Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: sbclendenen designing a new elementary gifted model - 05/06/12 09:39 PM
My principal recently presented me with a challenge, as our county is currently in limbo in regards to our current elementary school gifted model. SHe has asked me to develop an new model to use in our school, and if she and the leadership team like it, I can lead it! This is an incredibly exciting opportunity, but not one that I take lightly. She already wants to utilize one gifted teacher per grade level and have them pull the gifted kids on that grade level each day for approx. 30 minutes to work on critical/logical thinking activities. Her first thought is to continue our pull-out model, but change the curriculum. In the past 20 years it has been enrichment in random subject areas, such as medieval times, space, etc. None of which match the students' curriculum. My initial thought is to develop units based on each grade level's science and social studies standards and take the kids deeper into them. I could pull them one day per week full day, or two days per week half day. I am wide open to any and all suggestions, as I very much want to do the right thing by these kids! Please help!
Are you tied to the pullout model? Do you also do clustering? Hopefully someone will post some studies, I just have time for a quick response here, but cluster programs (where you put the GT kids in the same classroom) with differentiated instruction throughout the day are more beneficial to kids than sprinkling GT kids over several classrooms.
Originally Posted by sbclendenen
Her first thought is to continue our pull-out model, but change the curriculum. In the past 20 years it has been enrichment in random subject areas, such as medieval times, space, etc. None of which match the students' curriculum. My initial thought is to develop units based on each grade level's science and social studies standards and take the kids deeper into them.

A book that may be relevant is

Comprehensive Curriculum for Gifted Learners, 3/E
Joyce VanTassel-Baska, College of William and Mary
Tamra Stambaugh, College of William and Mary
http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educ...m-for-Gifted-Learners/9780205388653.page

Posted By: Grinity Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 05/07/12 08:54 PM
I would definitely encourage the school to cluster the gifted and highest achieving kids together in one classroom, and then the gifted teacher for that grade level could work with the classroom teacher to differentiate the work.

Ideally there could be crossgrade clustering for the most 'out there' gifted kids.

I'd recommend these books

The Cluster Grouping Handbook: A Schoolwide Model
Book with CD-ROM
$39.99
Susan Winebrenner, M.S., and Dina Brulles, Ph.D.

Teaching Gifted Kids in Today’s Classroom
Book with CD-ROM
$39.99
Susan Winebrenner, M.S., and Dina Brulles, Ph.D.

from FreeSpirit
http://www.freespirit.com/differentiating-instruction/

Good luck!

Grinity

Posted By: 75west Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 05/10/12 06:32 PM
Have you looked into implementing Universal Design for Learning (UDL) or CAST? They're freely available and accessible to all. Here's a faq page for gifted and talented: (http://www.udlcenter.org/advocacy/faq_guides/gifted_talented). Here's another faq page for CAST: (http://www.cast.org/udl/faq/#q2)

UDL is not simply to help students master a specific body of knowledge or a specific set of skills, but to help them master learning itself. It is based on neuroscience and encompasses many fields and is thoroughly researched. There's information on critical thinking on UDL - including checkpoint 7.1 optimizing individual choice and autonomy! (http://www.udlcenter.org/aboutudl/udlguidelines).

Though UDL and CAST are aimed at those with print disabilities and special needs, UDL can help anyone "who plans lessons/units of study or develops curricula (goals, methods, materials, and assessments) to reduce barriers, as well as optimize levels of challenge and support, to meet the needs of all learners from the start. They can also help educators identify the barriers found in existing curricula."

Here's a link to UDL online modules:
http://udlonline.cast.org/home

Details for instructors (i.e. paradigm shift)
http://udlonline.cast.org/tdetails

And CAST online modules (including designing lessons/units)
http://cast.org/learningtools/index.html
Posted By: pa in SC Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 05/13/12 04:32 PM
As a parent/LC, my biggest angst for my son is the lack of differentiation in assessments. Our school uses 90%+ mc assessments, probably because they are quick and easy to grade. My son rarely sees anything in black or white. He will look at every answer option and determine how it can be relevant. And in most cases, he can make a valid argument for multiple responses. A truly effective GT program needs to be a 360 view - including curriculum, materials, discussion, assessments, etc.
The assessment side is where we have seen most attempts fail completely.
Posted By: BeckyZ Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 06/02/12 06:30 PM
They say if you want to train a horse, first you have to be smarter than the horse.
I have to say that I agree with others on here about clustering the gifted students and placing them with the teachers who are trained/certified to teach gifted students. Since your principal's thought is to change the curriculum, have you considered accelerating the students through the curriculum? Especially if these students are clustered together, this would provide a unique and challenging experience for them. You could still take them deeper into science and social studies standards, but what if you accelerated them as they were ready in math and reading? There could be a lot of good integration throughout the curriculum.

I agree that enrichment, even if in random subject areas, is still a great opportunity for these students. My gifted students (4th graders) this year have thoroughly enjoyed learning about World War II (through the lens of Japanese Internment and the Holocaust). This started out as read-alouds during reading workshop, but a number of the kids really developed a strong interests and did a lot of independent research themselves. I think it is crucial that we expose these learners to as many as topics as possible so that their passion for learning continues.

Good luck with this! It sounds like an amazing opportunity, but a daunting one too!
Have you considered googling gifted schools and see what they're offering. Great schools. com also shows parents reviews about what they thought of those gifted if you google the name of a gifted school. You'll see that one gifted school has grown up gifted kids only as teachers, they follow the childrens lead. You'll see by the great schools reviews that this works great for some kids, it works horribly for other kids. You'll see that another gifted school has rigorous work taught by knowledgable teachers. You'll see from the reviews that this works great for some kids and horrible for others. By googling gifted schools and looking at their websites you'll see all the options that anybody thinks is great fir gifted kids. Pick and choose what works for your community.

Hey! it's almost this threads one year old Birthday Party !!!
Posted By: hujeanne Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/24/14 08:47 PM
Why can't you take them into higher level math, reading, science or social studies (depending on their skills and interests) instead of "deeper" in a specific topic? These children, if allowed, learn faster than the average children. It seems that these students are being literally held back from advancing in knowledge while teachers discuss broadening the scope or going deeper into the subject at the same grade level.
Posted By: blackcat Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/26/14 12:51 PM
How many kids are in each grade and how many teachers per grade? How many gifted kids are there per grade?
Posted By: blackcat Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/26/14 03:14 PM
Looks like this thread is really old, which I didn't notice before. I wonder how it turned out.
Posted By: 22B Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/26/14 06:16 PM
sbclendenen (Member #5662)
User
Registered On: 2012-05-06 04:32 PM

The OP never even returned to see the responses.
Posted By: blackcat Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 04:05 AM
When I made my first post on this site, it didn't appear right away so I assumed it wasn't working. I think it took several days for my post to show up. Could have been what happened. She didn't see her post so gave up.
Posted By: Cookie Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 09:11 AM
First posts are moderator approved I believe.
Posted By: 22B Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 09:15 AM
I've sent them a PM to let them know their thread finally got replied to.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 10:51 AM
Instead of a new model, how about a 'retro' model where tracking is implemented, standards are academically rigorous and grades mean something?
Posted By: Kai Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by madeinuk
Instead of a new model, how about a 'retro' model where tracking is implemented, standards are academically rigorous and grades mean something?

Because that wouldn't be inclusive.
Posted By: indigo Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 02:56 PM
It seems that these students are being literally held back from advancing in knowledge while teachers discuss broadening the scope or going deeper into the subject at the same grade level.
Yes, for some topics, a student may wish to move on to higher material. When denied the opportunity and sidelined to broader pursuits to mark time until the rest of the class catches up, these students are being held back from advancing and that is consistent with the "landings" shown in the 3-minute common core video "What Parents Should Know".

On the other hand, for some topics, some students may wish to go deeper into details which may typically be covered with students several years/grades older. (Going "deeper" at the same grade level may be seen as filler, busy work, treading water, marking time, or waiting on a landing.)

Both strategies (moving ahead and going into a topic more deeply/broadly) can be used for the time gained by curriculum compacting, a form of acceleration. Either strategy may be the right "fit" for a particular student, depending upon the circumstances. This Davidson article lists 18 types of acceleration: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10313.aspx.
8. Curriculum Compacting:
The student's instruction entails reduced amounts of introductory activities, drill, and practice. Instructional experiences may also be based on relatively fewer instructional objectives compared to the general curriculum. The time gained may be used for more advanced content instruction or to participate in enrichment activities.
Posted By: indigo Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 04:13 PM
Other threads which may be of interest in designing a new elementary gifted model include: What should everyone know about gifted education?, and List of tips to schools to help gifted students.

Posted By: indigo Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kai
Originally Posted by madeinuk

Because that wouldn't be inclusive.
Tracking had some shortcomings such as presuming a student is at the same relative level in all subjects. A new concept built upon research is Total School Cluster Grouping (TSCG) by Marcia Gentry. This approach has been shown to provide benefits for ALL students.

Other links discussing flexible cluster grouping by readiness and ability include:
http://www.casenex.com/casenet/pages/virtualLibrary/gridlock/groupmyths.html,
http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/reports/rbdm9204/rbdm9204.pdf
Posted By: madeinuk Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 05:15 PM
Tracking had some shortcomings such as presuming a student is at the same relative level in all subjects.

Not if it's done by subject.
Posted By: indigo Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 05:40 PM
Tracking had some shortcomings such as presuming a student is at the same relative level in all subjects.

Not if it's done by subject.
Agreed. Student placement by subject allows flexibility so that a student need not be at the same relative level in all subjects. That said, student placement by subject is often referred to as "ability grouping", rather than "tracking". Having important distinctions in application or practice, it has its own name. Definitions may vary. Despite utilizing different terminology, the ideas being suggested for a new elementary gifted program seem to be in agreement.

Overarching point being that whereas some considered being on a "track" an all-or-nothing experience, there are more flexible, responsive placement strategies which research has shown to have the potential to provide benefits for ALL students. The research and book on the Total School Cluster Grouping (TSCG) model offer several interesting thoughts.
Posted By: 22B Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by indigo
That said, student placement by subject is often referred to as "ability grouping", rather than "tracking".
I would say "ability grouping", "tracking", "streaming" are exact synonyms.
Posted By: indigo Re: designing a new elementary gifted model - 09/27/14 06:15 PM
An individual's personal understanding and use of terminology is, of course, their own decision.

For those wishing to probe and understand the various degrees in flexibility afforded by various student placement strategies, information is available on distinctions in policy and in practice.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum