Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: acgoldis Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 03/01/21 02:17 PM
Hi!

Do you know any good resources for 2e adults in the Boston area? I have an IQ of around 144 but everyone is convinced I have mild ASD (Asperger's in the old parlance) or HSP issues.

I went to a couple of AANE events a long time ago but they seemed geared more to people who were less functional.

I live independently and have been working as a software engineer at the same company for almost 21 years.

Thanks!
Posted By: aeh Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 03/10/21 01:15 AM
Welcome!

What sort of resources were you looking for? Some functions may be addressed through avenues not identified as for any exceptionality.
Posted By: acgoldis Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 04/10/21 04:19 PM
Ways for me to overcome imposter syndrome and my sense of being flawed and broken (because my parents harped on my differences and forced me to conform to make then look good). I also want to meet other gifted adults so I can rejoin my tribe.

MIT was wonderful in this regard but I graduated in 1994.

Posted By: acgoldis Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 04/11/21 10:25 PM
I wanted places where I can meet other gifted people (Mensa wasn't impressive) and have deep conversations with them. I also want to learn how to be more confident and take advantage of my gifts.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 04/11/21 10:35 PM
University community events, professional discussion groups, non-profit research partnerships -all viable options.
Posted By: aeh Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 04/12/21 12:35 AM
You may also consider thinking about your passions and values, and finding people who share them. Even if they are not exactly intellectual peers, at least there will be commonalities, which is one place to start from, and in the course of pursuing interests about which you care deeply, I suspect you will be more likely to encounter people with whom you connect on other levels as well.

And I would echo aquinas's suggestions: you are in Boston, which is particularly rich in universities, almost all of which host lectures open to the public which are highly likely to attract some people with whom you might find common ground. Obviously, MIT and Harvard are there, but many of the other universities, hospitals, research institutes, museums, and professional societies also host community events (mostly virtual, right now, naturally) that may interest both you and people with whom you would connect.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 04/12/21 01:01 AM
I should add - charity. The evidence is clear that meaning from giving to others is fulfilling and a terrific way to build relationships with like-minded people.
Posted By: acgoldis Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 04/12/21 01:48 PM
I'm eligible for the Harvard Club as an MIT graduate, and the events I've been to seem VERY interesting and I can relate to the people. The problem is they have no individual membership, only family membership, and that costs $3750 a year or so -- plus a $3750 initiation fee.

MIT has a club as well except it doesn't do much.

As for charity, I just joined Upchieve to tutor inner city math. I managed to pass all the tests to teach everything up to calculus other than geometry...without reviewing materials I had last used 30 years ago.
Posted By: MuddlePuddle Re: Resources for 2e adults in Boston - 10/26/21 05:27 AM
I love MIT folks. If you're up for an unconventional environment, look into pika's living co-ops. They have ones for graduates.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum