Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: indigo Computer Programming - Coding - for kids - 09/04/19 01:26 PM
Kodable recently came to my attention and I thought I would share these links here:
- Kodable - Parents' page
- Kodable - about

To avoid being an 'ad,' I'm linking to other discussion threads which have also mentioned coding resources:
- Python (July 2018)
- toys and games for gifted (June 2018) - mentions coding aspect of Minecraft
- Computer Programming and YouTuber? (March 2017)
- Entry to computer ownership, coding, hacking (March 2017)

I'm sure there are others, but this is a start...
smile
I want to reiterate just how huge Python is right now. There has been an explosive proliferation in its usage across many industries. In particular, Data Science (with R) and Machine Learning areas have many libraries out there written in Python.

Kids proficient in these skills will earn multiples more during summer jobs than they would interning, stacking shelves or mowing lawns potentially.
Originally Posted by madeinuk
I want to reiterate just how huge Python is right now. There has been an explosive proliferation in its usage across many industries. In particular, Data Science (with R) and Machine Learning areas have many libraries out there written in Python.

Kids proficient in these skills will earn multiples more during summer jobs than they would interning, stacking shelves or mowing lawns potentially.
Not where we live, I can say from the first-hand experience of my son, who gets minimum wage as a programmer for a local private school that offers programming classes. They know that in well-off areas, kids are working more to improve their college resume than to earn money. They will write him a recommendation, though, and I hope that will carry weight in applications to competitive computer science programs.
Posted By: Wren Re: Computer Programming - Coding - for kids - 09/07/19 05:10 PM
I am surprised Bostonian since my kid's computer club has been all about Python for the last few years. Not sure about her class since it is AP based.
I am pushing for a database workshops for them. They don't learn about databases.
Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by madeinuk

Not where we live, I can say from the first-hand experience of my son, who gets minimum wage as a programmer for a local private school that offers programming classes. They know that in well-off areas, kids are working more to improve their college resume than to earn money. They will write him a recommendation, though, and I hope that will carry weight in applications to competitive computer science programs.

Great point, I was a bit vague on that - I suppose that I was thinking of college kids being the people who would would benefit from this. I hadn't considered schoolkids.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum