Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: JBDad Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/21/08 03:26 PM
DS is getting close to being done with Flat Stanley and unfortunately there aren't any more in the series. He doesn't yet seem to be too interested in Treehouse books. I'm looking for other books along the lines of introductory chapter books. He really liked the adventures Stanley had.

Thanks in advance.

JB
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/21/08 03:56 PM
The Enormous Egg http://www.amazon.com/Enormous-Egg-Oliver-Butterworth/dp/0316119202

Oh, and as a Flat Stanley project, DD's class made Flat Stanleys out of paper and mailed them to friends and relatives around the globe. The Stanleys were mailed back with photos of themselves in exotic places smile and the class made a map of all the places Stanley had been.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/21/08 04:59 PM
How about Nate the Great, Encyclopedia Brown, Cam Jansen, Geronimo Stilton, the Frog and Toad series, or Captain Underpants? The Time Warp Trio is fun too but they may be a higher level than what you're looking for.

My kids did the Flat Stanley project too and it was really fun to see where all the Stanley's had been!! smile
Posted By: JBDad Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/21/08 05:01 PM

Great suggestions, thanks. We'll be heading off to the library sometime this weekend, so I'm adding them to our list to check out!

JB
Posted By: squirt Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/21/08 05:36 PM
How about Henry and Mudge? Mine enjoyed those for a short while. And, the Magic School Bus and A to Z mysteries. Pud does not like the Magic Treehouse books because they are "too scary" but he loves Time Warp Trio books.

(He also thought that Curious George TV show was too scary. I think he's over that now.)
Posted By: JBDad Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/21/08 06:35 PM
LOL!

JB
Posted By: kimck Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/21/08 08:45 PM
I am a big fan of Geronimo Stilton as a bridge from short/easy chapter books to longer ones! They really seemed like a big launching pad for DS7. He's not a big fan of formulaic series, but these kept him interested! I think they are at about 3rd grade level?
Posted By: ebeth Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/22/08 09:13 PM
DS fell completely in love with the Dragon Slayer's Academy books by Kate McMullan a few years ago. They are like a young version of Harry Potter, except that they are very, very silly. (side splitting sense of humor). A young boy goes off to dragon slayer's school and becomes best friends with another boy and a girl (who has to hide the fact that she is a girl because girls are not allowed to be dragon slayers!). There is nothing frightening or scary about these books... in the first book, they end up "slaying the dragon" by telling it horrible jokes until it kneels over. In one of the books, they rescue a dragon egg and try to raise it (even though they are suppose to be learning how to slay dragons). And there is a funny wizard who is so inept that his spells go completely wrong all the time... with hilarious consequences. I think there are about 19 books in the series. Here is a link on Amazon, so you know what to look for in the library.
http://www.amazon.com/New-School-Dr...mp;s=books&qid=1214168480&sr=8-1

Posted By: elh0706 Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/24/08 04:58 PM
A-Z Mysteries, and I strongly second the Henry and Mudge, Magic School Bus and Geronimo Stilton smile

Posted By: Lorel Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/24/08 11:39 PM
Great suggestions here, and I also want to to the list: Fluffy the Guinea Pig. These are really silly early chapter books about a class pet who has a wild imagination. The author is Kate MacMillan. Good for girls and boys both.
Posted By: Lorel Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/24/08 11:39 PM
And did anyone mention Cam Jansen?
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/24/08 11:41 PM
I second Fluffy and Cam Jansen! Great suggestions Lorel!!! Fluffy is too cute - we own several of them - and we own a ton of Cam Jansen books too. I have 2 boys and they love both of these series. smile
Posted By: squirt Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/25/08 01:13 AM
Try hard to stay away from Junie B. Jones. They're awful but kids love them. Mine hadn't read them until he went to public school and the teacher read them to the class (1st grade). She thought they were "educational" because one was about Christopher Columbus. I try to steer mine away from them but sometimes he digs in his heels. It's not worth a battle, but I'd prefer he read something else.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/27/08 09:41 AM
Captain Underpants - yes there is some misspelling in the comic portions, however they are really strong on imagination and problem solving!

Frannie K. Stein, Little Girl Mad Scientist - My boy loves these, she is not too girly, it's mostly icky science fun.

Calvin and Hobbes collections- Fantastic level of vocab., for kids who love to figure out big words. Can be put down and picked up anytime. My son practically wears his Calvin and Hobbes books. And they are of course hilarious even for adults.

For more advanced reading level, but still a large serving of silliness: the Wimpy Kid books. There are only 2 in the series so far, but more are planned.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 06/27/08 09:43 AM
Couple more:
It's raining pigs and noodles - poetry collection by Jack Prelutsky
Anything Roald Dahl - for the more advanced reader...
Posted By: fitzi Re: Suggestions for after Flat Stanley? - 07/07/08 06:03 PM
I also second (third?) A-Z Mysteries and Magic Schoolbus (the books, not the videos, which I would not recommend). Our son has also liked the E. B. White Classics - Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, and Trumpet of the Swan, though we help him with them a lot. They make great listening for long rides in the car. Also, as a listener, Harriet the Spy.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum