Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: VR00 Fiction Book recommendations for kid - 01/23/17 04:40 AM
My DS8 seems to love to read esoteric non-fiction material with a scientific bend ranging from technical manuals to weather forecasting. I am trying to get him to read fiction without much success. Any recommendation on books he might like? Science-fiction? Any recommendations?
Posted By: indigo Re: Fiction Book recommendations for kid - 01/23/17 11:04 PM
You've probably already seen the thread on Book recommendations: age 6-8?

From time to ElizabethN updates this post on the recommended book thread, summarizing and categorizing all 8 pages of recommendations. About midway through the post, there is a category described as "Non-fiction(ish): This list includes stories that are technically fiction, but their primary purpose is to teach instead of to tell a story."

Other than that list, for a kid who seems to enjoy reading facts I would recommend National Geographic magazine... (or the kids' version)... while not fiction, the content is rich in information and flows like a story... imparting a sense of grammar which the writing in a technical manual would not. (Caution - preread to determine whether content of each issue is suitable for your child.)

Also any of the DK books or Smithsonian books... while not fiction, they are full of fun facts and useful information... great illustrations, too.

Free online book selection databases include:
- Lexile Find-A-Book,
- Scholastic book wizard,
- Every Good Book (does not include Lexile Level... choose from broad reading level bands: Elementary, Middle School, Secondary/Adult).

Lists of great kids' books:
- American Library Association (ALA) - Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) - Caldecott Award winners
- ALA - ALSC Newberry Award winners
- ALA - ALSC Notable Children's Books
Posted By: Saritz Re: Fiction Book recommendations for kid - 01/24/17 02:39 AM
My DS's loved Jurassic Park. It's an adult book, and a little scary, but no inappropriate "relationship" type stuff. They are 11 and 9.
Posted By: Cookie Re: Fiction Book recommendations for kid - 01/24/17 03:01 AM
George's secret key to the universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking.

https://www.amazon.com/Georges-Secret-Universe-Stephen-Hawking/dp/1416985840

There are actually three books....weaves a fiction story with science.

Depending on age....magic school bus books do the same thing (picture and chapter books). I hated magic tree house but loved time warp trio...also great for those loving non fiction weaved into fiction.
Posted By: VR00 Re: Fiction Book recommendations for kid - 01/27/17 06:33 PM
Sorry for the delayed response. I was called away on a business trip. Thank you for the feedback indigo, Sartiz and Cookie!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum