Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Dbat Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/15/14 01:31 PM
DD10 needs help understanding non-verbal (as well as verbal) cues and I'm looking for any resources that might be out there to help an Aspie-ish kid get clued in. She's kind and affectionate, but for example does not always understand when she is annoying someone (unless they say so very clearly). The Davidson people had suggested working through Cathi Cohen's "Raise Your Child's Social IQ," and we're going to do that at home, but it would be nice to also try other things because I think the more directions we come from the more likely something is to click with her. We've tried social skills groups; one was useful but the psychologist leading it moved away, and the last two have been disasters--the first was all boys and seemed to have little or no supervision, and the second was girls but the group leader kept getting mad and yelling at her and DD would be in tears at the end--so, not very helpful, and we stopped going. If anyone has other ideas, I would love to hear them.
Posted By: indigo Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/15/14 03:41 PM
There are lots of good resources at Prufrock Press, Great Potential Press, free spirit publishing, Magination Press.

One new book from 2013 is Asperkids Secret Book of Social Rules (http://www.amazon.com/Asperkids-Secret-Book-Social-Rules/dp/1849059152)

From 2011: Social Rules For Kids - Top 100 Social Rules Kids Need to Succeed (http://www.amazon.com/Social-Rules-Kids-The-Kids-Succeed/dp/1934575844)
Posted By: Dbat Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/15/14 03:51 PM
Thanks, indigo!! I will definitely get these. smile
Posted By: maisey Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/15/14 04:20 PM
Thesocialexpress.com website has a home program. It is a web based program for social cue learning.
Posted By: Dbat Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/16/14 12:19 PM
Thanks, maisey. smile That looks interesting; I'm going to sign DD up for the trial and see how it goes.
Your daughter may be young for this or not inclined to do it, but when my D was in middle school she realized she was having trouble with this. So she spent time on the computer looking at YouTube videos of people showing different emotions and trying to parse them. I think she both wanted to understand what various emotions "looked" like, and also practice showing them herself. She didn't tell me she had done this until a few years later, but I thought it was a really creative approach she designed for herself to work on this issue.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/16/14 02:17 PM
This is great stuff- thanks to all that have shared!
Posted By: indigo Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/16/14 02:57 PM
... looking at YouTube videos...
This reminds me of people-watching... opportunities may be presented IRL every day. The keys to success may be remaining unobtrusive, not staring, and discretely not drawing attention to parent/child whilst doing this. Above all, don't point! crazy Life provides many educational opportunities if we are open to the teachable moment to observe and discuss body language and facial expression smile
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/16/14 08:05 PM
There is a nice Australian curriculum, don't know if it's easy to get or not, called "secret agent society." Good for this age group.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Resources for teaching non-verbal cues? - 03/17/14 04:25 AM
Hi,
Here are two workbooks that I have, both by Michelle Garcia Winner. I attended one of her workshops and thought it was very helpful.

Social Behavior Mapping
Social Thinking Worksheets for Tweens and Teens (with CD)

Her website is
socialthinking.com

These workbooks can also be found on Amazon.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum