Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: wildcat curriculum help!! Please! - 05/21/12 07:43 PM
I need advise for a gifted curriculum for students moving to first grade. These two students are approximately at a third grade and higher ability in reading. My thought is to compact the first and second curriculum and teach the third grade with extensions in writing, reading projects, and critical thinking. This would be a pull-out situation. I am wondering if anyone has had this situation and what did you do?
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: curriculum help!! Please! - 05/22/12 03:29 AM
Are these your children or are you their teacher? Also, if you are their teacher, are you teaching only these two and how much time to you have to devote individually to them if not? I've never had a pull out program (or any other, for that matter) do that much individualization for my kids, but that sounds great if you can do it.

If you are going to compact the 1st & 2nd grade curriculum in most of the core subjects, is there a consideration of grade skipping them to 3rd after they complete 1st, then?

Sorry, I have more questions than answer right now, but I'm sure that we'll have more to offer when we know more what your role is and what the longer term options are!
Posted By: Momma Bear Re: curriculum help!! Please! - 08/16/12 12:42 AM
You may try the Mensa for kids site for suggested reading material. If it's a daily pull, that's what my DS got starting in 1st grade. They did novels and hit the required curriculum that way. I remember the Westing Game was one, although I don't remember if that was 1st or 2nd. His teacher in 3rd had them do literature review, which where awesome.

Good luck!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum