Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: madeinuk This guy thought big about Maths - 04/08/19 10:45 PM
A truly humbling and amazing tale:

Link here

Wilson not knowing how to study really struck a chord with me - I am sure that a lot of very gifted talent gets wasted and withers due to a dearth of effective mentorship and sufficiently challenging education.

Nevertheless George Berzsenyi made a large impact and touched many lives in a very positive way.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: This guy thought big about Maths - 04/09/19 01:12 PM
Thank you for sharing this interesting story. Today, someone who wants to work on challenging math problems could enroll in something like the Year-Round Program of Awesome Math.

Would someone who thinks they have made a mathematical discovery post it to Mathematics Stack Exchange? When I Google a math problem I am often pointed there.
Posted By: indigo Re: This guy thought big about Maths - 04/10/19 12:09 PM
What I value most is that he seemed to create a sense of community among those he mentored, as the article mentioned several of them staying in touch.

I thought it unusual that while many people from the Midwest retire to warmer climates such as Florida, Arizona, or Texas, he and his wife evidently lived in Texas during his career and then retired to Wisconsin?

George Berzsenyi co-authored a math enrichment book... The Contest Problem Book V: American High School Mathematics Examinations (AHSME) / American Invitational Mathematics Examinations (AIME) 1983-1988 (ANNELI LAX NEW MATHEMATICAL LIBRARY) ... still available.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum