Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Bastis GT and Sensory Integration/IM Therapy - 02/22/06 12:38 PM
I would like to know if any other G/T parents have used the Interactive Metronome therapy for their children with sensory integration. I came across it while doing some research on Math Fluency. My daughter's WJIII scores are all advanced for her age except for the math fluency score. She had previously been in OT for about a year an a half, and her Occupational Therapist said it was worth having her evaluated.

Anyone else have experience with this?
Thanks!
Posted By: Grinity Re: GT and Sensory Integration/IM Therapy - 03/02/06 05:01 PM
You've stumpted me here. My son got a lot out of his work with an OT on SID which was probably normal gifted oversentitivities, but we didn't know.
Posted By: sdbuddy Re: GT and Sensory Integration/IM Therapy - 03/10/06 04:35 PM
I am familiar with the IM program. It really seems to help some children with focus and attention. Related to that is something I read recently (cannot remember where) about research someplace relative to gum chewing during math testing. It seems to be the rhythm that makes the difference. Apparently, gum chewers chew at the right rhythm to mimic their own processing speed for math.

I know that when my daughter did Vision Therapy, there were lots of rhythm related activities. She till uses some of the "tricks" for math, as well.

Susan in Reno
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum