interested in group? - 08/18/09 05:15 PM
chris and melissa,
i just wanted to let you know that i switched from Firefox to Safari and the certification went thru without a hitch. since i'm sure you have enough to do, you can cross me and my problem off your list!
irene
Posted By: Edwin Re: Interested in group? - 08/18/09 05:26 PM
Hi Questions

That is the crux of our concern. The good (and bad) thing is that DS7 is a go with the flow boy. He will like being moved to 4th for math, even if he already knows it. I hope they will evalute him within the first month and allow the EPGY program for school. However I still need to help him with the course at this time. I am hoping by next week that he can do 80% by himself. I am still helping him with some of the instructions. He likes math, but he likes it most when we do it together.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Interested in group? - 08/18/09 08:15 PM
Hey renie1, thanks for letting us know, glad to hear it is working better!...I am out of town this week but checking in here and there.
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Interested in group? - 08/20/09 05:27 PM
I want to direct everyone to the new thread with program information. smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum