Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: lmb123 Resources in Teaching Figurative Speech? - 11/04/15 09:56 PM
I am looking for suggestions of fun materials to introduce DS7 to the different types of figurative speech. I'm trying to keep it fun. TIA!
Posted By: indigo Re: Resources in Teaching Figurative Speech? - 11/04/15 10:46 PM
There are several books by Susan Hall on Using Picture Storybooks to Teach Literary Devices.

Has your son every read Amelia Bedelia books? Amelia Bedelia takes language very literally and ends up in many hilarious situations.

They are early readers so if you have a gifted reader you might have jumped over reading these particular books. But they are written with the kind of humor a 6-7 year likes and might make a good resource.
Posted By: lmb123 Re: Resources in Teaching Figurative Speech? - 11/05/15 12:20 AM
blue magic - he read Amelia Bedelia a couple of years back and did think it was quite funny smile
indigo - that's exactly what I was looking for. Our library has it and I just put it on hold.

Thank you both!

Posted By: Cookie Re: Resources in Teaching Figurative Speech? - 11/08/15 11:52 AM
My kids also enjoyed several different books on idioms. Most of the list the idiom, use it in a situation, explain it, then give a history of how that expression evolved.

I think scholastic has one but there are many.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum